XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

07-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Thumbs up VIDEO of my Retrofitted rearview camera

Hello guys,
Finally here is the video and this picture, hope you will get a better idea of the system working, I did a YouTube video filmed with a regular digital camera, so quality is not so good.
Sorry but I did not take pictures of the installation process.

See video here:

Here a couple of pics of the camera itself

Last edited by motex; 08-03-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
stixx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i / X6 xdrive40d

With a white x6 this camera looks a bit ugly
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post
With a white x6 this camera looks a bit ugly
You can just paint it Alpine White and it will blend in better.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Hello guys,
Finally here is the video and this picture, hope you will get a better idea of the system working, I did a YouTube video filmed with a regular digital camera, so quality is not so good.
Sorry but I did not take pictures of the installation process.

See video here:
Wow. Video quality looks much better than stock. How much did the whole system run you and did you have to install a unit to factory system that adds an auxilary input that you tie into for the camera? If so are there extra inputs for other devices like Playstation, etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Wow. Video quality looks much better than stock. How much did the whole system run you and did you have to install a unit to factory system that adds an auxilary input that you tie into for the camera? If so are there extra inputs for other devices like Playstation, etc?
I bought the system from a company in Israel and it cost me 250 Euro's for the interface and 150's Euro for the camera, that means 400 Euro's ($564) without shipping, I did the installation myself, nothing special, just follow the instructions, it took me about 7 hours because I was very carefull taking off some trim pieces without braking one......today I will do the same job in half the time at most.
The good thing is that you can choose from different options of cameras, so you can even get a better resolution than mine, but for me this one was enough and much better than the factory one. At night is a beauty, believe me.
The system is simple, a little interface box, same size as for the factory iPod interface, a set of cables and the camera itself. There are 2 or 3 ( don't recall now) spare inputs for TV, DVD, Playstation, since all the installation is done, you just have to plug the output RCA's into the interface RCA's, and you got it, I did a test installing a DVD and saw a movie in my 6.5" screen, what I'm planning to do is to have an extension for those extra inputs and leave it below one of the front seats, that way will be easier to reach the RCA's anytime.
The way of doing that is simple, you just push the MENU button from your iDrive 3 second and the system switches to a secondary Video input and so on.
I will find the way to post the instructions of the interface here for your better understanding.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
You can just paint it Alpine White and it will blend in better.
That's a good idea !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Looks good.

I wonder how the installation will affect the warranty.
      07-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Looks good.

I really don't know, but the system installation is almost the same as installing a radio or alarm system, it really doesnt interfere with the car CID ( central information display) the only issue will be that you have to make 1 hardwire to the CAN cable of the car in order to have video in your iDrive screen.
The installation is so simple, that the car main software does not require re-programing, but when it comes to warranties.......there is a lot of small letter to read, I did it on my own risk, so far, so good
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I really don't know, but the system installation is almost the same as installing a radio or alarm system, it really doesnt interfere with the car CID ( central information display) the only issue will be that you have to make 1 hardwire to the CAN cable of the car in order to have video in your iDrive screen.
The installation is so simple, that the car main software does not require re-programing, but when it comes to warranties.......there is a lot of small letter to read, I did it on my own risk, so far, so good
It needs to be more complex than one wire.

What happens when you put the car in reverse? It has no knowledge of car mode? Do you turn the camera on and off manually irrespective of drive mode integration?
      07-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
believe me is no complex at all, the cable I mentioned as "CAN" cable, is a data cable from the car to the iDrive screen, so the reason for hardwire that cable is to get the data transmitted by the reverse gear to be transmitted to the video interface as well, so when you put the car in reverse, the camera goes on in a flash !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It needs to be more complex than one wire.

What happens when you put the car in reverse? It has no knowledge of car mode? Do you turn the camera on and off manually irrespective of drive mode integration?
Forgot to tell you there are 2 more cables to hardwire, both are to give 12volt power to the camera and to the interface, those 2 cables have to be hardwire from any accesory of the car, for example the cigarrete lighter. I used for the rear camera the 12volt output that the car has on the right side of the trunk, and for the interface I used the cable from the front cigarrete lighter. But the real one that you must follow the instructions is the one that connects to the CAN wire of the iDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks good.

Next week I will take it to the dealership and we will run a scan test to see what it will show
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
youngien
Rep
Drives: X6

looking good

Those are great looking rear view camera! I wonder weather that Isreali company has the side view camera for x6.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
The video interface is made in Korea, they are just a reseller, you will have to ask them direct
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Awesome workmanship. +1
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Do you have PDC as well. Can you have a split screen of camera and PDC graphic?

