E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > I hooked up Dension GW500 and AVR unit in USA

09-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
sricca
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

I hooked up Dension GW500 and AVR unit in USA

Refer to the post below

Last edited by sricca; 09-20-2009 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sricca View Post
I finished the install today - here is how it works.

The AVR unit hooks up inline with the dension 500 and your ipod. It also needs dc power.

IT has a whole bunch of cool hook ups like dvd reverse camera av1 av2...

Now I was told by anyone who I asked that the avr will not work on north american cars because there is no chance it could be programmed for the TV tuner option. Well this point is true, there is no way to program for tv tuner in us (unless someone could tell me how).

But the AVR unit has many other functions other then viewing in the nav display.

All functions are still controlled thru the cd changer input, not the tv tuner input. normally you would start all videos thru the cd changer input, then switch to TV input to just view - but not control - the gw500.

One feature I wanted is to show a list of videos that are in my ipod , then starting the video and have the video routed to back seat tv. This feature works great.

I just skipped hooking the harness to the nav computer but tapped into the 12dc in and spliced it into the cd changer dc line with the power for the gateway 500. Then used the RSE out into a 1x2 video DA (distribution amplifier), then went to the 2 rear LCD screens. I would think it would work the same on a BMW e90 as well.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is, you select a video and it starts from the last place you were in that movie - but lets say I want to start themovie from begining. Press Back on your cd payer controls, and the GW500 goes to the last video in the list - not the beginning of the clip you are watching. If you press and hold the cd back button, it will scan backwards - but it take a while to get to the beginning of a 2hr movie.

All in all it has great features , in USA you will not be seeing any video in the Nav, and the rear cam hookup is kind of useless - but the ipod video and it has a 12v trigger DVD video/audio hook up that works . I think it was worth the extra $200 for people who have the GW500
Since your Return key was broken, wanted to help out
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Nice! Once I saw that the OP didn't use paragraphs I wasn't even going to bother - then I saw that you cleaned it up and I read your version. You definitely did him/her a favor.
      09-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
sricca
Private
Rep

Are we in English Class?

Give me a break! I was posting some helpful info for people who are looking to buy a dension GW500 and the AVR unit. If the info is not for you dont read it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Give me a break! I was posting some helpful info for people who are looking to buy a dension GW500 and the AVR unit. If the info is not for you dont read it.
Come on... you are describing technical information about a pretty involved installation but wrote it down worst than an eighth grade essay... and without pictures to make it real difficult to make sense.

You are doing nobody a favor writing it like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
sricca
Private
Rep

OK point taken

I did figure one thing out after the first post.

When you sync your Ipod to Itunes, you could deselect the remember place under the Get info tab. To do this highlight the video clip or clips by clicking on them (for multiple clips use the command key plus a click to highlight more clips). Next click File at the top of the screen. Click get info. A new window will open up with multiple tabs. Click Options. Under the options tab you can change the remember place option to no. Also there is a volume change option. This is useful to raise the volume of some movies that may have encoded with low volume. Resync your Ipod now. It will dump all video on ipod and reload all video from scratch.

Now when you use your Gw500 with the AVR unit to select a video clip it will always start from the beginning of the clip.

I will post some pics of the menus on the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
sricca
Private
Rep

pics

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Dude, you did the hard part... you just didn't honor your hard work with a writeup that was worthy of it. If I hadn't thought your work had some value, I wouldn't have edited it.

I said nothing back about you personally... But that many lines of text, with poor punctuation and no paragraphs, ARE hard to read, whether the info applies to me or not. Take it as good feedback, or take it as a personal attack - it's really your call.
Appreciate 0