E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fuel Leak post HPFP replacement

07-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Fuel Leak post HPFP replacement

I picked up my 335i from the dealer this week; my HPFP failed and the repair was done in one day. I live about 50 miles from my dealership. Drove another car down, swapped out, and decided to fill the 335i even though I had a half-tank of gas. Very fortunate decision, it turns out. As I was filling the tank, I notice a large quantity of gas leaking from underneath the right rear, maybe a half gallon had spilled in the 2 minutes I was filling the tank.

The car was cold, luckily. I had an engine fire in another car back in 1999, don't care to go through that again.

Debated calling Assist to have the car towed back to the dealer, but they were literally just up the street, it was 8pm and everybody was closed, so drove it back (slowly) and parked it back in the lot, left the key in the center console, noticed it was still dripping gas, but not as much as at the filling station, and drove my other car back to my house.

Called the dealer the next morning, told them the problem, and got a call later in the day that a "fitting was loose from the fuel pump install". They apologized profusely, and I asked if as an additional check, they'd refill the fuel tank to ensure no leaks. They did (and offered to pay), and indeed, the leak was fixed.

Just wanted to document my experience, in the (hopefully unlikely) event someone else gets this symptom.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
MotoMojo
Professional Lounger
United_States
Rep
Drives: A piece

Good job getting a free tank of gas out of it, haha.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix.
Appreciate 0