E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Song Files Have Weird Track Names

09-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Psychohoboes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3.20i

Song Files Have Weird Track Names

Hi all. Im new to the forum, so sorry if this is a FAQ.

So I recently bought a 320i, and plugged my standard ipod cable into the usb component of the car. It recognises the fact that my ipod is there and i can access the song files, but they're all under weird track names and folders.
"AA1S" or "CD2D" etc.

I would love to get iDrive to function using my ipod, but not purchase the $130 ipod adapter cable from BMW (considering my ipod only cost $180).

Thanks HEAPS for ANY responses
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
AGT SMTH
Just 1's and 0's...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 6MT

If you just use the USB plugin, the car will browse by filename. Those are your file names. If you have an mp3 on your computer and the Windows filename is "Michael Jackson - Sucks.mp3", when you copy it onto your iPod the iPod software will scramble the name to "AGXF.mp3" or something else weird. This is yet another anti-piracy thing that Apple does but other non-iPod MP3 Players (Sandisk, etc.) don't do. All that and iPod's cost three times as much, to boot!

Try plugging your iPod into your computer and then browsing to the iPod's internal memory from Windows Explorer. You'll see the same thing.

If you're just using the USB without the other iPod stuff, just put your files on a regular USB thumb drive and plug that in. I have a 16 GB Corsair Mini (it's like 1 inch long) and it fits great--as far as I'm concerned it's just a permanent part of the car.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0311116

Not sure about your year/specifics, but mine recognizes files one subfolder down. So in the root of the drive I have a bunch of folders "Artist A", "Artist B", etc. and each artist's files in there. Works great.
2009 328i E90 6MT | Black / Sports Package | BMWPP Intake, Exhaust, STB, Short Shift Kit, pedals, brake lever, ZHP shift knob | Zeckhausen CDV | Cool Carbon Pads | Alpine / Earthquake / MB Quart / Kenwood
Appreciate 0