E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Low coolant, car immediately dies, wtf?

07-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Robinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Low coolant, car immediately dies, wtf?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driving to work today and just like the title says, the low coolant light comes on and the car starts sputtering, and stalls out. Start it back up, rough idle, get it back to my garage and stalls out again. Call BMW, my SA tells me to call roadside asst. and tow it in. Figured i try adding some coolant and see if that changes anything, let the engine cool for a bit then added the coolant and start it back up, car is fine. Drove it to work 30 miles in 100 degree plus weather, not a single issue.

My question is: Is that normal for the light to come on and the car immediately die? I figured it would of given me a little more notice before dying on me. Anybody got any ideas as to what's going on or have an experience like this? My car does have 28,000 miles already and it was over triple digits today. Needless to say i'm taking her in on monday to see if there is a bigger problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I heard of this before... gimme a sec...

Edit: BAMM!!! That's right, I actually helped someone. Time and date this event!
Appreciate 0