BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

Mporium BMW

06-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
midwesterner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just Moved to Chicago....

Hi everyone,

Just moved to Chicago and been lurking for a while. I plan on buying a M3 in the next few months and the info on the forum has been great.

My daily driver is an X5 which has been great. A few quick questions for those who have replaced their wheels. Do you swap out your wheels each winter and summer on your own? I was thinking of investing in a floor jack to make this process easier and avoid having to haul my winter set in the trunk to the nearest tire shop. Any opinions on what floor jack to buy? Perhaps a forum vendor could enlighten me

Also, I searched the forum for recommendations on Chicago area BMW dealers for service. There are a lot of opinions out there. I live in the western suburbs........

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

i go to my tire guy about 15 minutes away from my office, he stores my winters for me and he stores my summers for me too. So i never have to put anything in the car. If you want to do your own swapping, then go for it. buy a decent jack that can lift a at least 4000 lbs and do it on your driveway/garage.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

When you are ready to pull the trigger on the purchase or at least negotiate a deal just let me know. I'll gladly meet up with you and take you to my guy over at Patrick BMW in Schaumburg. He has been good to our IND click as we have bought ~15 cars from him.

I also have an awesome service advisor at Patrick.

As for wheels, we do a lot of swaps for clients here. I can get you set up with a wheel/tire package.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

There are a lot of options for jacks but I have an aluminum jack from Harbor Freight (as about $125-150.) Works great and is really light. Changing out the wheels doesn't take much time at all. Just be sure to get a breaker bar for taking off the wheels and a good torque wrench to tighten the lugs. If you don't mind spending a little extra, I highly recommend using an impact wrench - makes the swaps go a lot faster (though don't tighten the lugs down with it, use the torque wrench.) Find one with at least 250 -300lbft rating, should be able to find for ~$200 - 250.
Appreciate 0