BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

BPM

09-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 2000 328i

I will NEVER... EVER... buy from Umnitza again

***Class-action lawsuit information included below in thread***

Just like the title says, I will never buy from them again. They seem to run a shady, scam type of business with very poor business practices and HORRIBLE customer service, yet they say they have "devilishly good" service.

I will tell you about my situation with Umnitza and will include photos, videos and a complete email transcript of my conversation with Umnitza. The email attached is a 30 page long Word document which includes the dates and times of emails and is only there to back up my statements in this post. It doesn't include every single email conversation that I have had with Umnitza but the "Gmail conversation" attached is whole and complete in its entirety, I have only removed my last name, email address and mailing address for privacy concerns. I haven't modified Umnitza's emails at all since all their contact information is public. I am not trying to hide anything and will be fully honest about everything. I'm just telling the facts about what happened.

I bought the headlights December 24th, 2008. When I first received them I noticed that there were a number of things wrong with them. I should first say that one of the problems I say in the email is that they shipped both female ends but I found out that they had shipped the proper ends, I just didn’t put them together properly at first. I first noticed that the ballasts were damage with huge dents all over on both sides of both ballasts. These ballasts are made of very strong aluminum it looks like and you would have to smash them with a hammer or screwdriver to make these kind of dents. Pictures included. There were also other parts on it that were broken and the light bulb had fallen out because it was not proper secured and had been scratched from rolling around in the shipping box. I had these replaced and eventually got them in my hands. Umnitza also claims that one package kept getting bounced by USPS because of an “invalid” address, yet previous parts from Umnitza, as well as every other USPS, UPS, FedEx package I’ve had shipped to the address worked perfectly. It’s Ship Happens in Sumas, WA which is a mail handler and since I live in Canada it’s easier to have it shipped to Sumas and go across the border and pick it up. I eventually paid to have it shipped to Canada but I do find it quite strange that all of a sudden it just didn’t work. I still don’t know what happened and in no way was I trying to “blame” Umnitza for USPS bouncing it, which I stated to them many times throughout the email, but Umnitza instead refused to reply to my other concerns and only focuses on the fact that they believe it wasn’t their fault for the shipping. Unprofessional, poor service.

If you start reading on page 21 with the email on Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM you will get to the meat of the email. You will be able to tell that I had gotten very frustrated with the horrible service and the very unprofessional attitude that Umnitza was using to deal with the situation. They had tried to blame the damage to the lights on shipping and that it wasn’t their fault when the lights were wrapped extremely well with bubble wrap and thick foam pieces surrounding it and with zero damage to even the fragile cardboard box that it was packed in. Being very firm I laid out what exactly was false advertising with the help of a friend who is a legal assistant and requested that I have these returned with a full refund. I was then accused of blackmail by Umnitza because I stated in the email that I would also be posting on the forums about my experience, which by the way I didn’t, this will be my first post regarding this. I then corrected him in the next email with the proper legal definition of blackmail as well as extortion to make sure I covered everything. As you might be able to tell, this is a very unprofessional manner to deal with customers, especially of accusing a customer of blackmail, a serious criminal offence. After my email on Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM I was then told that Matt, the owner of Umnitza, would contact me Friday to discuss this.

On the phone I discussed with Matt that I was very unhappy with the service and that I wanted a refund. Matt remarked that I seemed a lot nicer on the phone than the emails that he must have read before calling me. I told Matt that yes I am, and I’m a reasonable guy but I don’t like to be screwed around with and if I need to I would take legal action. So we talked and we worked out a deal that Umnitza would give me a new headlight assembly, a mistake on my part. So eventually I got the headlight and started putting them in. I’ve run into nothing but problems (what’s new?!) while trying to install them and even took it to my indy shop and my main mechanic I always go to for everything said he wouldn’t touch it and to take it back to where I got it from. Then I noticed that the right xenon light stopped working completely. I was absolutely infuriated. I just sent Matt at Umnitza an email requesting that I have them refunded and that I will be contacting a consumer agency if I don’t have a reply within 2 weeks from September 13, 2009.

I understand that I have made a few mistakes with dealing with a company like this and being able to look over the whole situation there are many things I would change, like I would have demanded a refund from the start. However, I’m sure you will be able to see why I am very frustrated with this and hopefully I’ll be able to resolve this soon without having to deal with lawyers, as it is just more of a headache for me as well as for Umnitza.

