E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Interesting Fuel Additive - good or bad for us?

07-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

Interesting Fuel Additive - good or bad for us?

Has anyone heard of or tried this in their tanks? After reading many boaters forums (look some up on this discussion point, like our e90post, many boaters are swearing by this product) about the effects of ethanol, and some have suggested that is what is dooming our HPFP's this product seems interesting. Not saying that it would or wouldn't work or help, just opening up a discussion point in regards to this. It seems to be readily available in Wal-Marts, etc. in their boating/sporting departments. Anyways, don't fry me for just asking the question, good, bad or indifferent it is just a talking point.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Cheers.

PS - anyone know anything about this Chevron Oronite?

http://www.chevron.com/products/oronite/
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Just some more information from Hanckel Marine in SC. I think I may try this product, but am still wondering if anyone has heard any good or bad, or if there are any boaters out there who have tried it? Seems like most agree it is the Ethanol that dooms our HPFP's and this may help it...but again I am no expert, just looking for a preventative before anything happens. Sorry to "beat a dead horse", but I stumbled upon this stuff and thought it may be of reasonable benefit. So before anyone thinks I have any ties to this stuff, it is sold in major boating and department stores, I had never heard of this stuff until today, and it is a product of a major corporation that is publically traded, so nothing in it for me other than getting possible good or bad results.

Cheers

the write up from Hanckel Marine:

Ethanol Warning

Boaters are now faced with a new problem- ethanol fuel. For years, gasoline contained MTBE, and additive which controls the fuel's octane properties. The additive is being phased out, and now much of the nation's fuel supply is a blend of 10% Ethanol and 90% gasoline, commonly referred to as E- 10.

Ethanol presents several problems to boaters. The immediate impact of the formulation is a loss of horsepower and fuel economy. Early indications show drops of three to five percent in both categories. The loss of range sounds small, but adds up on boats that are often already stretched to the limit in terms of fuel needs. Additionally, ethanol is a very effective solvent, and has a tendency to dissolve old coatings of varnish and dirt in existing fuel systems. This can lead to plugged fuel filters, damaged injectors or fuels pumps and other mechanical problems.

The added amounts of particles associated with ethanol fuel may warrant upgrading filter systems. Many engineers are now recommending that boats using ethanol fuel need to use ten micron filters. Pre E-10 systems will likely be using twenty-eight micron filters. Manufacturers, such as Yamaha, have been quick to respond to ethanol fuel use by introducing replacement ten micron filters.

The corrosive nature of ethanol can affect fuel lines and other components, causing them to crack and fail. Many older boats will require replacement of all fuel hoses and, possibly, other system components. Especially affected are boats equipped with fiberglass tanks. Many older vessels must have the fiberglass tanks replaced prior to using E-10 fuels, or face certain engine failures. Please let us here at Hanckel Marine inspect your tank, and replace it for you if needed. We have tank resources available.

Water in E-10 fuel is another problem that boaters must deal with. The introduction of water on E-10 fuel can be disastrous. E-10 can hold up to four teaspoons of water in suspension per gallon. Once this saturation point is exceeded, the solution separates and the gas floats on top while the ethanol and water mix on the bottom. This event is called "phase separation." Ethanol fuel can absorb enough water to reach its phase separation point in just over three months at 70% humidity. This water that is in the fuel system is what causes the motor to run poorly.

While the phase separation slurry in itself can cause problems by clogging fuel systems, the more immediate problem is that the remaining gasoline has now lost its original octane value which can cause poor running and, in some cases, engine damage. When phase separation occurs, the fuel should be drained and replaced. Our service department has the capability of pumping and disposing of any old fuel in your tank.

Fuel storage and winterization has to be handled differently when using E-10 fuels. Manufacturers are warning that fuels need to be stabilized if unused for as little as two weeks. Not all stabilizer additives are a must for ethanol fuels.

Hanckel Marine recommends and carries Star Tron fuel treatment. Once tanks are cleaned of any old fuel and components are upgraded, fill your tank completely with fuel and add Star Tron fuel treatment.
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

The only product that seems to work well for me is the BMW fuel treatment.

I am always concerned with using anything else due to the direct injection and seemingly ease of spark plug fouling.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
illone
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Check out "torco accelerator" if you want to boost your octane and lower your knock threshold, run more timing, and run more boost.

torcoracefuels.net
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
i have been using Lucas Octane Boost to about every other tank.
no sure why but fuel mileage was 28 mpg. car is suppose to only per 26 mpg per BMW.

bought 2 cases f/ someone who got them f/ amazon.com. $75 each.

Last edited by Spydeputy; 03-04-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I run this in pretty much everything I own - bikes, lawn mower and I don't drive the convertible much and store it for the winter, so use it in that without issue.

I use the marine blue stuff which has more ethanol protection than the standard red stuff.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Have you ever had any FP problems? I am really not looking for an octane booster, as I have read so many different things about them (mostly bad, but if there is a good one I am open to use it). I am just looking for something that will maybe get rid of the periodic shakes at idle and ward off potential FP problems. So many believe it is the Ethanol in the fuel that is causing the failures of our FP's, alnong with the poor engineering of these, you would think BMW would have a better FP or at the very least a solution for all of us 335 owners. I find myself looking for my own solutions to help their issue, but my problem and eminent headache.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I purchased some StarTron today, so we will see, hopefully the car runs great and I never have any fuel pump issues, but we will see. I may call them and see if they have had anyone else with weak ass FP's that have used this and it helped?

Wow, that is a lot of octane booster, does it help and do you notice a difference?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
hi GOT PSI. why would the plugs be orange? i have read that most of these type of additives don't really do what they clam, and might be a waste of money.
but is there a down side that i don't know about. i guess i could pop one of the plugs out and take a look. if you have more info, i would appreciate hearing it. lord knows i don't want to screw up my BMW or void it's warranty.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
detrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi M-Sport/Dinan S2

Used Outlaw octane booster with MMT a total of three times per the manufacturer's concentration recommendations.

I think it may have fouled my fuel system, as the last time I used it the car threw multiple misfire codes at idle. I stopped using it and no more misfire codes. Umm.

Unfortunately, my N54 now shudders for a couple of minutes during cold starts. Not sure if it is related.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

is widely reported that regular use of octane boosters with mmt will turn your plugs orange and foul them.

Occassional use should be fine but not too often.
Also orange plugs could be a warranty killer.

Better to mix in race gas or go to a stealth methanol system.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrick View Post
Used Outlaw octane booster with MMT a total of three times per the manufacturer's concentration recommendations.

I think it may have fouled my fuel system, as the last time I used it the car threw multiple misfire codes at idle. I stopped using it and no more misfire codes. Umm.

Unfortunately, my N54 now shudders for a couple of minutes during cold starts. Not sure if it is related.
Shudder could be caused by bad plugs. I had a shudder (hiccup) and it went away when I changed plugs.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
i have been using Lucas Octane Boost to about every other tank.
no sure why but fuel mileage was 28 mpg. car is suppose to only per 26 mpg per BMW.

bought 2 cases f/ someone who got them f/ amazon.com. $75 each.
+1 Lucas additives are the best

Redline oils, Lucas additives, Shell pump gas
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
detrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi M-Sport/Dinan S2

I only have 5K miles and used MMT based octane boosters three times in the past.

Now I am experiencing a series of mild shudders during cold starts that clears up after a couple of minutes of idling (as the tach settles to 600 RPM.)

Do you think my plugs are fouled?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
qwks6
Rep
Drives: '13 650i Gran Coupe

just add Toluene to your gas. Much better results than these octane boosters, however your cats won't like it!
Appreciate 0