ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Wiechers Sport Half Cage for Z4MC

So I've been trying to figure out what my options are for putting a half cage in to my 2006 Z4 M Coupe. There's the custom route, but that's pretty expensive and doesn't always yield the best results. If the shop you bring it to doesn't fully understand exactly what you're envisioning, you may be out of luck. The other route is a pre-made setup like the one available from Wiechers Sport. They offer it in a few different materials and a few options, like a X-Brace instead of a single diagonal, and the pricing seems competitive.

The only tricky part is that they're in Germany and the language barrier seems daunting. Until now! The good folks over at CA Automative (www.ca-automotive.co.uk) are based in the UK and can source any kit from Wiechers with a 3-4 week wait.

Here's a link to the pricing...

http://ca-automotive.co.uk/show_big-...WLnBqcGVn.html

The Z4 M Coupe's half-cage is a Type B cage so the top line at the above link is the pricing. If you want to add an X-brace, you can see pricing for that as well. By default, CA Automotive discounts the prices provided above by 15% to those outside of the EU. I believe we have multiple people interested in placing the order, the discount may go up to as much as 25%.

With just the default 15% discount and using the most expensive "Steel Cromo" option AND the X-brace (pretty much the most expensive route to take) the price comes in at 470GBP. Shipping would be around 120GBP. The total price including shipping in USD is therefore right around $1000. Not too bad if you ask me. Plus, if you don't want the X-Brace option or if you want to use slightly less premium materials, you can cut the price as low as $500!

It's a bolt-in kit so no permanent changes are made; however, I'm sure you can weld the kit as well.

So... who'd be interested?
      09-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

I'm not sure many people here actually track their cars. Thumbs up for you taking your car out on the track and actually racing.
      09-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I'd like to see some pics of this in the Z4M coupe...I think i'll probably go the welded-in version of which ever option I pursue...It just seems safer that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MCJJ View Post
I'd like to see some pics of this in the Z4M coupe...I think i'll probably go the welded-in version of which ever option I pursue...It just seems safer that way.
Definitely. I'll likely weld it as well and since a friend of mine is quite good at it, I'll just bring to him to be done. Simple.

But I should also point out that BMWCCA Club Racing rules require that tubing be, at a minimum, 1.75" thick which I think removes the "Steel Cromo" from consideration despite Chromoly being a stronger material. It seems to be in 1.5" tubing. If you're not planning to do club racing, no big deal. But it is also the most expensive option so saving the money also puts you within the specs the rules require.

And pictures can be found here:http://picasaweb.google.com/david.ra...titionRollBar# (I hope RussRamz doesn't mind!!)

Some highlights...

More here...
      09-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 570-4SL

I am in.

Thanks for initiating this.

BMW.SG - Singapore's Ultimate BMW Enthusiast Community
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

How safe is this roll cage? I have seen a lot of the experienced NASA guys (on another forum) poo-poo bars that are connected with bolts, or that too many bends in the main hoop, insufficient cross stabilitation, etc...

They might call this a "harness bar"....but I'm not sure...i'll have to ask over there.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

A harness bar is usually just a cross-brace that allows you to attach harnesses. Nothing more. This is most certainly considered a "half cage". But I should say that there is actually no entity out there that permits competitive racing using only a half cage.

That said, two things caused me to do some additional research. There is one bend at the top of the primary hoop. It is a very obtuse angle from what I can tell and, according to BMW CCA rules, you are allowed no more the FOUR bends in the hoop. The other thing I noted was that the diagonal (diagonals if you get that option) does not extend fully to the rear mount point over the opposite shock tower. The rules state that these bars should extend to as close to the mount plate "as practically possible". I have to assume that this leeway means that not extending all the way to the mount plate is safe; otherwise, it'd have an explicit requirement. If it extended further I think you'd be bumping in to trim. I see no other parts of concern...

So... it should definitely be understood that this is not a bar that'll be acceptable for wheel to wheel racing application. However, for the parts it does have, it meets or exceeds the rules. That is sufficient for me. I also like that if I wanted to ever go to a full cage (which I doubt will be the case with this car), I could likely just add on required braces to bring it to spec. I think this kit offers a very capable and safe setup to the person who goes to the track and wants the piece of mind of a more substantial roll-over protection.
      09-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep

JCz,

I hear you. One of my concerns is the number of bends in the main hoop...I can't tell by the pics, but if it is bent again on the sides, bilaterally, then that would be 5 bends...