I also understand that Umnitza seems to be very well regarded. In fact, one of my friends bought Angel eyes from Umnitza and is very pleased with them. However, I have been able to find more than a few people on the internet, like myself, that have had some bad experiences with Umnitza. I have since ordered OEM xenon replacement headlights from Tischer BMW, which are listed at $1855.86, which is more than THREE times the list price of $609.98 from Umnitza for the headlights I ordered. I have no problem spending the money to buy something good and I will continue to buy OEM as I have had pretty much nothing but problems with the majority of my aftermarket purchases. Nothing beats OEM fit and quality!!

The reason for this post is to gain some support and to inform the public of a problem with Umnitza, similar to filing a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs or BBB.org.

Media, 30 page Gmail conversion in Word format and website receipt for Umnitza purchase:

http://picasaweb.google.com/leslie.j...eat=directlink

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d...5965eaa7bc68bc

Last edited by italy430; 09-16-2009 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

My experiences with Umnitza was just okay. Owners seemed prideful and had a feeling of a used car salesman. So yea, stay away from Umnitza. I strongly believe that the way someone maintains his shop reflects what he's like...boxes all over the place...filers and folders not kept neatly...you be the judge.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dear italy430,

umnitza has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - I will NEVER... EVER... buy from Umnitza again - in the Vendor Comments & Supporting Vendor Info presented by Dell forum of Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...9&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
All our emails are confidential and proprietary between us and the customer. Even despite this, the email stream only shows how big of an effort was made to meet all your demands: we never wavered from our professionalism in solving your issues.

Often, what ends up being lost in translation is the fact that the products you are/may purchase from either us or other vendors are invariably replicas of OE parts and/or custom built to order parts that take time to assemble. While we make every conceivable effort to ensure they meet the OE parts standards, some customers cannot be pleased.

One thing you need to be aware of is our return policy does not accept parts that have been installed (and used for over 4 months), however, we were of course willing to help you with the product problem you were experiencing.

There will be no refund offered for parts that were installed on your car however if you want to discuss this via phone only, we'll be happy to do so.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
it seems Umnitza's response somehow got deleted so I posted it back up with my response...

"Often, what ends up being lost in translation is the fact that the products you are/may purchase from either us or other vendors are invariably replicas of OE parts and/or custom built to order parts that take time to assemble." .... I don't believe there is anything lost in the translation whatsoever. You said that perfectly yet, like every response I seem to get from you, it NEVER directly answers my concerns about your company.

I will try and make this as clear and direct as possible so that I, as well as the ppl on this and other forums will be able to see that you really are trying to the best of your ability to assist your customers in their needs and concerns...... Please explain why I was shipped damaged ballasts. I do not need to hear that they aren't OEM parts and that you have other vendors that supply you. You advertised on your site a specific product that was "assumed" to be brand new and in perfect working condition and was advertised as being non-OEM. And "assumed" can be legally used from all the evidence I've documented so far. It is without a doubt that you are responsible for your final product that you provide the customer. I cannot imagine shipping a customer a clearly damaged product even if I had received the product, damaged, from my vendor.

A couple reasons I just ran over re-reading the email that shows that you DID NOT do your best to help (this is not a full representation of the problems or concerns I have with Umnitza):

1) I informed you that I had not received my clear film protectors for my headlights that I ordered at the same time. I sent the email on Jan 21, 2009 and to this date have still not received them. (You can add that to the refund amount.)

2) I asked you to provide me with a receipt showing that the value of the goods I was paying for was $0 for the replacement headlight you shipped so that I wouldn't have to pay Canada Customs twice for the same headlight. You did not provide me with any such receipt.

3) I should also point out that the interior LED lighting "kit" that I ordered and in the first part of the email said I wanted to return is because they didn't have enough bulbs in the "kit", the bulbs that they did have, most did not fit and/or had something wrong with the connectors and the "kit" I'm referring too is actually a small, worn out, clear plastic baggie with the lights just dumped in, rubbing against each other with no protection. Again, very misleading with your advertising. Umnitza, take a look at Bimmian, they know how to put a proper interior LED lighting "kit" together. And I didn't make a fuss about this to Umnitza. Umnitza also claimed this interior LED lighting kit has OEM fit and finish....

