E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Not to beat a dead HPFP to death, but question about dealing with BMW...

07-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not to beat a dead HPFP to death, but question about dealing with BMW...

What are the odds of getting BMW to replace a pump that failed after I pull it out of the car and replace it on my own (from Tischer)

I have the receipt showing i bought one... I have the old pump, matching the part number or whatever that THEY installed after the first one died (we are talking about number two here)

I take a lot of road trips... i love the car... but don't want to be stuck... as stupid as it is... i'd be sorta ok with living with the possibility of the 3rd one dying if i had a 4th sitting in the trunk.. just in case...

I replaced it on my own last time, because i truly didn't have time to deal with the dealer....

Bottom line is their part with an extended warranty failed... shouldn't I be able to have them replace the part... even if it wasn't serviced at the dealer ???

Any suggestions on how to approach this with them ? The dealer or BMWNA or ????
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
What are the odds of getting BMW to replace a pump that failed after I pull it out of the car and replace it on my own (from Tischer)

I have the receipt showing i bought one... I have the old pump, matching the part number or whatever that THEY installed after the first one died (we are talking about number two here)

I take a lot of road trips... i love the car... but don't want to be stuck... as stupid as it is... i'd be sorta ok with living with the possibility of the 3rd one dying if i had a 4th sitting in the trunk.. just in case...

I replaced it on my own last time, because i truly didn't have time to deal with the dealer....

Bottom line is their part with an extended warranty failed... shouldn't I be able to have them replace the part... even if it wasn't serviced at the dealer ???

Any suggestions on how to approach this with them ? The dealer or BMWNA or ????
They're gonna tell you to shove it. They can't account for the installation, so they don't know if it was done correctly. Based on these grounds, they will not replace the part.

Not saying that's right, but that's the approach they will take.
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
They're gonna tell you to shove it. They can't account for the installation, so they don't know if it was done correctly. Based on these grounds, they will not replace the part.

Not saying that's right, but that's the approach they will take.
The one THEY installed is the failed one... .. so i paid $400ish for one... out of the need for convenience... ... I'd just like to have them replace the failed one that they installed... (and i pulled out) .. so i can have a spare without spending another 400

i realize i can put the broken one back in... .. but i'd probably still have to pull off DPs and IC and stuff for them to not complain... and that's not worth the effort.... really makes me not want to deal with them on my next car... .as we all agree.. should be a recall...

i'm tempted to start with BMWNA.... at least they wont say "what HPFP problem ???" like the dealer might...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

BMW Parts Warranty

any part you purchase from the dealer has a parts warranty of 2yrs unlimited miles

since you have the receipt, youre good to go -- at any dealer nationwide

but heres the "clincher" -- for the dealer to warranty a part "they" have deem it *failed* -- so say you install the part and it gives up the ghost..
you just cant take it out of the car and plop on the parts guys desk and say "hey, this thing is bad!!" they will tell you to reinstall the part, bring in the car and let the tech diagnosis the problem and if its indeed failed there is (usually) no charge to you.. except if they wanna be all picky and say that initial diagnosis is not covered and you should pay that ... i wouldnt -- from what i understand, BMW will pay the diagnosis (if the purchase part is failed) and the replacement labor.

but if not, or there are other problems with the car -- it can (and will) get ugly
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

2 year part warranty .. didn't know that...

in this case.. i just have the paperwork from when they installed it about 1.5 years ago.. (and it should be covered for 100k miles/5 years or whatever with the extended thing anyway.. whatever the terms on that were..)

i know what you mean about the failed part though... i might try another path.. get my salesman to maybe grease the wheels for me if he wants to sell me another car....

i'm hoping i can get away with NOT reinstalling it given it's a known problem... AND it makes the car undriveable... (if that's a word) ... thanks for the thoughts... ideas... bouncing stuff around.... i'll keep you all posted on what happens.... might be a couple days till i get to it though...

EDIT:
I called BMWNA - very polite, they said start with the dealer, but they basically can't do anything anyway if the dealer says no.... I was very polite but made it no secret how unhappy i was, and how unreliable the car was, that it should be recalled, and that the way it's being handled, AND STILL SOLD, makes me not want to buy another BMW ever....

Called local dealer to ask for a Service Manager... got voicemail... left message with details... waiting for call back...

Last edited by inthemiddle; 07-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: addtional info...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
add1cted2
ONE Lap, One Stroke, ONE Stride closer...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Alpine White-Sport

This is a very sensitve subject for me as I love my 08 335i but it's always in the shop, after the pump failed for the fourth time, I called BMW-NA and said that I was persuing compensation based on the Song-Beverly Warranty Act (Lemon Law) and a month later I'm driving a new 09 335I LCI.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Theres probably an "oh shit" button for the receptionist to forward you too when you mention the Song-Beverly Warranty Act.
Appreciate 0