BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

BPM

07-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Taking M3 on Ferry in Washington State

I know this may sound stupid but I was wondering if any WA state guys have experience taking their M3s on the ferry here: Edmonds - Kingston/WA-104 ferry to Kingston

I'm driving my car up there soon and I'm trying to plan the route I'll take. I know the M3 is so low it scrapes on almost anything so I was wondering if it could potentially scrape on the Ferry.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
I know this may sound stupid but I was wondering if any WA state guys have experience taking their M3s on the ferry here: Edmonds - Kingston/WA-104 ferry to Kingston

I'm driving my car up there soon and I'm trying to plan the route I'll take. I know the M3 is so low it scrapes on almost anything so I was wondering if it could potentially scrape on the Ferry.
I've done this ferry multiple times to get to the Olympic National Forest. The M3 will be fine. This particular ferry is really nice. You won't be scraping, unless your car is totally slammed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Awesome. I have a 100% stock suspension on my 4-door. I just was afraid of steep ramps or maybe large bumps or stuff like that. I'm just unfamiliar with the Ferry system.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
zacbol
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Yeah, you should be fine. My girlfriend and I took the ferry to the Orcas island and it was totally fine. My only annoyance was the asshole ferry attendent saying 'It's only a car' in a really disdainful tone as I was trying to inch up slowly to the car in front of me and avoid tapping it.

I was tempted to respond "Yeah, but it's 414 horses, a manual, and a ding in the bumper would cost more than you make in a month." But then I'd be yet another BMW asshole. Still, it pissed me off since I was just trying to be careful not to tap the car in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Take mine on the ferry to Whidbey island all the time. Is fine.
      07-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
Yeah, you should be fine. My girlfriend and I took the ferry to the Orcas island and it was totally fine. My only annoyance was the asshole ferry attendent saying 'It's only a car' in a really disdainful tone as I was trying to inch up slowly to the car in front of me and avoid tapping it.

I was tempted to respond "Yeah, but it's 414 horses, a manual, and a ding in the bumper would cost more than you make in a month." But then I'd be yet another BMW asshole. Still, it pissed me off since I was just trying to be careful not to tap the car in front of me.
LOL. My wife didn't know about the "tilt sensor" button in her A4. You should have heard their sigh and tone on the PA when it went off mid-cruise. I've seen a couple cars get their bumpers dinged and punctured by tow balls, etc, with rocking, so I would hesitate to move those last few inches, too.
      07-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

I hustle down to the car as soon as they are approaching land as the people parked on either side could care less about door dings. They use your car for a door stop and then when they get in, there door leaves a scratch from their fat bodies sinking the suspension of their cars. If I'm there, they are much more careful about touching my car.

It will also be a tight squeeze getting in and out of the car with the big coupe doors. They do pack them in tightly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I hustle down to the car as soon as they are approaching land as the people parked on either side could care less about door dings. They use your car for a door stop and then when they get in, there door leaves a scratch from their fat bodies sinking the suspension of their cars. If I'm there, they are much more careful about touching my car.

It will also be a tight squeeze getting in and out of the car with the big coupe doors. They do pack them in tightly.
I travel WA state ferries a lot. Shouldn't be a problem. There's normally enough space between cars, and never had issues with door ding-ers.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

ferry!
Appreciate 0