E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330i review: "Many BMW 330i owners will never know just how good their car is"

04-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

330i review: "Many BMW 330i owners will never know just how good their car is"

Another fine review of the 330. Words and Pictures by Nick Hall at pistonheads.com - 4/19/05

BMW 330I

Many BMW 330i owners will never know just how good their car is. Nick Hall explains.

It’s a sad fact of life that many BMW 330i owners will never realise just how good their car is. The true virtues of the middle managers’ outside lane pounder of choice will simply stay a secret, well hidden behind the traction control button and comfy leather seats.

That’s a shame because inside this icon of corporate greed, now in its fifth generation, there’s a top coupe just waiting to show a clean pair of heels to anything in its class and a good few besides.

After a jaunt that started in Seville, stopping off near Marbella, and then through Spain’s substantial mountain ranges, on to Madrid, Pamplona and up through France, I can safely say BMW has once again lifted the dynamic bar in the compact executive sector. If Audi and Mercedes were worried before, they could now be forgiven for weeping and rocking in a corner.

Performance

The engine is immense. It’s the same powerplant that featured in our 630i road test (see link below), so you may already know how impressive it is. It’s a groundbreaking unit with a number of tricks, including extensive use of magnesium, that combine to make this the lightest three-litre, six-cylinder production petrol engine in the world.

It not only provides 258 stampeding horses, it also pumps out 300lb-ft of torque, which is sportscar levels of propulsion in-gear. Press the throttle down hard, though, and the box will kick down and send the car flying down the road at an obscene rate.

This car is capable of monumental bursts of acceleration -- in normal road use you just won’t worry the last third of the throttle’s travel. I know the top end speed of 155mph is a lie after taking it off the 160mph clock on a late night run on a deserted Spanish toll-road and the 0-62mph of 6.6s, 6.3s for the manual, feels massively conservative from behind the wheel.

In the 3 Series, with perhaps a little less insulation than the 6, the engine is even more raucous when revved hard and this car never felt short of shove all the way to the redline. I drove the automatic version, but made full use of the SMG sequential change mechanism that gets better with each generation.

Transmission

The M5’s box, when we can get hold of it, will undoubtedly be the cream of the crop, but even the entry level model’s SMG is now so advanced it’s hard to imagine how a human foot could improve the process. It might still change up on you if you hold it on the redline, but for the most part this system has now evolved to provide manual control with auto convenience.

Generally I demand a manual box, enjoying the act of changing gear as much as the overall control, but even the most ardent manual fan should test this variant before dismissing it.

It has a few surprises in store, too. Plant your foot, even in manual mode, at 130mph, and it will change down two gears to fourth and scream off towards the 155mph limiter.

Ride and roadholding

The ride isn’t perfect, but it’s not meant to be. The BMW insignia doesn’t just suggest that you’re a golf club member, furnished your home almost exclusively at Ikea and are on your way up the corporate ladder, it also announces the arrival of the tautest, most driver-focussed machines in its class.

Mercedes' are more luxurious, Audis sensible and Jaguars come with special compartments for carpet slippers and Wurthers Originals. BMW prizes the driving experience above all else. It might be massive over-engineering considering most will only hurry between appointments, but then that commitment to the apex means that the 3 Series is sharp as a razor in everyday life, should never be caught out in normal conditions and belongs here.

In fact the only way to unstuck that finely honed rear is with gratuitous use of the right boot. It doesn’t react well to trail braking, which leaves it nervous and unbalanced, but get slowed down before the corner and the car will ride the edge with all four tyres gently squirming under the loads and drifting in unison.

Any saloon washes out into understeer if pushed beyond the limits, but it was barely detectable as we hurled the lithe 1,540Kg creation into bends. It floats through bends, refusing to step out, until you learn to push its limits and then it will take the exit with any level of oversteer you care to dial in.

Feeling the four-wheel-drift kicking in time after time, it became blatantly apparent that the 3 Series is so much better than most of its owners will ever realise it’s almost criminal.

That’s why all BMWs come with a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, which is a better basis than most sports cars provide, thanks to mixing up the materials in the chassis and suspension to finely balance the machine under the right pedal. Each wheel sits right in the corner, too, in a barely compromised design, and no overhangs is just common sense when it comes to handling prowess.

There’s also that four-piece rear axle that may contribute to the disconcerting high-speed floating over cut-up roads, together with the run flat tyres, but pushing at the limit it was mind-blowing.

Many so-called sports cars don’t provide the feedback, feel or instinctive driving thrills on offer in the new 3. The mere thought of the new M3 is enough to send drool cascading down my chin, but for now the 330i is as much car as you can get, and as much as you’ll need.

Look and feel

The pinched-in front and rear hide the fact that the new car is actually bigger in every dimension than the outgoing 3 Series. Its sporting prowess was a key part of the design and the low slung roofline contributes to the impression that it’s smaller than it really is, and the 3 Series undoubtedly leads the way in this class when it comes to dynamic good looks.

Internally, it’s a cut-price 5 Series environment, with slightly inferior plastics and lower grade leather, but still a stunning ****pit for this class. It’s a clutter-free, driver-focused place of work with a perfect driving position, all-round visibility and every control required available from the steering wheel.

Conclusions

Every time I’ve tested a new BMW recently I’ve spent days seriously analysing the bank balance to see if it could take the monthly payments. BMW has moved on to another level and, the entry-level 1-Series aside, it's currently so far ahead of the game it's not even funny.

Not everyone will appreciate just how good the BMW 330i is, but then they don’t have to. We will know this £28,455 legend is the king of its class, and the master of many besides.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
A61
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

jwocky, thought 330i torque is at 220 lb-ft?

quote:
"It not only provides 258 stampeding horses, it also pumps out 300lb-ft of torque, which is sportscar levels of propulsion in-gear. Press the throttle down hard, though, and the box will kick down and send the car flying down the road at an obscene rate."
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

That must be a misprint.. 330i has max 220lb-ft.
      04-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

The idiots even mistook the steptronic for a SMG. And misqouted the torque...

Useless....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

I was suprised that SMG already available as mentioned...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Entry Level SMG?!?!.....Really??
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #7
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

It isn´t. They drove a step. And called it SMG.

Which tells you just how informative that "test" is.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liut
That must be a misprint.. 330i has max 220lb-ft.
The 330 has 300NM=220lb-ft

The fools don´t even know how to get the units right

Last edited by Tierfreund; 04-24-2005 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
Reckamech
Master of Disaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sport

This article is full of mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
Intuition
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i AW

Gah, numbers mistakes aside I'm still drooling.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
34Three
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 6spd, e36, e30

Gotta love the comment about Jaguars and Werther's Candy

Let's hope "the Werther's" stay out of the left lane
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

The article may be full of mistakes, but the general thrust of the article is spot-on. This car is great to drive at the limit!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #13
martho05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive Coupe

Lame.....
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckamech
This article is full of mistakes.
Well.... at least 2, with SMG instead of M mode and 300ft/lb of torque instead of 300Nm as correctly stated above.

I didn't like the "corporate greed" reference to BMW either - whether it is right or wrong. We want the best quality car, we must pay for it.

With reference to M mode (his SMG), he was correct in stating that the gears will change down if need be. While I was driving up and down the mountain recently, I had the M mode selected for the trip (only way to go in that environment) and noticed it changed from M3 to M2 when slowing to turn from one street into another. It did it so quietly and smoothly, I never noticed it change down until I looked at the display, thinking that I should in fact change down. Very impressive!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #15
human
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda civic ex

Lame article, I agree. Sure, the article is flattering, but I also can't stand to have smoke blown up my a&&! What's up with all the exaggerated commentary, like "the engine is immense," or "this car is capable of monumental bursts of acceleration?" C'mon man, have you ever driven an M3, M5 (or faster car?). The article is overflowing with gratuitous HS language. Not to mention the factual mistakes that were mentioned in previous posts. I like the positive reinforcement, but unfortunately not a lot of credibility to the article.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #16
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
its a pity then that most people wount know what a good car they have
      09-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #17
Red
Chris Bangle For Prez
Rep
Drives: Ford (yea, I know)

Sure the article is somewhat "out there" but a lot of it is true. BMW has become a status car.
      09-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #18
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

Very hard to read especially after the many mistakes in the first few paragraphs. Doesn't lend itself much credibility when you have so much errrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #19
fatass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

The author doesn't give BMW a fair review. Sounds like it could have come directly from a BMW catalogue. Definetly a nice read if you want to hear about all the positives, and just to confirm that you made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #20
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Fanboy blather.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #21
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Not as bad as the review on www.msnautos.com
I want to kill that guy.
He gave it an 8 out of 10

He said it was a harsh ride, the seats were too firm, etc. (well then why is he driving the sport model?)
He didn't say it was harsher than other cars in it's class, it's like he's comparing it to a caddy sts or something.

He wrote an entire section companing about how the start/stop button is so unecessary because you have to use the key (i guess he didn't know about the comfort access option)

He then said that if you want rear-folding seats, you have to pay $1k for the cold weather option, when we all know this is offered as a separate option--i got it.

Then he says the 330i is only for racers and people who want to drive fast and live in areas where they won't get caught.

He then complains about how the brake pedal is touchy.

He concludes that idrive is confusing, and that bmw no longer has a stronghold in the market.

Pretty tough crowd.

If i read that article, and i was a naive person that believe everything these reviewers say because they're "experts", i wouldn't even consider buying the 3 series. It just looks so bad when you go to research the 3 series and they have user review: __ and then expert review: 8.

Sorry, that was really off topic. I meant for it just to be a few words and I got carried away

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #22
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

No you WANT bad reviews like that so people who don't know any better won't consider a 3 series. Less posers buying for the brand means better pricing for us in the know. And then maybe BMW'll get back to basics like the 2002 and the e30 ... wishful thinking.
Appreciate 0