E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange problem with indicators - No "ticking" sound!

06-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
malmark
Registered
Malta
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport 2006

Strange problem with indicators - No "ticking" sound!

First post after much reading. Maybe someone can help.

I've no audible feedback when I use the indicators. I took it in to my local dealer and they ran the car through the diagnostics test but this didn't turn up anything. They think it is probably a faulty instrument cluster. I would love to know if anyone has experienced anything similar. I've looked in the TIS and Wiring Diagrams to try and see if I can sort it out myself (always worth a try)... I've trawled the 'net but have not turned up a single reference case. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Interesting... my understanding is the "tick tock" comes through the audio system's speakers, and not a relay. You might try rebooting the stereo with the old 3-finger salute and seeing if that fixes it. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

wait i saw a cluster open and seemed to be a separate speaker attached to it...it was the mod where you change the cluster lights to white leds
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
malmark
Registered
Malta
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport 2006

Sounds Rude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesRider View Post
Interesting... my understanding is the "tick tock" comes through the audio system's speakers, and not a relay. You might try rebooting the stereo with the old 3-finger salute and seeing if that fixes it. Just a thought.
As opposed to giving it the Bird, or two fingers! (in frustration... done that already)

I've not got the iDrive... so how do I do a reset? Which three buttons do I need to press, and what is the effect of doing this?

As to the instrument cluster itself, I did remove it over the weekend, but stopped short of disconnecting it as this will probably give me more problems!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmark View Post
As opposed to giving it the Bird, or two fingers! (in frustration... done that already)

I've not got the iDrive... so how do I do a reset? Which three buttons do I need to press, and what is the effect of doing this?

As to the instrument cluster itself, I did remove it over the weekend, but stopped short of disconnecting it as this will probably give me more problems!
I don't know about rebooting the non-idrive, as it doesn't have the CCC system. Romiie's post is probably closer to the truth. I did see on the back of the cluster what looks like a speaker, and the ticking does seem to emanate moreso from the cluster area and not the car's speakers. Sorry I can't help more. Still under warranty? It probably needs a new instrument cluster
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
+1 sound for the blinkers comes through the stereo.

Because of this, it'd be possible for BMW to program it so it is quiet when you're on the Bluetooth phone. Whenever I'm on the phone and have to turn on the blinker, I think of how that would be a nice feature. Unfortunately, that's not how it works.