E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bit of a disappointed...maybe a Porsche/Z would've been better?

Closed Thread

07-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Bit of a disappointed...maybe a Porsche/Z would've been better?

I love my 335i.... hard top convertible, quick twin turbo engine, comfortable, you know...

but...

i drove through a windy road today that is near my home after I saw a 135 take off (I really wanted to compare the the 335i convt to a 135 coupe) and although the car did handle well at speeds of exceeding 100mph (I'm assuming the 135 went no more than 80-90 cause he was a good 400 feet ahead of me and floored it a second before i did), I did not have a 'safe' feeling... and even on one turn, i had to make sure I didn't lose control cause the car slid for a little....
i drove the 335 through my local canyon about 2 weeks ago and I just thought that I didnt drive well cause 1) I don't know the car nearly well enough to push it and 2) I hadn't been on that canyon in months and 3) I know of too many people who crash there (Stunt Road, in Calabasas/Malibu area)

But tonight... i was thinking... maybe it would have been better to have gone with a more sporty car... like a Porsche Boxster/Cayman S or a 370Z (or even 350z....). I have driven each of those cars on that exact same road and felt safe, no skidding, and at the same speeds....
Or maybe an e46 M3, cause when I drove my friends 05 ZCP, I was able to push it to 120 (although I did skid a bit on that same turn I skidded on today)

anyone else feel a little like I do? (not about getting a different car, but about the car not being as stable as you would prefer it to be in turns)
This is my first BMW to own, and for some reason... it I am not feeling the "Ultimate Driving Machine" thing right now :/

I mean, my top was down, 1) wind 2) rear heavier, throwing off weight distribution 3) RFTs 4) I'm still not that used to the car
So I guess I may be over reacting...

but all in all... even though I caught up and then kept my distance from the 135 (personal rule, always follow no closer than 4-6 cars unless you know the other drivers skill well and trust each other. at those speeds on these roads it's dangerous enough, so distance is key so just in case one crashes... he doesn't cause the other one to crash), I wasn't satisfied :/

o and this is pretty late at night, and no one on this road whatsoever, so the 135 and I were only endangering ourselves and the 135's blonde girlfriend (blonde hair really sticks out at night)

my gf would have never let me drive this fast when she's in the car lol

Last edited by persian54; 07-12-2009 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: typo etc (maybe more but I'm too sleepy to checked grammar etc
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I love my 335i.... hard top convertible, quick twin turbo engine, comfortable, you know...

but...

i drove through a windy road today that is near my home after I saw a 135 take off (I really wanted to compare the the 335i convt to a 135 coupe) and although the car did handle well at speeds of exceeding 100mph (I'm assuming the 135 went no more than 80-90 cause he was a good 400 feet ahead of me and floored it a second before i did), I did not have a 'safe' feeling... and even on one turn, i had to make sure I didn't lose control cause the car slid for a little....
i drove the 335 through my local canyon about 2 weeks ago and I just thought that I didnt drive well cause 1) I don't know the car nearly well enough to push it and 2) I hadn't been on that canyon in months and 3) I know of too many people who crash there (Stunt Road, in Calabasas/Malibu area)

But tonight... i was thinking... maybe it would have been better to have gone with a more sporty car... like a Porsche Boxster/Cayman S or a 370Z (or even 350z....). I have driven each of those cars on that exact same road and felt safe, no skidding, and at the same speeds....
Or maybe an e46 M3, cause when I drove my friends 05 ZCP, I was able to push it to 120 (although I did skid a bit on that same turn I skidded on today)

anyone else feel a little like I do? (not about getting a different car, but about the car not being as stable as you would prefer it to be in turns)
This is my first BMW to own, and for some reason... it I am not feeling the "Ultimate Driving Machine" thing right now :/

I mean, my top was down, 1) wind 2) rear heavier, throwing off weight distribution 3) RFTs 4) I'm still not that used to the car
So I guess I may be over reacting...

