E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need BMW Professional Mechanic - Dealer Story

07-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
tpryor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C Alpine White

Need BMW Professional Mechanic - Dealer Story

My wife took her E92 in for the dreaded HPFP (long cranking) - which they say BMW will not let them replace without a code.....(sorry - I digress).

In the process, she had noticed that everytime we fill the washer fluid bottle, some runs out onto the ground from beneath the car. She mentioned this as well and was told - wait for it - that BMW puts a relief valve in the washer fluid bottle to prevent it being filled to capacity!

Really?

A. Why would anyone care if the washer bottle is full?
B. Why wouldn't it mention this in the owners manual?
C. What possible harm could it do to be full?
D. How do you know when to stop filling it?

Is there a professional technician who could set me straight on this one?

I know its a silly question - I searched - I looked for the bottle on realoem parts site (couldn't find it) - and now I'll just ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.
      07-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I found a little illustration of this system. Cant see a Relief Valve listed in the content.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Attached Images

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

The headlight washer systems are notorious for leaking. And a couple long cranks doesnt instantaneously and necessarily mean death of the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had a headlight washer leak the day I brought my car home from dealer, and I have never heard about a relief valve, but check into my issues I have had and I can HONESTLY tell you a LOT of bimmer dealerships do NOT care about you once you buy or lease the vehicle.

I went to 3 dealers in my area and stuck with my dealership in which I bought the car, but in the 1st 40 days the car was in the shop more than half that time, and I had 3 different loaners.

And they always say its either, in spec, or normal wear and tear, or the best one = No trouble found at this time
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
tpryor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
The headlight washer systems are notorious for leaking. And a couple long cranks doesnt instantaneously and necessarily mean death of the HPFP.

True - if it were a couple - but 10-15 second cranking every morning when it used to start instantly probably does. If it sits for a couple of days it doesn't seem like it will ever crank.

It's even done it for the dealer, and he agrees that is the issue, but says BMW will not allow him to replace it without a code.

And - just so I am clear - I don't have headlight washers. This is the bottle for the windshield washer (maybe the same thing). I don't want to mislead anyone.
      07-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
piezo
unstratified
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

I don't know about a relief valve, that sounds like typical SA

The first time I parked on my inclined driveway, when the tank was still quite full (as I had yet to test the washers), I noticed it leaking out the rear end of the rocker panel. The dealer assured me that it was normal, and since the rockers are plastic anyway I decided to let it go.

The reason you don't want it completely full is if you're in an area prone to freezing temps and it's been topped off with enough plain water to dilute the antifreeze past the point of effectiveness.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
tpryor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I found a little illustration of this system. Cant see a Relief Valve listed in the content.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Excellent, thank you.

I will take him the drawing and ask him to point out the relief valve. Should be entertaining.
      07-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
tpryor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezo View Post
The reason you don't want it completely full is if you're in an area prone to freezing temps and it's been topped off with enough plain water to dilute the antifreeze past the point of effectiveness.
Completely agree. I live in Houston, TX and it hardly ever gets to freezing - and if it does it's only for a few minutes.

I only use the premixed Rain-X fluid, never plain water - and I am not about to let the dealer top it off.

Thanks for the help.
      07-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Have the SA show you this "relief valve" for reference. What a joke! Go to another BMW Center for warranty work..