E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another HPFP Near Miss

05-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
katydid165
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Another HPFP Near Miss

I just found this forum out of necessity. This week, I was stopped in traffic and my beautiful 2008 March issue 335xi started shuddering. I pulled over, turned off the engine and then restarted. Living in Los Angeles, I thought we'd had an aftershock (it was a day after an earthquake here.) Everything seemed fine, and I accelerated onto the the speedway toward my home. Suddenly the "engine malfunction--reduced power light" came on, and my car just died--in traffic, cars careening around me, honking, coming within inches. The area where my car died is in one of the highest traffic regions of Los Angeles and where everyone is free of traffic lights for about 1/8mile, so they zoom. I used to zoom. It was terrifying. Thank goodness I was in the right hand lane. The doors and windows locked, and I felt like a sitting duck as I spoke with the SOS BMW Assist. I could see cars accelerating in my rear view mirror and then madly steering as they honked to swerve past me. I had my hazards on. Finally, after fifteen minutes of trying the start, the car started and I was able to pull off into a traffic-free area. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, and I'm just grateful to be able to be here to relay it. My car was towed to the dealership where they replaced the hpfp with the newest model from the April bulletin.

Truthfully, I'm scared to drive the car that I so carefully chose--ordering it from Germany with all the specs that I wanted. I feel sick. I love to drive and love driving this car more than any other I've ever had. How can I trust that this won't happen again. I never had any extended cranking times, no "service engine soon" lights. Just a wham/bam/you're about to die in LA traffic. For those who think that this situation isn't serious, I can only say that you have been fortunate with your model, the warnings that you have received, and where the power has gone out. I adore this car, but I'm afraid. How can I trust the car or BMW? The extended warranty is a legal CYA to replace the hpfp...but does someone need to die before this problem is addressed properly? I even filed a report with NHTSA. This isn't a broken AC or radio or door lock. This is an engine issue. Is BMW really investigating what's causing this mess?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Posted this 2 times now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Wow. Dude. Relax on the estrogen pills.

1) Did you forget to read about the car and HPFP issues prior to buying the car?
2) When your car dies, you get out and move to the side of the road, so you dont.
3) READ
4) READ
5) Stop whining, its been done and nothing will come of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
hawk910
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Hell no the man has a right to whine, this is bull i took my car in today for the fuel pump. 40-50 grand for bmw that breaks down more then a ford. i had a v6 shitstang before this car and i can clearly say that a v6 mustang was more reliable then this car. dont get me wrong this car is amazing "when its running". all thats going through my head is well this fuel pump just failed at low miles what about later on? once my warranty is no longer valid what then? im gonna pay for a fuel pump every 10k miles? im gonna be worried about going to long trips knowning that the fuel pump is gonna go bad? on a new bmw. i guess thats why so many people are selling this car. and why the buyers are catching on and not buying it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
katydid165
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Wow. Dude. Relax on the estrogen pills.

1) Did you forget to read about the car and HPFP issues prior to buying the car?
2) When your car dies, you get out and move to the side of the road, so you dont.
3) READ
4) READ
5) Stop whining, its been done and nothing will come of it.
First of all, I don't need estrogen pills...I produce more than enough of my own. Secondly, I'm not a gear-head. I thought I'd researched the car, but obviously, not well enough. I didn't even know there was a problem...I'd checked Consumer Reports, spoke with several BMW mechanics and would have had to have particularly searched under "335 hpfp engine malfunction" to have even found this. All I'm saying is that you may think that this is a "nothing" problem, but it is a true danger. I was merely adding my story to the rest that are out there. Blaming the consumer for a manufacturer's defect is unconscionable.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Octet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, E90

Geez Guys, BMW is offering an extended warranty at least, for I believe 10 years/100-120 thousand miles. BMW is working on improving the fuel pump, just got my second one and the car feels much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Lovely car, crap HPFP.

