E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What Sedan to get?

View Poll Results: What would you get with if you were in my shoes and why?
Black Sapphire with Prem/Sport Pckg - and Comfort Access 12 14.81%
Black Sapphire with Prem/Sport Pckg - and Logic 7 32 39.51%
Alpine white with M-sport - and Comfort Access 37 45.68%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

08-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Rooz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5; 2016 ZCP M3

What Sedan to get?

Hey everyone, am strongly looking into getting a 335 sedan 6spd. I'm coming out of a 2004 330i ZHP Sedan 6spd Jet Black on Beige leather.

The 3 cars I have it narrowed down to are as follows.

All 3 cars share the similar options as follows - Black Dakota leather, Sat Radio, Aluminum Trim. And here are the differences

1) Car one is Black Sapphire Metallic and has: Sport package, Premium Package, Heated Front Seats and Comfort Access

2) Car two is Black Sapphire Metallic and has: Sport Package, Premium Package, Heated Front Seats and Logic 7 (aka premium hi-fi system)

3) Car three is Alpine white and has: M Sport Package and comfort access - unfortunately this car would need to be transported from West Palm FL to Charlotte NC

With transportation costs on car 3, the cars are relatively within the same price range, the one with Logic 7 is ~$500 more than the other two. So am not sure what to do.

Car three is the most stripped option wise since it lacks premium package and heated front seats. But would be the best looking one probably. I like the premium package due to the lumbar support and bluetooth mainly (probably couldn't care less for the rest of the package). Comfort access is nice and really neat feature but not something I’ve had in the past, Logic 7 sounds cool, but is it worth the $500 difference So, am torn on what to do?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Ask yourself this question....

...did you walk up to your car every day and curse the fact that you bought a black car - or were you OK with maintaining it.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and decided that options were more important than colors (assuming that I could live with the color)

The premium has several important features for me. Memory/lumbar, dimming mirrors. While homelink is nice, we've all lived for years with the garage door opener clipped to the visor, or figured out some way to hard wire one ourselves.

If you can live with black, then get the car with the options you want. Logic 7 is pretty personal - did you dislike the audio in your current car enough to say - "I want to upgrade my audio?"
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Forget car 3, Msport is awesome, but not if you have to give up premium
You can always get Mtech pieces on the forum for cheap...
I got the rear bumper painted and installed for around $900, and the steering wheel for around $300...

Between the first two cars, I would say sound system is more important than CA, even though I love my CA... How big of an audiophile are you?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I don't have Comfort Access, so I don't know how well it really works. The reviews here are somewhat mixed. Some folks love it and others have had trouble with it.

I'd personally go with option 2

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

You can always retrofit a better sound system. You cant retrofit CA.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

I would order the car that I wanted in the color that I wanted with the options that I wanted. Is there some reason not to do this? Or not to keep the E46 for at least a little while longer? I've thought that the E46 was a little tighter than the E90, too, so I'd personally debate selling the E46 for an E90.

So, "None of the above" is my answer. I've purchased cars that weren't exactly what I wanted in the past, and I wasn't happy with them.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

I'd go with #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I got the rear bumper painted and installed for around $900, and the steering wheel for around $300...

Between the first two cars, I would say sound system is more important than CA, even though I love my CA... How big of an audiophile are you?
Agreed. Plus there are many other 3rd party body kits out there to choose from along with wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
However I understand it's a PITA to swap, something to the effect of having to relocate the original head unit as opposed to being able to remove it completely in order to maintain the ability to have the car's software updated.

Edit: Then there's the beauty of bluetooth integration.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone

Last edited by GregL; 08-10-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Get #2, CA is nice but not necessary.

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I'd get the Logic7 system over CA personally. Then again, the base radio is perfectly adequate so if you're not big into music or sound, you might think differently.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Don't rush a new car order

I'd get

M-Sport kit, M-Wheels, seats, steering wheel etc (comes in one kit in the US?)
Nav screen
Xenons
Active steering
extra interior/puddle Light kit

Don't if it jacks the price too much, as mentioned before I missed a couple of things due to getting the "fever" combined with a excellent end of month deal on a demonstrator....got all the main stuff - just the xenons

Cheers
stu
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I would suggest ordering the exact car you want. The wait is pretty brutal, but in the end you have what you wanted without making any sacrifices.
      08-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

All things considered though, I'd get #2 then #3. I would love to not manually unlocking my car everytime I open my door or just be able to drive off at the push of a button. I think option #2 is better because of the upgraded sound, that's the one thing I really want on my car; better sound better daily driver.

If you want a more sporty look, go for option #3. I'd personally lean more towards #3 for the looks. I'd sure miss my garage door opener though.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Logic 7 is standard on 335i, no?! So all cars should have L7 listed by you. In other words, car #1 has L7, CA and is $500 cheaper than car #2.

Edit: Unless we are talking about '09's here.

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Y'know, if anything I think we helped OP eliminate option #1 by our votes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

I would go for #2. I have both CA and Logic 7 on my car, and if I had to give up one, it would be the CA. It is kind of cool to have, but I never feel like I actually need it. Also, I like black over white...