4) The turn signal lights that I ordered from Umnitza claim that they have OEM fit and finish. They DO NOT have OEM fit and finish! Again, I did not make a fuss about this. http://www.umnitza.com/depo-front-tu...ked-p-329.html

5) The LED tail lights that I ordered also claim OEM fit and finish, no error messages, complete plug and play, 1 year warranty and no dealer reflash required. Perfect!!... if only it was actually true. They barely have OEM fit and finish, better than the turn signals and headlights tho, I have error messages that even the dealer couldn't put out, obviously not plug and play then, and speaking of the 1 year warranty I have a whole row of LED lights in my left tail light burnt out as well as a row in my left rear turn signal. Please ship me replacement bulbs. If you would like pictures or anything like that I can send you some. http://www.umnitza.com/eagle-eyes-ta...nly-p-323.html

6) Not only has every single product that I've purchased from Umnitza had multiple problems with it, Umnitza has had extremely poor customer service and I'm sure will all the above information I don't need to go into the false advertising on Umnitza's part or the fact that I'm extremely frustrated with this company. I'm sure anyone in my current situation would be as well. And then one of my xenon lights stopped working and after fiddling with it for about 1 hour I couldn't get it to work so I decided that was it and sent and email to Umnitza which they still have not replied to, and posted on the forums.

You state that you have a 4 month return policy and that you don't accept products that have been installed. You forgot to state in that policy what happens when you sell false advertised products. I have more than enough reasons to demand a refund and I will keep pursuing this.

If this whole issue is not resolved by September 28, 2009 I will take further action.

This reply will be posted to the other forum sites as well as emailing a copy of it to Umnitza. If Umnitza would like to contact me by phone they may do so and have my contact information. You may coordinate a time with me to talk on the phone by email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
My experiences with Umnitza was just okay. Owners seemed prideful and had a feeling of a used car salesman. So yea, stay away from Umnitza. I strongly believe that the way someone maintains his shop reflects what he's like...boxes all over the place...filers and folders not kept neatly...you be the judge.
albert I have to agree with you. I haven't seen his shop but I'm definitely not surprised at what you said.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

I'm considering a class-action lawsuit against Umnitza seeing as there are many people short money or product from Umnitza and I continue to find even more stories of it. It'd be more beneficial for everyone doing a class-action rather than trying to have all individual settlements.

If you have been or do know of anyone who has been screwed over by Umnitza, send them this info and get in contact with me, PM me. I'll be meeting with a lawyer in Seattle, WA on Monday to discuss the idea of a class-action lawsuit as well as an individual settlement.

As of now, Umnitza has told me they refuse to continue talking over email and I told Umnitza that I'd be willing to discuss things over the phone only if I recorded the calls. They rejected that. Funny how they don't want to discuss anything where it can be kept on record! Also, people that have contacted Umnitza, have you noticed their little speech at the end of all emails? It says everything in the email is protected under a US law. Interesting that, with all the companies I've dealt with before, I can't remember any one of them stating that in their emails. And especially from a company that deals with selling lights for cars! I could maybe see it from a lawyer or some sort of high class legal company but not Umnitza. Just little signs to watch out for.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
JAY'545
Rep
Drives: 545 04'

I have a 5 series and I bought the m5 frt bumper from them. It was has the openings for the fogs,needless to say they did not ship the brackets to hold the fogs.Called and they stated they would ship them out but they don't have them in stock. I've been waiting for almost 2 mths or more.Contacted them several times since and each time I get a different story. So I have given up on getting them if they come they come.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY'545 View Post
I have a 5 series and I bought the m5 frt bumper from them. It was has the openings for the fogs,needless to say they did not ship the brackets to hold the fogs.Called and they stated they would ship them out but they don't have them in stock. I've been waiting for almost 2 mths or more.Contacted them several times since and each time I get a different story. So I have given up on getting them if they come they come.
Ok, I'll make a note of this. Thanks for replying! The more people we get the better for everyone. I've posted on multiple forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
jsracerx
Jeff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 BMW

I am experiencing similar bad service. Purdhased a very expensive set of HID Fogs for my E36 M3. Took 3 months and 4 or 5 phone calls to get the full order so I could install them. The parts are not plug & play with standard light harness and I was assured. Several emails (they don't want to deal over the phone for some reason) later I am told to switch wires inside the lights, which doesn't work.

