E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Swapping shocks between two E90s - question

09-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Question Swapping shocks between two E90s - question

Ok, need some advice from you suspension gurus!!

I plan to take 2 cars, put them on the lift and swap shocks-springs. One car is Msport suspension and another one is regular comfort suspension.

Question: Should there be anyhting else that needs to be changed? Like bolts, etc? Or mechanics would know this and just exchange the whole assembly?

Also, do I really need the ZSP control arms and what happens if I keep the regular ones - will they wear out fast on ZSP spring-shock combo or it's purely a handling issue?

heres why I'm asking this:

I'm asking because one guy locally has an Msport car that his wife drives and complains its too harsh. He is selling the springs and when I asked if he is willing to change shocks, he said sure. So we kind of thinking about swapping shocks and springs (his car done same milage as mine, 25k miles, and front shocks he replaced already, mine aren't, they are fine). So when we take cars to the shop, should i tell something to shop guys to watch out for? I mean i would not want to get his shocks and springs and later find out that there is some shitty little bracked that's missing and so on.

I am aware that Msport has thicker sways in the rear and he probably won't wanna swap those. Front sways are the same I think.

I know suspensions are used up a bit, but for me it is such a simple way to drop my car and new front shocks mean i really only need to worry about changing rears later (and i can do this from manufactuer SACHS wihtout paying silly OEM money anyway).

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tallest; 09-15-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0