BMW has no excuse. Other manufacturers make fuel pumps that last over 100k miles with no issues.

BMW needs to replace the HPFP with one that is durable.

Period.

BTW, estrogen rocks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid165 View Post
I just found this forum out of necessity. This week, I was stopped in traffic and my beautiful 2008 March issue 335xi started shuddering. I pulled over, turned off the engine and then restarted. Living in Los Angeles, I thought we'd had an aftershock (it was a day after an earthquake here.) Everything seemed fine, and I accelerated onto the the speedway toward my home. Suddenly the "engine malfunction--reduced power light" came on, and my car just died--in traffic, cars careening around me, honking, coming within inches. The area where my car died is in one of the highest traffic regions of Los Angeles and where everyone is free of traffic lights for about 1/8mile, so they zoom. I used to zoom. It was terrifying. Thank goodness I was in the right hand lane. The doors and windows locked, and I felt like a sitting duck as I spoke with the SOS BMW Assist. I could see cars accelerating in my rear view mirror and then madly steering as they honked to swerve past me. I had my hazards on. Finally, after fifteen minutes of trying the start, the car started and I was able to pull off into a traffic-free area. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, and I'm just grateful to be able to be here to relay it. My car was towed to the dealership where they replaced the hpfp with the newest model from the April bulletin.

Truthfully, I'm scared to drive the car that I so carefully chose--ordering it from Germany with all the specs that I wanted. I feel sick. I love to drive and love driving this car more than any other I've ever had. How can I trust that this won't happen again. I never had any extended cranking times, no "service engine soon" lights. Just a wham/bam/you're about to die in LA traffic. For those who think that this situation isn't serious, I can only say that you have been fortunate with your model, the warnings that you have received, and where the power has gone out. I adore this car, but I'm afraid. How can I trust the car or BMW? The extended warranty is a legal CYA to replace the hpfp...but does someone need to die before this problem is addressed properly? I even filed a report with NHTSA. This isn't a broken AC or radio or door lock. This is an engine issue. Is BMW really investigating what's causing this mess?

You are right and you should be concern. Even the newest pumps are still failing.

My car died in left hand tune at light in a very large busy intersection. I was almost hit with several cars screeching to stop. Someone will be killed because of this issue at some point and BMW is 100% liable.

Do not let the gas tank go below 1/8 full.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid165 View Post
First of all, I don't need estrogen pills...I produce more than enough of my own. Secondly, I'm not a gear-head. I thought I'd researched the car, but obviously, not well enough. I didn't even know there was a problem...I'd checked Consumer Reports, spoke with several BMW mechanics and would have had to have particularly searched under "335 hpfp engine malfunction" to have even found this. All I'm saying is that you may think that this is a "nothing" problem, but it is a true danger. I was merely adding my story to the rest that are out there. Blaming the consumer for a manufacturer's defect is unconscionable.
What!?!?!?! Please tell me you're a chick. Otherwise your post is unconscionable!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
You are right and you should be concern. Even the newest pumps are still failing.

My car died in left hand tune at light in a very large busy intersection. I was almost hit with several cars screeching to stop. Someone will be killed because of this issue at some point and BMW is 100% liable.

Orb
Where did you get this info? If this is true it should be a sticky. I guess I always fill up when the car gets to 1/4 tank or so. Maybe that's why I've been lucky so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
katydid165
Rep

Morpheus, I am most definitely a chickadee, and thank you all for your help and advice. I won't let the fuel tank get low, and I'll only use the Shell brand of premium from reading other posts. Again, thank you so much for your responses. I truly do not want to get another car, but I'm thinking about it--taking a huge financial hit so I won't be constantly worried about a physical one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
katydid165
Rep

Quote:

Orb
This is utterly insane. We didn't buy or lease Yugos. I reported it to NHTSA so that if enough of us report it, they will put pressure on BMW. Thanks for the fuel advise. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
HPFPs go out on lots of cars, not just the 335. The fuel pump on VW's 2.0T would actually wear off the lobes that drive the fuel pump on the intake cam. There are fuel pump failures with the Mazda DI cars. DI in widespread use is fairly new. There are very high pressures and work loads associated with this. BMW is on the right track with the use of a diesel style injection pump. They WILL get it all solved, as they are shoving the N54 in every car in their line up. Enjoy your car and relax.
      05-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
They WILL get it all solved, as they are shoving the N54 in every car in their line up. Enjoy your car and relax.