I can go on about this, but bottom line, these guys are a hack business IMHO. I DO NOT recommend anyone do business with them. I know there are a lot of folks who give glowing feedback on these guys, which simply amazes me based upon my experience. Of course there's a slew of similar quality and service issues posted going back several years.

Lesson learned, I will stick to the solid dependable guys like Turner, UUC, Pelican Parts, etc. I have done lot$ of business with those guys with never an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

More like "Um, I got ripped off"
      03-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
AW335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

WOW! That is all I can say from reading that lol. To be honest this is the first time I heard something like this though with umnitza. I have seen it all with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
NastyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
I'm considering a class-action lawsuit against Umnitza seeing as there are many people short money or product from Umnitza and I continue to find even more stories of it. It'd be more beneficial for everyone doing a class-action rather than trying to have all individual settlements.

If you have been or do know of anyone who has been screwed over by Umnitza, send them this info and get in contact with me, PM me. I'll be meeting with a lawyer in Seattle, WA on Monday to discuss the idea of a class-action lawsuit as well as an individual settlement.

As of now, Umnitza has told me they refuse to continue talking over email and I told Umnitza that I'd be willing to discuss things over the phone only if I recorded the calls. They rejected that. Funny how they don't want to discuss anything where it can be kept on record! Also, people that have contacted Umnitza, have you noticed their little speech at the end of all emails? It says everything in the email is protected under a US law. Interesting that, with all the companies I've dealt with before, I can't remember any one of them stating that in their emails. And especially from a company that deals with selling lights for cars! I could maybe see it from a lawyer or some sort of high class legal company but not Umnitza. Just little signs to watch out for.
update?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I just read all of this, I am surprised I did that lol. Good post though, at least we can see how they are doing business.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
Bisan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 & 1988 M3

I had a issue with them on a 1k dollar set of lights, he said it was an easy fix, I tried what he said, didn't work, stopped responding to my emails.

Would never buy again!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
Pyccak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

It funny how I ran across this thread, was just looking if anyone else had problems with Umnitza headlights, turns out I'm not the only one!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
I bought the angel eyes from them for the e46 and had no issues. When I ordered a rear bumper for the e46.. it was very poorly fitted and the gel coat was peeling. They didn't take care of the issue. So I wouldn't buy again either.
      01-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

+1 I got a bad experience also.
      08-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie335 View Post
+1 I got a bad experience also.
It seems I will be another with very bad experience...I am preparing all informations about my last order from Umnitza... then I will share the info.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
1astigM3
it ain't too goddamned beaucoup!!!
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
WOW!! just stumbled across this thread.. I am NOT surprised at all. I had my run ins with them 3 yrs ago. Back then i had an 07 E60. I ordered a set of black grilles. Paid them and they sent it out right away..I say, cool! I received the box which says E60. I opened it up, its a set of grilles for an e90!!!. I immediately contacted them, also sent them pix that it "truly" doesn't fit my e60. They said (forgot who i talked to) they will ship out a replacement. 4 weeks later, still no replacement. I gave up. Ended up just getting it on ebay. I paid my lesson on them. I will never order from them again. OP, goodluck on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Sorry OP, but this entire thread can be summed up with a really old axiom that some of us never learn....

"You get what you pay for..."

Tischer was $1800, Umnitza $600, coincidence?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I too was screwed by them when I had my E36. And when I went to complain, it fell on deaf ears. When I did a chargeback, they threatened me, and had me banned off of bimmerforums. Seems the owner of the forums is cozy with Matt and Orly.

Anyone do a chargeback? I was fortunate to get my money back.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
similar situation when I ordered DepoE46 headlights from them during my E46 330Ci days (2006 I think?). I was shipped a 5000K unit when I specifically requested a 4300K system, they ended up conning me to keep the 5000K after numerous emails and 3 months that I just gave up. This does NOT suprise me one bit from Umnitza, they are a trash company and I am suprised they are even a vendor considering the numerous complaints on forum reviews from this company.

BUYERS BEWARE
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I went to Umnitza years ago. They hooked me up on a few things on my old E46 M3.

I honestly didn't know they were still in business. I would have figured they would have folded way before HPF.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
^Well this thread is 4 years old so that could explain a few things..
You're right. lol I didn't see that.
Appreciate 0