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I agree with the above. CA is very handy, but you're going to get more use out of the L7. That's assuming you can tell the difference...if not, then it would be a waste.

See if your dealer has a car with and without L7, and spend a bit of time in each testing out the audio back to back. Then you can decide if it's worth the extra cost or if you would rather have CA.

Are they offering great deals on those? If not, then just order one with everything that you want. You'll always wonder 'what if' and kick yourself if you compromise...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #18
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

I find it interesting that despite the fact #3 is only 1 vote short of #2 (at present), not a single person who voted for 3 has written up even one line to explain why they think it's the best option.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Rooz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
...did you walk up to your car every day and curse the fact that you bought a black car - or were you OK with maintaining it.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and decided that options were more important than colors (assuming that I could live with the color)

The premium has several important features for me. Memory/lumbar, dimming mirrors. While homelink is nice, we've all lived for years with the garage door opener clipped to the visor, or figured out some way to hard wire one ourselves.

If you can live with black, then get the car with the options you want. Logic 7 is pretty personal - did you dislike the audio in your current car enough to say - "I want to upgrade my audio?"
The main thing I like on the premium is the lumbar, but the white car would be nice because it's been a few years since I've had a white car and always liked it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post

Pretty big audiophile to where, I dunno, never really admired any OE sound systems. Granted logic 7 is an upgrade compared to regular OE system, but by far still not what I would say to be a NICE sound system

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
I don't have Comfort Access, so I don't know how well it really works. The reviews here are somewhat mixed. Some folks love it and others have had trouble with it.

I'd personally go with option 2
from the times I've tried CA, it always did what it was supposed to

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
I mean, I'd assume that you can always change out the OE amp and add a real one and throw some speakers in the doors and add a sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I would order the car that I wanted in the color that I wanted with the options that I wanted. Is there some reason not to do this? Or not to keep the E46 for at least a little while longer? I've thought that the E46 was a little tighter than the E90, too, so I'd personally debate selling the E46 for an E90.

So, "None of the above" is my answer. I've purchased cars that weren't exactly what I wanted in the past, and I wasn't happy with them.
The incentives to get an 09 vs waiting for the 10's make it to where it's completely un-logical for me to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I'd get the Logic7 system over CA personally. Then again, the base radio is perfectly adequate so if you're not big into music or sound, you might think differently.
I'm pretty big into music and here is what I though of Logic 7 thus far, on low volumes while having both radio's at similar tunnings, the logic 7 was very slightly crisper. But you really only noticed the sound difference in higher volumes. The logic 7 has an easyer time killing road noise and engine /exhaust noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistu View Post
Don't rush a new car order

I'd get

M-Sport kit, M-Wheels, seats, steering wheel etc (comes in one kit in the US?)
Nav screen
Xenons
Active steering
extra interior/puddle Light kit

Don't if it jacks the price too much, as mentioned before I missed a couple of things due to getting the "fever" combined with a excellent end of month deal on a demonstrator....got all the main stuff - just the xenons

Cheers
stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
I would suggest ordering the exact car you want. The wait is pretty brutal, but in the end you have what you wanted without making any sacrifices.
As great as that sounds, for the price difference that's why am taking what I can get vs ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
All things considered though, I'd get #2 then #3. I would love to not manually unlocking my car everytime I open my door or just be able to drive off at the push of a button. I think option #2 is better because of the upgraded sound, that's the one thing I really want on my car; better sound better daily driver.

If you want a more sporty look, go for option #3. I'd personally lean more towards #3 for the looks. I'd sure miss my garage door opener though.
lol, sounds like you're finding your self in the same place as I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
Logic 7 is standard on 335i, no?! So all cars should have L7 listed by you. In other words, car #1 has L7, CA and is $500 cheaper than car #2.

Edit: Unless we are talking about '09's here.
Yeap, we are talking about 09's here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I agree with the above. CA is very handy, but you're going to get more use out of the L7. That's assuming you can tell the difference...if not, then it would be a waste.

See if your dealer has a car with and without L7, and spend a bit of time in each testing out the audio back to back. Then you can decide if it's worth the extra cost or if you would rather have CA.

Are they offering great deals on those? If not, then just order one with everything that you want. You'll always wonder 'what if' and kick yourself if you compromise...
The deals are great, too great to wait

Thanks everyone for the feedback, but am still undecided, I just hope I don't regret rulling out the car with the nicest interior (short of the trim): Option .5 lol jet black//saddle sport/premium/sat/heated fronts - That saddle with the black interior looks really sweet
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Keep in mind that if you won't get the premium you won't easily be able to retrofit bluetooth because there is no more pre-wiring on the 2009s. Bluetooth is a must have for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

mtech ftw
      08-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Rooz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

valid point... BT is quit nice, tried it a few times and was definetly worth it..... At this point I've pretty much ruled out option 3, still on the edge about the other two
Appreciate 0