When will they solve? It has been freeking two years now, and still not solved? I am sure it does not take that long. BMW is cutting corners like GM, offering fake leather, no standard harman/karden anymore. BMW surely pays motortrend for the review as well, no wonder it is in top 10 for a decade.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It is still unbelievable they won't issue a proper recall - it is definitely a safety issue and the NHTSA is dropping the ball on this and not forcing them to do it.

Even worse, my Toyota Highlander has a recall, just got the letter this week - the chrome tailpipe tip clamp wasn't heat treated correctly and can crack and fall off - full safety recall of all 08 and 09's! How is that more dangerous than your entire car just stopping in traffic?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Where did you get this info? If this is true it should be a sticky. I guess I always fill up when the car gets to 1/4 tank or so. Maybe that's why I've been lucky so far?
It will know low fuel around areas with hills will leave your car dead...good pump or bad. The ethanol make things worse but my gas at 94 oct has 0% ethanol.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 05-24-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
It will know low fuel around areas with hills will leave yoru car dead...good pump or bad. The ethanol make things worse but my gas at 94 oct has 0% ethanol.

Orb
That has nothing to do with it. Low fuel in cars that are substantially older than ours predisposes the IN tank low pressure pump to picking up sediment from the bottom of the tank and causing issues with it. However, that's somewhat of a wife's tale at best. In tank pumps have filter media "sock" attached directly to the pickup.
      05-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
What!?!?!?! Please tell me you're a chick. Otherwise your post is unconscionable!
Dude, take the misogyny elsewhere. Most of us love and respect women.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Low fuel in cars that are substantially older than ours predisposes the IN tank low pressure pump to picking up sediment from the bottom of the tank and causing issues with it. However, that's somewhat of a wife's tale at best. In tank pumps have filter media "sock" attached directly to the pickup.

What I mentioned is a well know observation in my area for well over a year. Most cars with fuel pump problem die with 1/4 tank of gas and can be restarted on flat ground when towed back to the dealer. These cars are sent back out in many cases but they do all return for pump replacement at some point. The issues are in the hundreds. It is a bit distributing they were telling the owners not run the car less than ½ tank at that time since the pumps were on back order. This is how a majority of fuel pump problem come into the dealer or they have long cranks.

The technical facts do support this given the data. We are dealing with two pumps in series and one with multiple stages and very high delta between the two pumps. NPSH can have a big influence given a change in device performance.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
gtmotor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335, 05 Lotus Elise

Jeez, that's a scary story.

I had a slight indication that my HPFP is going out the other day. I got the check engine light and the reduced power on the freeway going 85 mph... it was like someone applied the brakes and the person behind me wasn't very happy.

I knew it was a known issue so I just limped the car to my destination about 3 miles away before shutting it down. After it cooled off it started up just fine, the code was gone, and it drove normally...

I'm 100% confident that BMW is working hard for a technical solution to this problem. We just have to hope that their accountants don't rule out the engineers in the fixing process... it may be cheaper for them to pay out a few lawsuits versus correcting the problem on ALL N54s
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #21
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

They wont have a recall. I'm sure they are working about it. The problem is your talking about a part with longevity problems and are complaining that they cant figure it out overnight.

And sweetie, the BMW mechanics lied to you. They undoubtedly know about fuel pump problems, RFT problems, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #22
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
katy, most of us are in agreement with your thoughts on the HPFP issue.

oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum !
Appreciate 0