Also, what is the purpose of the overlay graphics on the screen. Are they similar to the BMW system where the overlay graphics change colour as you move towards a object for collision detection?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Do you have PDC as well. Can you have a split screen of camera and PDC graphic?

Also, what is the purpose of the overlay graphics on the screen. Are they similar to the BMW system where the overlay graphics change colour as you move towards a object for collision detection?
I do have PDC in my car but to be displayed on a splitted screen, you need to have th 8.8. NAV screen instead, I do have the regular 6.5" screen

The PGL ( parking guide lines) is just a plain graphic to show you how close you are from an object, what I did was I parked near a wall and moved the car backwards until I reached the red lines, thats 50cms from the wall which still a good gap between your car and the object behind, so you can use it as a reference, or just delete it from the display and an open view of whats behind you, the PDC sounds will help you anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

do you have any contact info of that company or any pictures of the camera/interface ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #19
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
I do not have a link for the manufacturer, I do have a link for the people who sold me the system, www.component.co.il
Check one of my previous posts for pictures of the interface itself
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
us_matrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY14 M5 Black Sapphire

Hi,

Great job! I have a 08 X5 and does not come with factory rear view camera or PDC. Only has Navigation. Did you replace your factory rear view camera or your car does not equipped with rear camera? Becasue I was wondering if I can install this camera and interface with all the function that you have if I do not have Factory rear camera.

I watch the video from you tube and it showing TV option and parking guide assistance etc. Did you have dealer program it to get that work or all can just do it myself? Can you give me the URL and price where to get it please?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
us_matrix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY14 M5 Black Sapphire

It would be great if you could post the instruction or how to install it.

Quote:
I bought the system from a company in Israel and it cost me 250 Euro's for the interface and 150's Euro for the camera, that means 400 Euro's ($564) without shipping, I did the installation myself, nothing special, just follow the instructions, it took me about 7 hours because I was very carefull taking off some trim pieces without braking one......today I will do the same job in half the time at most.
The good thing is that you can choose from different options of cameras, so you can even get a better resolution than mine, but for me this one was enough and much better than the factory one. At night is a beauty, believe me.
The system is simple, a little interface box, same size as for the factory iPod interface, a set of cables and the camera itself. There are 2 or 3 ( don't recall now) spare inputs for TV, DVD, Playstation, since all the installation is done, you just have to plug the output RCA's into the interface RCA's, and you got it, I did a test installing a DVD and saw a movie in my 6.5" screen, what I'm planning to do is to have an extension for those extra inputs and leave it below one of the front seats, that way will be easier to reach the RCA's anytime.
The way of doing that is simple, you just push the MENU button from your iDrive 3 second and the system switches to a secondary Video input and so on.
I will find the way to post the instructions of the interface here for your better understanding.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_matrix View Post
Hi,

Great job! I have a 08 X5 and does not come with factory rear view camera or PDC. Only has Navigation. Did you replace your factory rear view camera or your car does not equipped with rear camera? Becasue I was wondering if I can install this camera and interface with all the function that you have if I do not have Factory rear camera.

I watch the video from you tube and it showing TV option and parking guide assistance etc. Did you have dealer program it to get that work or all can just do it myself? Can you give me the URL and price where to get it please?

Thanks.
I will try to explain what do you have to do.
Since you have navigation, it means you have the 8.5" screen, mine is 2" smaller in width, my car did not come with rear view camera, just PDC, so what I did is I bought both items, the first one is the interface that is the one that makes all the electronic job and sends the video signal to your NAV screen, and the second is the rear camera itself , so answering your first question, YES you can install the rear view camera as I did.

As for your second question, the best thing about this system is that it does not need any dealer re-programing, after you install the system, everything works fine and the main car computer will not notice any changes !

The video interface has 3 extra options you can install later one, like a DVD, TV and Playstation or even a front night vision camera, it comes with 3 extra sets of RCA's

Regarding buying the system, after some research I made, I found the manufacturer of the interface which is in Korea and for my surprise is not the same manufacturer for the camera, since I did not know this before I bought the system, I bought it from this people in Israel http://www.component.co.il/ it is a little more expensive buying from this people.

Now, buying from 2 different suppliers is not so complex, I will give you here the 2 URL's that will make you save a lot of bucks !

The manufacturer for the camera is: http://www.resunshop.com/ , I already have a contact person called " Runner " e-mail address is: resunshop@gmail.com , please tell him you got the name from Bernie from Costa Rica

The manufacturer for the video interface is: http://www.qdis.co.kr/product/bmw356.asp
I also have a contact person here called Christina, e-mail : a20920@qdis.co.k

Both are great persons, hope now you have a better picture and wish you good luck in your project, I installed mine myself without any electronic knowledge, just following 3 easy steps to make the system work.
Best regards and good luck !!
Bernie
Appreciate 0