but all in all... even though I caught up and then kept my distance from the 135 (personal rule, always follow no closer than 4-6 cars unless you know the other drivers skill well and trust each other. at those speeds on these roads it's dangerous enough, so distance is key so just in case one crashes... he doesn't cause the other one to crash), I wasn't satisfied :/

o and this is pretty late at night, and no one on this road whatsoever, so the 135 and I were only endangering ourselves and the 135's blonde girlfriend (blonde hair really sticks out at night)

my gf would have never let me drive this fast when she's in the car lol

This is going to be a cracker of a Thread.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
RX7guy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7

The convertible 335i is heavy. The Boxster/Cayman is going to handle better. Its lighter and mid engined, but unfortuately still missing an LSD. You can get a viscous LSD in the sport pack on the 370z. Both are quite capable. There is validity to his argument.

The 370z is 350+ lbs ligher, and the Cayman S is almost 600 lbs lighter than the 335i coupe, and add another 400 or so pounds for his convertible.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
3three5
You can't hide stupidity with makeup.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Nissan 350Z Track

Honestly, if lateral stability and cornering speed are the only things you're looking for, then I think you're missing the boat on why people buy BMW's.

I currently own a Z (a 2003 track model)and it's more capable than I would ever care to push it on public streets. And while I love it, I just ordered a 335 because the Z isn't the total package the 335 is. To me, the 335 represents the perfect balance of performance and luxury. That, to me, is the definition of "The Ultimate Driving Machine". A car that performs in a myriad of different driving situations equally well.

If priority number one for you is being able to carve through a canyon at over 100MPH and beating <insert car brand/model here>, then I think there are better handling cars you could spend 70K on. And my personal opinion is that if you can afford to spend 70K on a car that can kick ass on a track...you should be able to afford to take it to said track.

I could totally preach right now...but I won't.

Whether you decide to keep the BMW or sell it for a Porsche, good luck and try to keep it safe.
      07-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Seems like a case of the grass is greener. Had you gotten a 370z, you'd be set on the twisties but then you would be wondering about a 335i on the regular streets. I've ridden my friend's 350z and then a 370z. Nice sports car, horrible daily drivers. The lack of a rear seat not to mention the stiff handling and uncomfortable general ride. To each their own though I guess since I place more emphasize on daily driving. I would never ever ride a 350z through LA traffic though lol. I think my arse would turn to mush after that.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3three5 View Post
the Z isn't the total package the 335 is. To me, the 335 represents the perfect balance of performance and luxury.

you could spend 70K on. And my personal opinion is that if you can afford to spend 70K on a car that can kick ass on a track...you should be able to afford to take it to said track.

I needed 4 seats and 'need' a convertible, which is why I didn't get a 370Z/G37/S5/Keep my Boxster.
It is a perfect balance of performance and luxury
But i dont know... I guess to me, since the only BMWs I have really driven have been my friends' cars (ZCP M3s, regular M3s, M5s (boats...), Z4M, 335i Coupes (thought never really pushed it) I guess I might have expected too much from a vert :P

70k??!?!?!

where did that come from... if i had 70k, I'd be in a 09 DCT AW M3 lol
The sticker on the car was about 62, I got it for 55+ tax/licensing/etc (so about 61,xxx)

that's about a 20% difference give or take

I would love to go to a track here and there, but I have never researched it enough (as in, where, when, how much, how, etc... all that)

My friend tracks his E55 with this team but that's just 1/4 miles.... (he gets low 10s though in his Dad's F430 and low 11s/high 10s in his E55 [note->neither is stock])
I'd love to go on a circuit or auto-x heh

but then, I know that a 135 coupe/any coupe will handle better than a convt. there's a big difference

I mean, all in all, i am not disappointed in the car; it's an amazing driving machine.
I guess I was just expecting a bit too much...

