BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

BMW doesn't warranty micro air filters??

So I took my car to the dealer today for service and a complaint about the a/c smelling bad. I get a call from my SA telling me that the smell is due to a micro air filter and "unfortunately BMW doesn't warranty it". He said they don't warranty it because there could be many reasons why this happens, environmental conditions being one of them.

Com'on!! You're telling me that with 8700kms on the car that something like that can go wrong and BMW won't warranty it??

That is so dumb!! 200 bucks for a pair of filters. Way to go BMW!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

They changed them on my wifes 335 as part of the maintence service for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
dang that sucks...here in the US they do...
      06-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I would think that would be part of the "free maintenance" UNLESS you are complaining before the "scheduled change".

I also have a nasty smell coming from mine and was going to look into it.

Do they not change ours at the 1200 mile service? I thought they did. Not sure about this, but thought I saw that on my invoice previously. Not sure what the recommended schedule is though...

Edit: You are in Canada....that is prolly why!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I would think that would be part of the "free maintenance" UNLESS you are complaining before the "scheduled change".

I also have a nasty smell coming from mine and was going to look into it.

Do they not change ours at the 1200 mile service? I thought they did. Not sure about this, but thought I saw that on my invoice previously. Not sure what the recommended schedule is though...

Edit: You are in Canada....that is prolly why!
They should not be changed at the 1200mile service. That is an error in the way the CBS data links it to the oil change.

They will change it and pay for it if it's recommended, but, if you want it done before then, you have to change it.

All of the E9x cars only have one microfilter.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
All of the E9x cars only have one microfilter.
My E92 has 2 filters per side
i know cuz i opened that area a few times
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Your smell probably has NOTHING to do with the microfilters man. They're not changing those anymore at 1,200 miles, which makes perfect sense to me, but they replaced them on my car. My A/C smelled like crap before AND after replacing the filters (and yes, I verified they were replaced) when I turn the compressor OFF, but it's fine with it ON.
The bad smell probably has to do with mold starting to (or already) formed in the evaporator due to condensation, and that happens when you don't shut off the compressor (A/C button, not the system) a few blocks before your house. That's another reason I don't like to buy cars with any miles, as when they're used or test-driven, people always shut off the A/C along with the engine, starting this process. And that's exactly what happened to my M3.

As far as what to do, it's not that nasty in my car if I don't shut the compressor OFF, so I won't do anything about it other than what I described above before getting to a destination... and hope it slowly improves. There're treatments that you spray thru the vents when really bad (you'd have to do this on the M3 by removing the filters, which is fairly easy), but it smells like crap and would let your interior smelling horrible for a while. My car is not to that point yet, but if you can't stand it (or if you're getting allergies), you'd have to do it. Hope this helps. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Your smell probably has NOTHING to do with the microfilters man. They're not changing those anymore at 1,200 miles, which makes perfect sense to me, but they replaced them on my car. My A/C smelled like crap before AND after replacing the filters (and yes, I verified they were replaced) when I turn the compressor OFF, but it's fine with it ON.
The bad smell probably has to do with mold starting to (or already) formed in the evaporator due to condensation, and that happens when you don't shut off the compressor (A/C button, not the system) a few blocks before your house. That's another reason I don't like to buy cars with any miles, as when they're used or test-driven, people always shut off the A/C along with the engine, starting this process. And that's exactly what happened to my M3.

As far as what to do, it's not that nasty in my car if I don't shut the compressor OFF, so I won't do anything about it other than what I described above before getting to a destination... and hope it slowly improves. There're treatments that you spray thru the vents when really bad (you'd have to do this on the M3 by removing the filters, which is fairly easy), but it smells like crap and would let your interior smelling horrible for a while. My car is not to that point yet, but if you can't stand it (or if you're getting allergies), you'd have to do it. Hope this helps. Take care.

You are spot on. It is mold/bacteria that causes this and that is the reason it is not covered by BMW warranty. All of my BMWs have had this problem, and I really only notice it if I have the climate control on with the compressor off (which is rare). I usually keep the a/c on to help dehumidify the air and prevent fogging.

FWIW, I like the smell of BG frigi fresh: http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
      06-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

So if I understand correctly, I should shut my a/c off and keep the vent fans running a few blocks before reaching my destination?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
My E92 has 2 filters per side
i know cuz i opened that area a few times
ahh crap.. I hate it when I'm wrong.

The E9x non-M's have one.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
So if I understand correctly, I should shut my a/c off and keep the vent fans running a few blocks before reaching my destination?
You don't have to, but doing it prevents any foul odors. And it's just enough for the air to come out warm, maybe 1/2-minute or so. To be honest, in the heat of summer it's less of an issue than in spring or fall, when we use A/C but it's not that hot outside anymore, and any lingering condensation can stay long enough to cause problems. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You don't have to, but doing it prevents any foul odors. And it's just enough for the air to come out warm, maybe 1/2-minute or so. To be honest, in the heat of summer it's less of an issue than in spring or fall, when we use A/C but it's not that hot outside anymore, and any lingering condensation can stay long enough to cause problems. Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0