This example: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...o-p-74008.html

Was ripped as being little more than a "harness bar" by several NASA guys...I only mention this because these guys are experienced racers and brought up several important points to consider when buying a roll bar...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MCJJ View Post
JCz,

I hear you. One of my concerns is the number of bends in the main hoop...I can't tell by the pics, but if it is bent again on the sides, bilaterally, then that would be 5 bends...

This example: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...o-p-74008.html

Was ripped as being little more than a "harness bar" by several NASA guys...I only mention this because these guys are experienced racers and brought up several important points to consider when buying a roll bar...
I've heard about the AP bar at the track and it's usually been part of a joke from a Porsche guy. I had never seen it in person or in pictures until now and I can say that I agree that it looks like it serves no more purpose than a harness bar. It has many more problems than just too many bends!

The Weichers kit looks significantly more intelligently designed!
      09-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Good news! I just got finished exchanging emails with the folks at CA Automotive. They can do the 15% off the list prices. The prices for the half cage, in USD, are as follows...

SteelST52 (40x2)
$473
X-Brace Option: $139

SteelST52 (45x2.5|40x2)
$506

Steel Chromo - Chromoly (45x1.5|41.3x1.5)
$621
X-Brace Option: $164

Prices are obviously approximated because of fluctuation in the exchange rate between GBP and USD but they should be pretty close.

Shipping to the US will in the range of $160-250. I am waiting to hear back on shipping costs to three locations, Boston/Chicago/LA, to get a general range -- I figure these cities will give a good idea to most people looking to get this.
      09-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep

Thanks for the initiative!

I'm based out in Singapore but if shipping is direct from CA, it shouldn't be a problem. Keep me posted.

Just curious, the X-Brace option looks like something similiar to the GT3 RS roll cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Good news! I just got finished exchanging emails with the folks at CA Automotive. They can do the 15% off the list prices. The prices for the half cage, in USD, are as follows...

SteelST52 (40x2)
$473

SteelST52 (45x2.5|40x2)
$506

Steel Chromo - Chromoly (45x1.5|41.3x1.5)
$621
X-Brace Option: $164

Prices are obviously approximated because of fluctuation in the exchange rate between GBP and USD but they should be pretty close.

Shipping to the US will in the range of $160-250. I am waiting to hear back on shipping costs to three locations, Boston/Chicago/LA, to get a general range -- I figure these cities will give a good idea to most people looking to get this.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

I might be interested, my gf is pretty worried for my saftey during mountain runs.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #13
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep

Any due date this group buy will be completed?

I think not alot of folks will pick this up.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I'd be interested if there's something for roadsters?
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

I don't think a roadster version is available.

And no "due date". It isn't really a group buy, either. Just a friend extension of a discount.

I'm probably going to buy mine by the end of the month regardless of whether others sign on. But let me know if you're interested... to the point of putting your name on a list...

1. JCz04Bimmer
      09-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quick update. For anyone located in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area, we can pool our orders to ship to one location and save on shipping. I have on person interested... anyone else?
      09-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #17
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep

Not in the US but i am still interested for a GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Quick update. For anyone located in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area, we can pool our orders to ship to one location and save on shipping. I have on person interested... anyone else?

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

JCz - Did you end up ordering the Roll cage? Curious how it went.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

I did not. I've been coordinating with another member on here to figure out if ordering direct from Weichers is more cost effective. That said, both options (from the UK distributor and from Weichers in Germany) present sizable shipping costs that approach the cost of the half-cage itself! I'm not really too keen on that.

I may go a custom route, honestly.
      12-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 561design View Post
I'm not sure many people here actually track their cars. Thumbs up for you taking your car out on the track and actually racing.
Really? It seems that a significant portion of the coupe owners on here partcipate in some sort of performance driving event!

The only problem with this cage is that it seems to intrude into the seat compartment, limiting how far back the seat can go. Not sure about everyone else but at 6'4'' my seat is damn close to touching the bulkhead.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammered View Post
Really? It seems that a significant portion of the coupe owners on here partcipate in some sort of performance driving event!

The only problem with this cage is that it seems to intrude into the seat compartment, limiting how far back the seat can go. Not sure about everyone else but at 6'4'' my seat is damn close to touching the bulkhead.
This is where swapping the stock seats out with something like recaro pole positions comes in handy!

Also I'm really considering picking one of these things up, and the advantage of having a german exchange student as a girlfriend is I get her to talk to the manufacturer and order from them directly

I'll update with shipping info when I find out
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
flat_out
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansaysso View Post
...... and the advantage of having a german exchange student as a girlfriend is I get her to talk to the manufacturer and order from them directly

I'll update with shipping info when I find out
any news?
Appreciate 0