06-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
DCT owners - quick question!!

Just bought my new motor - another E92 M3 but this one is a 58 plate DCT. Anyway, just a couple of things bugging me slightly and wondered if anyone could shed some light without me having to go do stealers for info;
Firstly - does the car always roll back if you are on a hill in gear at say traffic lights?? For some reason i assumed it would hold, like a hill assist or something?? Is hill assist an option that i obviously havent got or do all DCTs roll back if you dont hold the foot brake or feather the throttle??
Secondly, in my last M3, when i pressed the M button on the steering wheel the car would kind of jump forward slightly and revs would flicker etc. But ive noticed that when i press the M button in my new car it makes no difference or impression that anything has happened??? Obviously the lights in the console near the gear shift change ie power button and edc light up to confirm the settings i have stored for the M button have changed BUT there is no physical change ie no rev change and car doesnt momentarily lurch forward slightly?? Again, just wondered if its different between manual and DCT or its something im not doing in the settings menu maybe???
Finally, do the shift lights only come on when you are in "manual" mode or do they always light up IF you have the setting ticked in the menu??
Any thoughts?? Steve.
      06-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Hi Steve -

The semi-DCT is quite different from a full auto box so the hill start is not as straight forward as you would find with a full auto (where you pretty much can't roll back)

The hill start works something like this: hold the brake quite firmly and when you're ready move to the throttle - the car will hold for 2 seconds before slipping - so get on the power sharpish! ... it takes a bit of getting used to I can't deny!

I noticed the urge forward when pressing the M button much more pre-2000 miles - not sure whether I've just grown accustomed to it or it's not so in your face now...? Depending on how you've got your M button prog'd controls the throttle reponse and available power... the throttle response is sharpened massively in D5 and will take you all the way to red line, whereas D1 restricts the rev range for tootling 'round in the snow!

You're right about shift lights only on in manual - you can programme them seperately to come be on in sequential M mode and/or sequential normal mode - but obviously not much point in them in the auto mode.

Anyway, how come the change?

Last edited by themetz; 06-20-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

Beacause he wanted a proper drivers car with a proper transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
Anyway, how come the change?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I genuinely could not get on with the manual box - far too notchy for my liking - but ive found all my old M3's exactly the same. I absolutely loved my CSL's box and to be fair the new DCT box is not a bad comparison. So far, im really enjoying the DCT and im really pleased i made the change - my wife is happy too!!
      06-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

What modes are you driving the DCT in? S or D? And have you noticed any of the much documented low-speed lag?
      06-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Pump the drivelogic up to programme 5 and the low speed "lag" all but disappears...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have mine set to S 5 - power to plus etc.
      06-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Steve - whats the spec of the new motor?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
FULLY LOADED!!! Only joking... little in joke for a certain person!! Its got every option fitted and ticked bar the rear blinds and TV - best thing for me over my last M3 is the NEW 2009 iDrive system - much better and improved than the old iDrive although STILL hasnt got 6 digit postcode search which is a f**king joke imo!! Mine also has keyless go which is pretty cool option and the main reason for the change was the DCT box, which i think is good but not quite as good as i was hoping - my M3 CSL spoiled me in relation to semi autos but the DCT is a good 2nd best and far better than the bloody horrible notchy manual box!!
      06-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Did the remap not make much difference with the throttle response like what it did with my manual?
      06-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Also found this out...DCT lag!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275142
      06-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
With regard my prior post where i commented that when i pressed the M button on my steering wheel and nothing seemed to happen..... well it was my fault - i had the "power" set to plus ALL the time ie. key setting and M button setting - hence why i sensed no surge etc. Anyway, ive since readjusted my settings, so all good there!!
I had my car remapped, Remus Race fitted and BMC filter yesterday up at Evolve. Car is now pushing out 440bhp and sounds like pure sex!!!! Very happy!!!
In terms of the lag issue - ive only just come across this topic and to be honest ive not noticed it on my car thus far. Have to say though, im not entirely sure what they mean by "lag" if im honest!!
      06-25-2009, 03:24 AM   #13
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

As you're driving in S-5 most of the time, you probably won't notice any lag.

The lag appears to be most noticeable in D modes. For example, I'll be pottering around town in the default D-2, and want to turn right across some on-coming traffic. I slow down as I approach the turning to perhaps 10mph, and see a gap in the on-coming traffic and push the accelerator, and.... nothing happens!!! The delay can be as much as a second (some people say as much as 2seconds!). So I push harder on the pedle, and lurch forward, throwing any passengers around in the back seat. It means that you have to think twice before making such turns at low speed in an M3 DCT when most other cars wouldn't think twice - it can make you look quite silly!

BMW say this is 'normal behaviour' and as yet have not admitted it's a problem that needs fixing.
      06-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
FULLY LOADED!!! Only joking... little in joke for a certain person!! Its got every option fitted and ticked bar the rear blinds and TV - best thing for me over my last M3 is the NEW 2009 iDrive system - much better and improved than the old iDrive although STILL hasnt got 6 digit postcode search which is a f**king joke imo!! Mine also has keyless go which is pretty cool option and the main reason for the change was the DCT box, which i think is good but not quite as good as i was hoping - my M3 CSL spoiled me in relation to semi autos but the DCT is a good 2nd best and far better than the bloody horrible notchy manual box!!
sounds great, same colours?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for explaining Dar - have to say now that i know what it means i have noticed this "lag" a few times in D mode and it is a pain and potentially dangerous. I drive mostly in S5 and M mode as i like the quick paddle shift, even if im just pottering around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
sounds great, same colours?
Yes matey - white with black leather and CF trim etc.
      06-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #16
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
how much did it go for? I'm hearing prices are on the up owing to limited availability.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #17
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Steve I know this is a little late but if you ever need info call this bmw customer service line on 0800325600
Appreciate 0