BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

First ever...

This happened last night. Lost it on a tight right hand bend and took off into the trees. First ever crash I have ever had in 20 years of driving.

Garage have quoted £10k to replace most body panels, bonnet, all front lights, front wheels inc alloys, shocks, steering wheel, steering column, bumper, passenger door and 4 radiators (?)

Waiting for insurance to give the thumbs up.. . or down...

Attached Images

08-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
manufc4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

sorry 2 hear that! it looks a messy job, if u need get rid of that exhaust 4 insurance purposes and swap it for the stock i would be very interested. Not trying to make you feel worse its just first time ive seen it and love it and hopefully gives you an option in case.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

I took over an hour to saw the branches and tree stumps down so the winch wouldn't pull the car over them and rip the exhaust off. If the car is a write off I will PM you....
      08-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
manufc4eva
Private
Rep

cheers pal mayb in that case you should start up a tree trimming service to pay 4 that damage that way you can keep the car then ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

(Alex Simons friend posting on his account)

I was with simon at the time of the accident, in a car behind ish...

When we initially drove over to the customers site we had the windows open and I noticed a scraping noise coming from front left, this was apparent during some braking (not everytime) and mainly when turning left slightly.

When we arrived we looked over the wheel/disk etc and everything looked as it should, nothing in the arch either scraping - strange.

We were planning on checking before leaving, by driving the car slowly around the car park on left hand lock with other person outside next to it listening/watching - because we left site late we forgot about this.

I was driving a ford fusion, and the 3rd car was a Mazda 6 of some kind, diesel turbo

Simon was infront, I'd say he entered the corner at around 50mph, it was a right hand bend but do-able around 80-90+ in his car with the right line/driving IMO.

The Mazda 6 went round the corner fine, weird thing was he didn't even notice simon dissapearing into the hedge - neither did we when we went past around 10 seconds later.

I drove the fusion 1.4 around the corner at around 60 MPH in 3rd gear, it did not like it much but went round without much issue, understeering a bit.

Simon phoned and I didnt believe him at first, turned round fast (we were about 0.5 miles away at this time) and found him.

There was no skidmarks, right hand wheel was straight, left hand wheel facing left.

I cannot believe the car was unable to go around the corner at this speed, or alot higher - I've done it atleast 80 in mine.

With the BMs as you know, with the rwd you kinda chuck it into the corner anyway, whereas fwd you brake/select correct gear with plenty torque/revs and accel through the corner.

Simon had attempted to turn right but from what I can work out the car just ignored him, it doesn't even look like it tried to turn judging by where it went into the hedge.

I have driven this car, not to it's limits but I have driven it reasonably hard, and you get a reasonably large amount of under steer when it's nearing the limits/edge.

It's one of those things, no matter how many times you go over it you can't get your head around whats happened.

Car doesnt matter at the end of the day, only thing worth worrying about was that Simon was OK.

I have driven with simon often, he drives safely and capably, knowing the limits of the car, and how to drive it in different conditions, maintaining full control (in my opinion) at all times.

He does not drive it around like a lunatic, but has fun in it, afterall that's what most people on here bought them for no doubt.

When it's repaired I'm forcing him to warm the engine up/fluids etc and then we're going to give it some light abuse, I refuse to let this affect him in such a way that stops him enjoying the car he loves.

If anyone has any input on the onboard diagnostics that could be useful to assertain if there was indeed a fault with the front left wheel which from my point of view is the most likely case it would be great.

Sorry for the long rant!

135i soon to be back on the road and making my 306 rallye feel slow !!!
      08-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Any idea what the buy back cost would be if they did write it off? As it'd be a fun repair and potentially a much better option due to knowing someone who repairs to a high standard.
      08-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Esscolab,

Very sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully you're OK. I know Colchester well, where about did this happen??

On a slightly sombre note have you told the insurance co. about your exhaust mods - they can get funny sometimes and really all they need is any excuse not to pay out.

Take it easy and let us know how you get on.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

(Alex on simons login) It happened in earls colne on the business park.
As for the insurance - Simon had everything fully declared.
      08-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
(Alex on simons login) It happened in earls colne on the business park.
As for the insurance - Simon had everything fully declared.
Thanks Alex,

Good to hear all's covered.

Hope Simon gets the car back on the road soon. Will be very interested to hear about what actually happned to the stirring that may have caused this accident.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Wow, that hurts. Was there any gravel or slicks on the road which your buddy missed?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Nooooooo! Such a clean car! Sorry man. Glad you're ok. If it's not totaled, make it harder, faster, stronger!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

From Six Million Dollar Man "We can rebuild him!"

No gravel, road was dry as a bone, pitch black mind you and no road signs whatsoever. I know the road and drive it often, so am confused as to why one minute it's cornering the next I am flying through the trees.

I guess some things you just have to come to terms with and move on. Keep replaying the whole scene over and over again but still I can't work out what happened.
      08-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
manufc4eva
Private
Rep

i read a while back about the brake caliper issue this couldn't of caused it in anyway could it?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

manufc4eva,
your guess is as good as mine...
      08-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

is the left head light banged up? the right one looks okay. Wanna sell em?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
is the left head light banged up? the right one looks okay. Wanna sell em?
Cars been towed away for inspection, i was too tired after sawing trees to inspect the car in detail before it went onto the tow truck.

All I know is they gave me a never ending list of items that need replacing including all lights.
      08-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
135Dan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i

Esscolab

I feel your pain! At least you're OK. I must say you have some guts posting those pictures on the forum. I couldn't. I hope you get back behind the wheel soon whether in your car or a replacement.

On another note, are you going to push for looking for a cause? It's a little disconcerting that happened and I will think twice about my next hard turn!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

ouch... sorry to hear about your mishap. Good to hear that no one is badly hurt.

Like you said cars can be repaired or replaced, people cannot.

Hope you get everything sorted real soon.
      08-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

135Dan

Yes I have asked the BMW Garage to look at the ECU to see if anything failed at the time.

I really am baffled by what happened.
      08-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

@ Simon from Alex

I think we should go down there tommorow and check over the car for ourselves (the left hand side wheel)

If anything we could find something that sets your mind at ease..
      08-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post

Garage have quoted £10k to replace most body panels, bonnet, all front lights, front wheels inc alloys, shocks, steering wheel, steering column, bumper, passenger door and 4 radiators (?)

What about spraying/the rest of it?
      08-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #22
Lisav123
Girls can drive just as fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

so sorry to hear about ur accident, so scary glad ur okay at the end of the day a car is just a material object and its about you bein ok. a car is a car. cars come n go, hope the 135 is ok too.
Appreciate 0