Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheels that will last

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Wheels that will last

I'm really disappointed with the finish on the stock rims. I have the e92 335 sport package rims on my E90 and after a year they have plenty of chips in the finish. The wheels themselves don't seem to be damaged, but the crappy paint BMW used isn't holding up well.

I'm trying to decide if I should powdercoat them or pick up a new set of rims.
For powdercoating, does anybody know if the material used on the BMW rims is safe for the baking process? I know with certain materials used in wheels they lose integrity when reheated.

If we're talking rims, what are some good brands/finishes I should look at. Do I really need to look at powdercoated rims? Or are there other finishes available that will last?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
its not bmw's fault. its the company that bmw contract to make the wheels. actually its not their fault either. you're bound to get rock chip regardless. the only way to protect your wheels is to clear bra them. not sure if thats even possible. you can buy the most expensive wheels out there and the wheels will still chip.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Flea7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT/F48 X1/F430/F12

Garage List
2016 X1  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
2005 Ferrari F430  [0.00]
2014 Ferrari F12 Be ...  [10.00]
Paint chips and dings on the finish of your wheels are inevitable, especially here in Seattle. You can have the best, quality finish available......you can't prevent them.

Seattle = shitty roads

Huge pot holes, uneven pavement, rock and debri on the highways, contruction/gravel trucks on the left lane. ETC.

Just plan to refinish your wheels every few years.
      08-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Flea7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT/F48 X1/F430/F12

Garage List
2016 X1  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
2005 Ferrari F430  [0.00]
2014 Ferrari F12 Be ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
its not bmw's fault. its the company that bmw contract to make the wheels. actually its not their fault either. you're bound to get rock chip regardless. the only way to protect your wheels is to clear bra them. not sure if thats even possible. you can buy the most expensive wheels out there and the wheels will still chip.

clearbra........hmmmm....never though of that. Maybe on my chrome 4" lip? has it ever been done?
      08-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Wheels are going to take some road abuse
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Even though BMW doesn't make the wheels it's ultimately their responsibility to ensure the quality of the product that's sold on their car. I'm not trying to knock BMW, I really want to find a way to have nice looking rims that last.

Not all finishes are created equally. My wife's Murano is 3 plus years old and has aluminum wheels that are painted. This car sees all the abuse, winter driving, gravel roads. Basically all the places I won't drive my nice car. And you know what? Not a chip or ding in the finish on the wheels (the hood is a different story though).
I know it's possible to have a nice finish that will last. That was why I'm asking fellow enthusiasts if they've had experience with a good quality finish. If I can't be pointed towards an aftermarket wheel manufacturer that makes a good wheel at a reasonable price that will hold up then I'll investigate powdercoating.

My concern with powdercoating is the material used in the stock rims and their casting process. I know certain wheels can be weakened by the baking process and I don't want to take that risk.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
Even though BMW doesn't make the wheels it's ultimately their responsibility to ensure the quality of the product that's sold on their car. I'm not trying to knock BMW, I really want to find a way to have nice looking rims that last.

Not all finishes are created equally. My wife's Murano is 3 plus years old and has aluminum wheels that are painted. This car sees all the abuse, winter driving, gravel roads. Basically all the places I won't drive my nice car. And you know what? Not a chip or ding in the finish on the wheels (the hood is a different story though).
I know it's possible to have a nice finish that will last. That was why I'm asking fellow enthusiasts if they've had experience with a good quality finish. If I can't be pointed towards an aftermarket wheel manufacturer that makes a good wheel at a reasonable price that will hold up then I'll investigate powdercoating.

My concern with powdercoating is the material used in the stock rims and their casting process. I know certain wheels can be weakened by the baking process and I don't want to take that risk.
..i think you'll be fine going with a powdercoat, pc'd my stocks..they held up better than my old vmr's..

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

You're title is a little misleading

I thought you were asking about the quality of different manufacturing processes of wheels.

Anyways, as aleady mentioned above chips and nicks in your wheels finish are inevitable no matter the quality wheel finish.

If you're looking for a great quality wheel over all, I suggest you take a look at ForgeStar wheels; flow form casted, lightweight, and high strength
Appreciate 0