E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RR Downpipes

07-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
tsouzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 530i

RR Downpipes

Anyone notice considerable change in cabin noise and vibrations after downpipe install. Have stock exhaust, car feels likee its running rough but it's not. Thanks in advance.

-Angelo-
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Did you just install the downpipes? Are you implying the down pipes give you a rough running engine sensation?

I am stock and was thinking about having Sniz install some on my ride, but had a scare a few weeks ago that cost me some $$$ so I was just a tad nervous about touching the car anymore. I am not real superstatious but have had some adventures with the car and thinking maybe I should just leave good enough alone rather than risk any new drama with it.
      07-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
tsouzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 530i

Dont get me worng for performance to money ratio this is by far the best mod I have done to my car to date, but I have notcied an increase in cabin noise and slight tremor like vibrations,., kinda like a drone when the car is in idle,., could it be the gaskets not on good??? other than that really happy.,. car is idling great just feels and sounds diffrent,.,.,.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Lazlo6
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i M

I dont have downpipes but im sure that they would change your exhaust note, just makes sense.
      07-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The downpipes are going to make the car sound louder so that should be expected. I do recommend replacing the factory exhaust to maximize the power gains from the downpipes. Have you allowed the software to adjust to the increased air flow?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The downpipes are going to make the car sound louder so that should be expected. I do recommend replacing the factory exhaust to maximize the power gains from the downpipes. Have you allowed the software to adjust to the increased air flow?
Downpipe should not add vibration. They are hitting/rubbing somewhere.
      07-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
I am assuming catless DP?

I Agree with AR: The sound will be louder but there should be no vibration.

And I agree with Nick: There will be a "tremor" sensation running through the exhaust due to the increased airflow but it subsides after a few miles or you will get use to it.

Cabin noise? I would not describe it as noise or drone...a deep, throaty, raw, nice rumbling sound - yes!

When cruising the car should sound stock. When you accellerate a deep growl changing into a howl will be evident in cabin...

On my previous 335 I kept the rear mufflers stock but everything else was catless and freeflow. On my current 335 i started at the back with the BMW performance exhaust working forward. Performance WILL increase if you change the stock mufflers and run it with the DPs (whether catless or catted).
      07-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
Downpipe should not add vibration. They are hitting/rubbing somewhere.
Never said anything about vibration They make the car louder but if there is vibration, they are definitely hitting something.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsouzee View Post
Anyone notice considerable change in cabin noise and vibrationsafter downpipe install. Have stock exhaust, car feels likee its running rough but it's not. Thanks in advance.

-Angelo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
His original post did. Apologies if I mis-interpreted what you meant.