E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car losing Memory settings

07-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Alpine White

Car losing Memory settings

Has anyone here seen or heard of strange issues with these cars just losing memory settings?

I've got an 09 335 x-drive and this car literally up and loses all of its memory settings all of the time. I can't begin to tell you how many times, I've come out to my car and all of the windows are open, the sunroof is wide open, the seat position and mirror positions are totally different. I start the car to find that the Air conditioner is blowing at full bore (and i never use the AC), all of the tone settings on the stereo are reset to 0... the list goes on and on.

It would be one thing if this happened once or twice, but it happens all of the time.

To make things better, my dealer had my car for a week and I was given a loaner 335d. Believe it or not, this car did the same exact thing. The wife and I were in our backyard doing yard work and i had the keys inside hanging up on hook. When I went around to the garage to grab some tools, i noticed that all of the windows and sunroof was open on this car too. After starting the car later in the afternoon, I noticed that this car too had a complete memory loss.

My dealer has a ticket open with BMW and we are in constant contact, but they can't seem to figure out what is causing this. Does anyone have the same problem or have any information on what could be causing this or how to fix this?

Thanks
Kev
      07-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Seriously..no one else here has problems with the memory settings in their car?

This morning I rolled into the gas station, with my windows up and the sunroof fully open. I shut off the car and grabbed my fob, placing my finger inside of the ring, so that I wasn't touching any buttons then i jumped out and closed my door.

As I had the gas pump in my tank filling up, out of no where both of my two front windows roll down about 3 inches, my mirrors started adjusting themselves and the drivers seat moved to a completely new position...boy this is frustrating. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thx
Kev
      07-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Do you live under large power transmission lines?

But seriously, I don't think this is a common occurence. So both fobs that you have lose memory? *And* the loaner did the same? Could be coincidental, but either way that's pretty weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Could there be a problem with battery ? Sorry i'm no expert but could be a battery problem being on and off cannot hold a charge making everything else reset?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't live near any power lines and this has happened at many random locations. It's totally wierd.

The dealer replaced the batteries in the fobs and load tested the car battery and didn't find any problems there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
So both fobs that you have lose memory? *And* the loaner did the same?
Yep, you are 100% correct. The dealer and I are at a total loss on how to fix this and BMWNA doesn't seem to have any ideas either...total bummer
      07-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow.

You said you hang the keys on a hook, right? Could it be possible that there are electrical wires behind where the hook is mounted that is causing electromagnetic interference and degrading the RFID transmission in the fobs? Perhaps you could avoid the hook or that general area and see what happens as an experiment...

Man, that's tough. What a weird problem - and man that would be a major pain to reset everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I only had the loaner car keys on the hook for that day. I haven't per-say tested for wires in the wall, but this problems happens all of the time and at very random places. this morning it happened while at the gas station filling up. So I'm pretty sure where I place my keys when at home isn't the issue.
      07-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

The memory for my seats blanked out the other day. Only reason I can think is that dealer reset car a month ago.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0