But nonetheless, it's a great car
Knowing my track pattern with cars though... if it lasts me 2 years, its a record. I'm already checking to see how the market for R35s are lol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokdo View Post
Seems like a case of the grass is greener. Had you gotten a 370z, you'd be set on the twisties but then you would be wondering about a 335i on the regular streets. I've ridden my friend's 350z and then a 370z. Nice sports car, horrible daily drivers. The lack of a rear seat not to mention the stiff handling and uncomfortable general ride. To each their own though I guess since I place more emphasize on daily driving. I would never ever ride a 350z through LA traffic though lol. I think my arse would turn to mush after that.
very very true

my 'problem' is that, no matter what it is, be it a game, a car, a test/class grade, a gf, a computer, phone, myself... whatever it is... I am just... never 100% satisfied :/
I have a habit of finding the bad in everything/people, especially myself and things I own/use.
Never figured out why I'm like this

lol sorry to turn a car tread question in a different way... just thinking 'out loud'
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Lol wow, your gf and yourself are very big things to be unsatisfied with lol. Maybe you should take a break from the world and go camping for like a month in the wilderness. You might have a new take on yourself and ultimately on everything around you when you learn to survive on your own. My uncle did this once back in the 80's and he told me it's helped him cope I guess a midlife crisis thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
3three5
You can't hide stupidity with makeup.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Nissan 350Z Track

Quote:
70k??!?!?!

where did that come from... if i had 70k, I'd be in a 09 DCT AW M3 lol
The sticker on the car was about 62, I got it for 55+ tax/licensing/etc (so about 61,xxx)

that's about a 20% difference give or take

I would love to go to a track here and there, but I have never researched it enough (as in, where, when, how much, how, etc... all that)

My friend tracks his E55 with this team but that's just 1/4 miles.... (he gets low 10s though in his Dad's F430 and low 11s/high 10s in his E55 [note->neither is stock])
I'd love to go on a circuit or auto-x heh

but then, I know that a 135 coupe/any coupe will handle better than a convt. there's a big difference

I mean, all in all, i am not disappointed in the car; it's an amazing driving machine.
I guess I was just expecting a bit too much...

But nonetheless, it's a great car
Knowing my track pattern with cars though... if it lasts me 2 years, its a record. I'm already checking to see how the market for R35s are lol
Yeah, I guess I overestimated on the price of the vert! Haha.
Well in terms of getting your current car to handle better, I am sure sticker/non-RFT tires will help your cornering stability. Also, I would look into a set of sway bars. Those two things will definitely help the cornering dynamics of your car. No matter what though, you'll be at a disadvantage compared to comparably equipped non-vert cars. I'm still learning about modding BMWs so I am pretty limited in terms of suggestions. Not that you're looking for any

And as far as the R35's...seems like if you do anything OTHER than drive them the speed limit, you void your warranty. For 80K, I should be able to flog the sh*t out of it...

Well again, good luck with your car. I hope a few tweaks to your suspension will get you what you're looking for!
      07-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
SouthCali335
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92/E46

you have any mods on the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali335 View Post
you have any mods on the car?
as of yet, no

PROcede and STETT CAI are sitting in my room in their boxes

a sway bar...yeah I was thinking about one (anyone know of a good one??)

I was considering a FMIC but it's too much $$ for what it is IMO

rims are what I am looking at next... then.. MAYBE DPs (Warranty issues...) and exhaust...
but I'd rather do something cosmetic than DP since I can take out a PROcede and clear codes but removing the DPs will be a bother

regarding GT-R Warranty, it's not that hard to void, but not that easy either lol. and 80k for a car of that caliber is nothing.... when i drove that beast in Japan, it was love at first flight? feel? iono cant think of a suitable word right now lol

regarding myself and the gf part, I always feel I can be better.... i feel that when i was 17, i made much more money and spent my time more wisely than i do now that I'm 21 holding a college degree that even with honors and all that crap really is nothing more than a piece of paper (that i have yet to receive since the school doesn't send them out until 2-3 months after graduation)
and with my gf, although i love her, like i said, I am one who always sees the bad in everything/everyone... definitely not a good thing
camping...that'd be...interesting... if i had a portable bathroom and shower I could do it lolol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

btw 3three5 congrats on the order! heh
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3three5 View Post
If priority number one for you is being able to carve through a canyon at over 100MPH and beating <insert car brand/model here>, then I think there are better handling cars you could spend 70K on. And my personal opinion is that if you can afford to spend 70K on a car that can kick ass on a track...you should be able to afford to take it to said track.
This is why I stay out of the canyons in the summertime. I don't want my family to have a pay for a casket thanks to somebody trying to figure out if their car handles well or not......
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #14
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
This is why I stay out of the canyons in the summertime. I don't want my family to have a pay for a casket thanks to somebody trying to figure out if their car handles well or not......
I agree with you but nonetheless, there are more accidents on regular streets than canyons... but then again, much much much more cars drive on regular streets than canyons

