E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wash / Wax / Detailing / Touchup Supplies > Clear Bra installed today, pix to follow tomorrow.

07-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Clear Bra installed today, pix to follow tomorrow.

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
hey gang,

i'm going to have a clear bra installed on my BMW today. lifetime guaranty.

so i arrive at Proform, company name is "Maryland Performance Works LTD". proform is the name of the 3M film. i've got the camera out ready to take pix of the install in progress. as i put the view finder up to my eye, i burst out laughing. i can't see S_ I T . it's clear, you can not see it on the car. you can see a slight line on the bonnet where the film ends and the hood is not covered by the film.

Rob said this stuff, from 3M is not cheap. he goes thru about $50K of this stuff a year. he covered the front bumper cover, to include below the opening, front portion of the fender,(cow, or splitter section area) head lights, fog lights, 24" up the hood, both mirrors, and all 4 doors w/ clear edge guard. sorry i can't show pix, but like i said, you can only see this stuff where it stops, like the slight line, 24" up the hood.

rob said you can sand it(K-Block), buff it, polish it. anything you can do to the paint, you can do to the film. if it gets a scratch on the film, just use 70% alcohol solution, and it will take out the scratch. he advised the only time this stuff will fail is when something impacts the hood that will cause a dent. but the tensile strength is much greater than an area of the car w/out the film on it. so it is now much more impervious to being damaged where is film is on the front of the car.

i can show pix during the day time tomorrow of the tint. the finished tint number is 38%, all around. got to keep it legal. 35% all around is what is allowed in Maryland on a passenger vehicle. when i arrived they were installing the blueish colored tint, the same as seen on a new mercedes benz, on to Rob's jeep. UV protection block is 99%. cool looking stuff.

so this stuff is not cheap, but when my wife's Volvo dies, she will be driving the 335 up and down I-95 on a daily basis. this will certain keep the frequent stone chips away f/ the car. i hope to be in my new E93.

rob, at proform is the only certified installer in MD. only doing this because i plan to keep the car a while. and when my wife stars to drive it to work, (up & down I-95, 88 mi. round trip) the stone chips to the front of the BMW will pile up quick. i filled in the few (6) paint chips w/ touch up paint 2 days ago, so it could dry for a day. then went to my preferred body shop,
PJ's Body and Paint Shop 806 Bel Air Rd. bel air, md.
they K-Blocked all the filled in stone chips, so it looks like new and no chips under the clear bra. they would have been visible.

will take pix as the install progresses. might have tint done too. will keep it legal. no darker than 35%. will ask for 40% as a finished results.

So anyway my question to Rob was, if I’m in an accident and the film is removed off a section it was applied to will an ins. co. replace it.
He advised only if it was installed by an improved installer.
He is, and is the only one in MD at the time.
can't beat that...
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:14 AM
To: 'Rob @ Proform'
Subject: RE: appointment

hey Rob, yes, that was a nice conversation today. i have about 3 or 4 tiny stone chips on the front part of the bonnet where the clear bra will go. i have touch paint that I can fill in ahead of time if you can K-Block it and polish it before the clear bra goes on.
i am not sure how a tiny chip looks under the clear bra that is not touched up. So I divert to your expertise.

anyway , looking forward to the improvement to the BMW. Glad the tint man is on board w/ matching the price of my local tint installer $175 for all 5 windows. not the windshield.
see ya Friday early afternoon,

ps. 40% total would be great.

Sent: Monday, 20 July, 2009 10:34
To: DBA email
Subject: appointment

Hi Dave, was great to speak with you, The tinter can do the $175 with 40% so it is legal ...see you at 1 on this Friday the 24th ... address is below...Rob

Rob Freeman
PROFORM PROTECTIVE FILMS
Maryland Performance Works
3220-D Corporate Ct.
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Ph: 410-750-8371
Fax: 410-750-8370
Toll Free: 866-PRO-3682
Web: www.proformauto.com

Last edited by Spydeputy; 07-25-2009 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
RX7guy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7

Good to know.

I recently purchased by 07 335i with the clear bra on from the previous owner. It was on there from day 1. I'm not sure if I would pay $600 or so for the clear bra myself, but I was absolutely thrilled to buy a used car without a single chip, scratch or scuff on the front of the car! It should help with resale and keeping you happy if youre the type who gets annoyed by any chip or ding
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7guy View Post
Good to know.

I recently purchased by 07 335i with the clear bra on from the previous owner. It was on there from day 1. I'm not sure if I would pay $600 or so for the clear bra myself, but I was absolutely thrilled to buy a used car without a single chip, scratch or scuff on the front of the car! It should help with resale and keeping you happy if youre the type who gets annoyed by any chip or ding
How visible is it on white , and can you tell from looking at it?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Frasc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I had one put on my Black Sapphire 328 Sedan and you can only see it if you look from body of the car towards the front. If you stand in front of the car and look at it, you can't see anything. I had VentureShield put on by an e90 poster that is certified and does it. Looks great and I have zero chips on my new car. $700 for the piece of mind is well worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I have mixed feelings about it. Wouldn't even think of it until I got stones on my hood from a dump truck. Two chips went down to bare metal and would not have been prevented by a clear bra. Maybe 3 or 4 other small chips would have been saved by a bra.

So what's the net result if I had a bra? Still two deep chips. And is the intent to someday remove the bra? I see a E46 at work with one and it seems discolored. I also saw a Saab where you can clearly see where its edges are. Not sure if they were a cheap job on those two cars or what.

It still seems that putting the bra on is like keeping the film on your iPod or BlackBerry. It's nice to protect things, but it may be at a Monk level or something. Believe me, if $600 could have prevented my chips, it's worth it. But it wouldn't have, and then I question how that film looks down the road. Maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere, like on a Denon 1910....with $300 to spare.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

i wouldn't do it on AW...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

3m makes a cheaper one
      07-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I just ordered a 535i M-Sport yesterday and want to install a clear bra as soon as it arrives. I wasn't aware this place even existed, even though it's only 3 miles from my house. How much is he charging you? Tried to use the contact info off his website, but the site appears to be broken. Maybe I'll just stop by and ask one day after work...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

where are the pictures , spydeputy ?

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
333sp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 fast

[QUOTE=Spydeputy;5576765]hey gang,

rob, at proform is the only certified installer in MD.

So anyway my question to Rob was, if I’m in an accident and the film is removed off a section it was applied to will an ins. co. replace it.
He advised only if it was installed by an improved installer.
He is, and is the only one in MD at the time.
can't beat that...
That someone would have to claim this total falsehood to try and get work (so very typical too) as opposed to letting the work speak for itslef, pretty much says it all, but for anyone to actually believe it.... I don't know if it is more sad or funny.

"rob, at proform is the only certified installer in MD".... are you serious? Is he serious (I know the answer to that one)? Are the other umpteen certified installers listed on 3M's website all people who hacked the site and added their names or what?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Where_to_Buy/

There is an old race-car-driver adage that fits this to the tee...."if you have to say what you are you ain't"

Anyone ever seen this flick?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
333sp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
i wouldn't do it on AW...
As white & pure as the driven snow.

Partial hood film ends just in front of squeegee