E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carrera GT at my trackday !!

05-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Carrera GT at my trackday !!

After my miserable weekend at the ring, as i picked up a bug on the morning i got there, which caused me to stay in bed and not be able to eat a single thing
I had bought 15 laps, was going to do twice as much, but only managed 2 whilst sick, and 4 on the monday, when the track was open for 2 hours. Only had half hour left, as some stupid biker crashed, just as i was about to enter the track. :mad: Bloody hate the bikers there, walking around as though they got dildo up there ass, and they like it

So anyway, i was so pissed off the whole week, switching on everyone, even a tenant, i booked a track day on thursday, for the next day. The car was already ready on semi slicks R888 and new pads from the ring trip

So anyway, what a great day. Turned up nice and early. Dry all day as well. Then i saw a Carrera GT pull in!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it even more when i saw him getting noise tested, which meant il be seeing him on track

So here is pictures of the day, followed by videos taken on my sony ericsson 5 megapixel phone, attached with velcro onto the back of the rear view mirror

Sorry for the shit loads of pictures i took of the carrera gt. I just got bored at taking pictures of the other cars that were there lol. My brother took the pictures of the cars on track. Tried telling him to follow the car with the camera and not wait for the car to go past the point he was pointing at, as he was only getting half the car and the cars were coming out blurry lol He eventually got the hang of it, and was actually timing some of my lap times. Best i got for the day was 1 min 24 secs, whilst i was chasing the white gt3, which was bloody quick on the straight :mad: I want one!!!!
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some vids.

993? porsche, bloody quick car. Looks the nutts too

http://i270.photobucket.com/player.s...oldporsche.flv

Me against the RS4....what a piece of shit car. I seriously was just chilling behind him.

http://i270.photobucket.com/player.s...iS/m3vsrs4.flv

http://i270.photobucket.com/player.s...vsrs4part2.flv

Good driver GT3, also owns a 996 and 997 turbo. So quick on the straights. No problems on the corners though.

http://i270.photobucket.com/player.s...iS/m3vsgt3.flv

Chasing down gt3 rs. Not very good driver.

http://i270.photobucket.com/player.s...gdowngt3rs.flv

And finally the Carrera GT flying past me on the straight. Normally when i see an expensive car like a ferrari or especially an aston martin, they are such shite drivers on the track. But this guy was absolutely battering round. When i was behind him round the bends, i can hear his tyres screeching, and the back coming out.
http://i270.photobucket.com/player.s...carreraGt3.flv

I had a great day, and i finally got to test out my Toyo R888, which were on a different level than my road tyres like PS2's. You dont actually hear any tyre squeel, it just slides, but more it slides, the more it grips. Like when i came out of tight corners, usually i would half throttle, so the back didnt oversteer, but with the Toyos, i full throttled it, and it stuck to the ground like glue. I know I could of pushed the car more, after thinking about some of bends, and knowing i could of gone faster round them. A 1 min 19 secs is on the cards next time.
I think my next mod is going to be better seats. The standard seats do not hold me in place. Looking at some reclining Recaro's at the moment.
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ive already posted up a mini review of your track day mate!!!

Anyhow FANTASTIC post mate. I thoroughly enjoyed the end of the day with you.

Here is what i wrote in my thread

''Yes its true,

Me and my buddy Baris were back on track today at Snetterton.

Baris had the Toyo's on and the grip was fantastic, we passed so many porsches GT3 RS's too..

One GT3 in white was quick though. We even passed a F430.

One car that was steaming was a Carrera GT. Looked immense, came past us down the back straight like we were standing still.

He said he was doing 165mph, Baris modded M3 does late 130's.

But it was great fun and Baris got more track time then he did at the RING with us last weekend as the poor old mucka went ill

But was good joining you today buddy!!

Nice one.

TWO AMIGOS
[/I] ''
Attached Images

05-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Sounds like fun guys - give me a shout next time you guys arrange a track day
      05-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Nice to hear that the Carrera GT is being exercised as Porsche intended

997 GT3...what my stealth savings account is for (need plenty more). Hoping the even more awesome 3.8 2nd gen 997 which is out soon will depress prices over the winter as owners swap.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Glad you had a better time at Snett than at the Ring - you really were a miserable old sod and i felt sorry for Hiten and Duane making all that effort to come over just to be with you AND making them hire a car - you cheeky git!! Oh, and didnt we see you stuffing your face with burger and chips at the Ring?? Your appetite didnt look too bad that day!!! And you need to get rid of those awful wheel stripes OR make them ten times thinner - they are supposed to be "pin" stripes not cover half the wheel!! Oh and i hear what you are saying about the bikers at the Ring and it is annoying when most of the circuit closures seem to be due to bikes BUT it takes a lot of guts to ride a bike around the Ring (a lot scarier than in a car, trust me ive done it!!) at any speed and personally ive got a lot of respect for them. The leathers dont do much for your posture though i admit!! Are you coming on the Ring trip in August??
      05-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Glad you had a better time at Snett than at the Ring - you really were a miserable old sod and i felt sorry for Hiten and Duane making all that effort to come over just to be with you AND making them hire a car - you cheeky git!! Oh, and didnt we see you stuffing your face with burger and chips at the Ring?? Your appetite didnt look too bad that day!!! And you need to get rid of those awful wheel stripes OR make them ten times thinner - they are supposed to be "pin" stripes not cover half the wheel!! Oh and i hear what you are saying about the bikers at the Ring and it is annoying when most of the circuit closures seem to be due to bikes BUT it takes a lot of guts to ride a bike around the Ring (a lot scarier than in a car, trust me ive done it!!) at any speed and personally ive got a lot of respect for them. The leathers dont do much for your posture though i admit!! Are you coming on the Ring trip in August??

Steve, I really wish you would stop beating around the bush and just speak your mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just telling it exactly how it was/is.... no???
      05-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didnt ask them to come, they decided to come all by themselves lol. As if i was going to waste 5 hours picking them up on the first morning of my first time at the ring. Plus i had a ring taxi booked when they were landing. Dont know why Duane couldnt understand my reasoning, pissed me off a little. Hiten was cool about it hiring a car. Fact remains though, they should of drove their own cars
I ordered burger and chips at the ring, but i took only 1 bite from the burger and a few chips The night before i ordered a pizza, and i only had 1 bite. I just couldnt physically put food in my mouth, chew it and swallow it.
I was well vexxed when i got back on tuesday, and thats why i booked a track day
You're right about the bikers though, it does take balls, but man, why on earth you would want to risk your life, is beyond me. I even saw a biker fall off his bike in front of me, whilst i was going round the ring, and all i was thinking in my head was "Motherf*cker better get up, cos ive only got half hour left for my whole trip"

Carl, that picture is well cool, i didnt even realise you took lol
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Looks a good day.

Now out of all those pics one stands out more than any other.....

A WOODEN GEAR KNOB!!!???
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Looks a good day.

Now out of all those pics one stands out more than any other.....

A WOODEN GEAR KNOB!!!???
Check out the indicator stalk then!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #12
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
The wooden (Beech) gear knob on a Carrera GT harks back to the Le Mans winning Porsche 917's. It's a homage to the awesome-ness of the 917. What's more interesting about that pic is the non standard Ruf alcantara steering wheel. I guess it's just a bit more tactile on track than the standard Porsche wheel.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #13
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
I didnt ask them to come, they decided to come all by themselves lol. As if i was going to waste 5 hours picking them up on the first morning of my first time at the ring. Plus i had a ring taxi booked when they were landing. Dont know why Duane couldnt understand my reasoning, pissed me off a little. Hiten was cool about it hiring a car. Fact remains though, they should of drove their own cars
I ordered burger and chips at the ring, but i took only 1 bite from the burger and a few chips The night before i ordered a pizza, and i only had 1 bite. I just couldnt physically put food in my mouth, chew it and swallow it.
I was well vexxed when i got back on tuesday, and thats why i booked a track day
You're right about the bikers though, it does take balls, but man, why on earth you would want to risk your life, is beyond me. I even saw a biker fall off his bike in front of me, whilst i was going round the ring, and all i was thinking in my head was "Motherf*cker better get up, cos ive only got half hour left for my whole trip"

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaLiBaR View Post
You know im just teasing you, you big goon!!! BUT - you had at least 7 chips and 3 bites of that burger - lard boy!!!!
      05-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot to mention this old granny at the ring. im pretty sure i saw her last year in a V6 clio, with her husband driving a cayman (who refused to move out the way!!:mad: ) I didnt show any mercy on the track with her, but she was bloody awesome, taking the corners pretty quick, and always moved out the way for me, as soon as she saw me. Very aware!

Holding us up

Living the dream gran

P.S. I fucking love this car. i thought it was quicker than the GT3 on the straights, probably even round the whole track.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #16
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I think that lady is AWSOME - good on her - you'd be well chuffed if that was your gran!! I remember that lady last year in her Clio V6 - her husband in his Cayman was a pain in the ass - i think their son was there also with a white GT3??
Funnily enough ive been looking at those R26R's as a possible track car myself - still think another CSL might be a better bet though???
      05-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #17
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
I think that lady is AWSOME - good on her - you'd be well chuffed if that was your gran!! I remember that lady last year in her Clio V6 - her husband in his Cayman was a pain in the ass - i think their son was there also with a white GT3??
Funnily enough ive been looking at those R26R's as a possible track car myself - still think another CSL might be a better bet though???

That is defo the same woman!!! she was flying last year.

IIRC i made carl apologise the the 75yr old man in the cayman after he gave him some shit because he couldnt get past. LOL

I hope me and my mrs are doing that in our 70s MASSIVE respect.
      05-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Yeah that granny was not quick last year, she has improved tho.

I caught up with the grandad in Cayman S, and then the fucker would not get out the way, Poor Track day etiquette if you ask me...

I didnt see the granny at the ring baris? You really did huh?
      05-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #19
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
great pics!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
IIRC i made carl apologise the the 75yr old man in the cayman after he gave him some shit because he couldnt get past.
Yeh, i seem to remember you and i kept getting an ear bashing from the organisers telling us to try and keep Carlos in check!!!!