I've driven up stunt road at least 2000 times in my lifetime, with various different cars.... so i guess that's why i use that road to compare cars... though i have never pushed it to the limit since i know of too many people who have crashed there
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

stickypaws quick question: how do you like the e63 versus the e55?

i dont know why but i prefer the e55's s/c
but maybe i need to drive the 63 more.
amazing sound though, that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Yup.

I have a family, and after spending time on E90Post, I've become a lot more wary about other BMW owners. The kinds of things these kids post about now days is downright shocking. In the past week alone:

- Kid trying to get his limiter increased to 155MPH because he can't beat his friend in "door to door" races
- Guy hitting 140 on a local highway "walking" a C63
- This guy going 100MPH on a public road (twisty canyon road too) in his Convertible 335i at NIGHT no less.

Ridiculous.

p.s - This thread should be closed.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #17
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:

but...

Take it to the track, man. Seriously.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
- This guy going 100MPH in his Convertible 335i at NIGHT no less.
at night yes, but this is a road that i drive on several times a day, every day, for many years. also, it is kindly lit up.
the 135 had his high beams on too boot.

thus, it being night is not a big deal.
in fact, I'd say that it's better night since I rarely see anyone on this road between the hours of 9am and 5:30am

I have nothing against closing this tread
i got my 'thinking out loud' settled lol

Last edited by persian54; 07-12-2009 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: typo.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #19
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
at night yes, but this is a road that i drive on several times a day, every day, for many years. also, it is kindly lit up.
the 135 had his high beams on too boot.

thus, it being night is not a big deal.
in fact, I'd say that it's better night since I rarely see anyone on this road between the hours of 9am and 5:30am

I have nothing against closing this tread
i got my 'thinking out loud' settled lol
Seriously, how old are you?

If you rammed your E93 into a family and took them all out, how would you feel? I think we should start a thread asking that question because often it's people who think "it can't happen because I'm a good driver and I know the road" who usually end up doing what I've just described.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #20
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take it to the track, man. Seriously.
As i said, I'd love to

and by a 'little' i really mean 'a little'

maybe a few inches? i was in the lane completely and they're normal lanes, not too narrow, not too wide

and track or not, if god forbid i crash, then I crash... nothing there but...well. nothing really... light posts to keep it lit and...dirt... if i crash there, it's just me. if i crashed on a track, it'd be just me (or depending on where...maybe people on the sidelines/other cars??)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, how old are you?

If you rammed your E93 into a family and took them all out, how would you feel? I think we should start a thread asking that question because often it's people who think "it can't happen because I'm a good driver and I know the road" who usually end up doing what I've just described.
I don't drive fast when there's traffic around...

okay I lied,
i got 50-55 in a 45 zone
or 40-45 in a 35 zone
or 75-80 on the 65 zone freeway...

how does driving late at night, on a road with no one except me and the 135 who was a good 4-6 cars ahead of me, have anything to do with a family?

since it is at night, you can clearly see the end of the road (instead of normal yellowish lights it's bright white lights) and if any cars coming, you'd see them too.

i think you are misunderstanding this situation...

it's not like i was traffic surfing or driving reckless in a place where I'd endanger anyone except myself (i dont drive fast with someone in the car anyways... i couldn't have that on my conscious)

and my age?

i said it already...

i guess the reason you misunderstand the situation is because you havent read most of what i said....

I'm 21, been driving for 12 years (in Iran, there is no actual driving age)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #22
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

"it can't happen because I'm a good driver and I know the road"

I hear that a lot.

and when I was in high school, until I saw my friend die in front of me, I used to say that too....
which is why I only push the pedal when I'm 1) alone in the car and 2) those around me themselves are pushing the car while keeping our distance.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread