E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got and switched to JB3 v1.3!! Review....

05-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Got and switched to JB3 v1.3!! Review....

Got my 1.3 from Terry earlier in the week! Great service, as always and fast shipping! Great guy to work with and his
support/help is awesome, as always.

My car is a AT, pre 29.2 and I run on 93 octane daily, all else stock.

Had my HPFP replaced last week, i was rolling stock with no tune,
so i will base my review off a stock car.
Went and installed it, and didn't do any map switching, just left it on the default map, which is Map#3, high boost with LAGFIX, which my car doesn't really need but since its default why not try it. Left it on map#3
for the first day, so my car can adapt. Did about 2 WOT pulls in second gear and 1 in third.

Default Map#3
The torque compared to stock is amazing! Just so MUCH of it down low, it is intoxicating! Map#3 also has lagfix so the
car def. Felt more snappy and ready to go below 2500 rpm. My pre 29.2 car has very little lag, but lagfix pretty much
made it zero, and I mean it, you give wot down low and the thing starts moving on demand.
Also felt that while being in gear in midrange rpm's and giving throttle, the car is more on it toes and snappy/ or willing to
go with the lagfix maps compared to non lagfix, but that could just be in my head.

Midrange punch is damn nice!! Sinks you into your seat and keeps you there until just before redline. It comes on nicely
and pulls pretty damn good until redline. Only spent a day on this map so these are my intial feelings for it.
Would also like to add, nothing was lost while daily driving, car is really smooth without any hiccups, power is smooth
through the powerband aswell.

MAP#4
So the next day I decided my car has adapted to the lower map#3 and I shall go up from here.
I tryed Map#4, which is the hotter high boost performance map with more power/boost but WITHOUT lagfix. Map#5
would be same hotter map but with lagfix, but my car, like mentioned doesn't really need lagfix.

r: This is where it gets good.......
Anyways did a couple WOT in second and third aswell to adapt Map#4
OKAY, so this is where I was blown away,and I know you heard it all before but the midrange and top end is just amazing!
The rush of power through the midrange and top end is just shocking. It pulls so damn HARD I wasn't expecting it.
While trying it out I really had to hold my steering wheel with both hands!! I cannot say enough about
the top end and midrange, car feels like it really has a powerful tune in it now! Big difference. Car is just so
much fun and exciting to drive. Its damn fast, all I can really say.

Down low the tq rush is great! Just about the same as map3 if not more but without that little snappier feel there is
since there is no lagfix on map4, but I think I like the sudden slow rush of massive tq more (no lagfix), feels damn fun!
personal preference I guess.
Aswell here,Would also like to add, nothing was lost while daily driving, car is really smooth without any hiccups, power is smooth
through the powerband and through the rev range.

I have only tryed these two maps so far, and will be moving to Map#6 by the end of the week. But i am seriously impressed and just in love
with the power!

Compared to V1.1, this tune from smoothness of the rev range, to the powerband, daily driving, consistent power,
mid to top power, 1.3 just completely BLOWS it away!! No comparison at all.

Just want to thank Terry again for a great product, updates and customer service.
This thing is amazing!!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Nice review!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Excellent detailed analysis. I could not have described it any better - I have left mine on map 3 since the install and I need to try map 4 since I am also pre 29.2.

My only dilemma is that I can only get 91 octane so I figure my best options since I am otherwise stock are map 2 or 3, but your description of map 4 sure is tempting!

The only other comment I have is that you really need to be on the lookout for traffic cops!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Congrats! The car comes alive with more mods and higher octane on the race maps. You wouldn't believe it could get better but it does - by a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Nice review!

Damn, makes me want a JB3 so much more... but first I'll have to get my dealer sort out the wastegate rattle problem. But once that's done....
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
Congrats! The car comes alive with more mods and higher octane on the race maps. You wouldn't believe it could get better but it does - by a lot.
Septro spreads baby batter . . .
      05-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
Nice review!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Excellent detailed analysis. I could not have described it any better - I have left mine on map 3 since the install and I need to try map 4 since I am also pre 29.2.

My only dilemma is that I can only get 91 octane so I figure my best options since I am otherwise stock are map 2 or 3, but your description of map 4 sure is tempting!

The only other comment I have is that you really need to be on the lookout for traffic cops!
Thanks man. Yea, this thing is damn fast, once in your in third gear your already in law breaking speeds within a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Nice review!

Damn, makes me want a JB3 so much more... but first I'll have to get my dealer sort out the wastegate rattle problem. But once that's done....
you will def enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
AKbmw
Brigadier General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

can someone post up the titles of each map from this i know what map 3 and 4 are, but what are 5 6 7 8?
      05-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
so it's safe to say you are not missing your SSTT?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

AKbmw:

Map 0:
-- Disables JB3, all signals pass through

Map 1:
-- Low boost map, boost levels of 11-13psi depending on mods and weather
-- Self adapts to modifications like intake, downpipes, exhaust, etc
-- 91 octane RM2 or higher required. The higher the octane, the more power.

Map 2:
-- Performance map, boost levels of 12-14psi depending on mods and weather
-- 91 octane RM2 or greater required. The higher the octane, the more power.

Map 3:
-- Identical to map 2 with additional low end response (aka lagfix)

Map 4:
-- Hotter Performance map, boost levels of 13-15psi depending on mods
and weather
-- 93 octane RM2 or greater required. The higher the octane, the more power.

Map 5:
-- Identical to map 4 with additional low end response (aka lagfix)

Map 6:
-- Designed to optimize bolt on performance
-- 93 octane RM2 or greater required. The higher the octane, the more power.
-- Richer midrange air/fuel ratios to sustain additional torque
-- May trigger hidden tuner detection codes. Purchase a Bavarian
Technic cable from BMS to scan for and delete any hidden codes before service.

Map 7:
-- Identical to map 6 with additional low end response (aka lagfix)

Map 8:
-- Race map
-- 97 octane RM2 or greater required. The higher the octane, the more power.
-- Modifications like intake, downpipes, and intercooler strongly suggested
-- Lagfix enabled
-- May trigger tuner detection codes

Map 9:
-- More aggressive race map
-- 100 octane RM2 or greater required. The higher the octane, the more power.
-- Intake, downpipes, and intercooler required
-- Lagfix enabled
-- May trigger tuner detection codes

Map 10-14 (A-D):
-- For use with modified JB3 boards only

Map 15 (F):
-- For use with tuning gauge only
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
AKbmw
Brigadier General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

thanks alot bro! so this means that since i fill 91 octane only i can only use map 2 or 3? i want to use map 4 but i dont fill up 93 octane.. and anything above map 5 will show the dealership that ive had a tune? this is odd, version 1.2 seemed alot better since i can use almost all the maps. ( i know 1.3 is much better than 1.2 but i feel like i shouldnt even get 1.3 since the highest map i can use it 3)
      05-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
alpinedevil335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I just got my 1.3 installed by Terry on Saturday. I Started off on Map 3.
70 miles later i was @ Riss Racing got my dp's installed and now im on map 5. on 91 octane. Car feels Great! 1.3 and downpipes make a huge difference!
Customer support @ BMS is excellent! Terry is awesome! same goes for the guys at Riss Racing. Thanks Anthony,Daniel and James@ riss you guys are awesome.
bot Riss and Bms make great products!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
so it's safe to say you are not missing your SSTT?
hahah def man,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbmw View Post
thanks alot bro! so this means that since i fill 91 octane only i can only use map 2 or 3? i want to use map 4 but i dont fill up 93 octane.. and anything above map 5 will show the dealership that ive had a tune? this is odd, version 1.2 seemed alot better since i can use almost all the maps. ( i know 1.3 is much better than 1.2 but i feel like i shouldnt even get 1.3 since the highest map i can use it 3)
There is limits to 1.2 maps aswell as far as codes being thrown. 1.3 is alot better man! give a try for sure. Its smoother and has more tq, and just better all around tune.
You can try running map 4/5 on 91 octane alone, alot of people have tryed it with great results. Depending on the conditions, you might want to go back to 2/3 if the weather gets really hot. but with under 80*F weather, on nothing than a stock car, i have seen alot of people run map 4/5 on 91 octane. HOTROD runs his otherwise stock Jb3 335i on Map6/7 with 91 octane and it runs fast as hell with no issues. But im not sure i would go that far hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 View Post
I just got my 1.3 installed by Terry on Saturday. I Started off on Map 3.
70 miles later i was @ Riss Racing got my dp's installed and now im on map 5. on 91 octane. Car feels Great! 1.3 and downpipes make a huge difference!
Customer support @ BMS is excellent! Terry is awesome! same goes for the guys at Riss Racing. Thanks Anthony,Daniel and James@ riss you guys are awesome.
bot Riss and Bms make great products!
Ya, Terry was great to work with, very good customer service answering all my questions and concern, and follow up support was AMAZING.
Appreciate 0