E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW SSK

05-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Barbera Red 09' 335i Coupe

BMW SSK

Would a BMW SSK void my warranty or since it is a BMW part it would not? Also, in order for it not to void would BMW have to install it?
(If the answers are it wont void, where can i get the best price on it)
Thanks,
Matt.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
dbtran
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 - Alpine

No it will not void your warranty. www.getbmwparts.com
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It won't void your warranty, but it won't make your shifts awesome either. Better than stock, but only just.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Mazen
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtran View Post
No it will not void your warranty. www.getbmwparts.com
couldn't have said it better myself. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
buy mine....

it's like brand new

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264090
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Buy it and install it yourself, it's not difficult. It makes driving much more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

alright so if it doesnt void, if something goes bad with the car and has to do with that section of the car.. its covered by my warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitBoyM View Post
alright so if it doesnt void, if something goes bad with the car and has to do with that section of the car.. its covered by my warranty?
isnt that the definition of "not voiding your warranty"?

or better put, you just answered you're own question.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Anyone heard of the Magnusson Moss Act? Anyone?

Here, I even googled it up for you guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.
That means no AFTERMARKET PARTS installed on your consumer product, i.e. the CAR, can "void" any implied warranty. It's been like this for more than a quarter century.

The flip side of that coin, if your installation of the said part resulted in a broken part, the manufacturer is under absolutely NO LIABILITY to replace that part for you under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

Go with the UUC Evo3 SSK. I had the guys from UUC tell me that many BMW dealerships are installing the UUC SSK's in cars as a dealer upgrade option. So I would say that BMW really wouldn't "void" your warranty for having an aftermarket SSK installed, but it is up to you. I do know that UUC is offering us a great package buy right now with a DSSR (that I am spearheading), and most members on this forum who have the UUC SSK love it and agree that it is much better than the BMW SSK (there are some threads discussing this).

Just my 2 cents. The decision is ultimately yours, but both SSK's have to be better than the stock crap shifter.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Anyone heard of the Magnusson Moss Act? Anyone?

Here, I even googled it up for you guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

That means no AFTERMARKET PARTS installed on your consumer product, i.e. the CAR, can "void" any implied warranty. It's been like this for more than a quarter century.

The flip side of that coin, if your installation of the said part resulted in a broken part, the manufacturer is under absolutely NO LIABILITY to replace that part for you under the warranty.
thats true, but they CAN and will void your warranty for whatever they want. In order to use that act you need to take them to court or threaten the involvement of legal counsel.

and you also forgot an important part of that act. If the dealer warns you beforehand that any part installed is not oem theycan deny your warranty on the spot. But you have to be warned in advance.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
the verbage i used is not correct, but you get the point.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
thats true, but they CAN and will void your warranty for whatever they want. In order to use that act you need to take them to court or threaten the involvement of legal counsel.

and you also forgot an important part of that act. If the dealer warns you beforehand that any part installed is not oem theycan deny your warranty on the spot. But you have to be warned in advance.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so i could call my service advisor and see what he says about the evo3 SSK if it would void or not? and if he says yes just go with the BMW one correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Just buy this one and install it yourself!

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Took me and a friend about 1 hour to install it. Make sure you choose the 330i option, its slightly shorter.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #16
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
Just buy this one and install it yourself!

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Took me and a friend about 1 hour to install it. Make sure you choose the 330i option, its slightly shorter.
Wouldnt I want to get the more expensive one that is made for the e92 335i?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

also, if im installing it myself, or someone other than BMW, and for some STRANGE reason something goes wrong with something to do with the drivetrain, could they blame it on my shift install? as long as i play it safe and get the BMW SSK kit ill be fine, correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Man myths and misunderstandings abound here.

If the dealer tells you that the warranty will be void if you install said part, it doesn't mean SH*T. READ THE MAGNUSSON MOSS ACT. Your rights are stated clearly. The warranty implicitly supplied with your vehicle can not exclude parts installed in your car. The dealer can threaten to void your warranty all they want, they have NO RIGHT to do so. If you believe that bullsh*t I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

That tactic works, because the general public is uneducated and have no understanding of what their rights are. Just as when you're pulled over by a cop you don't need to admit any guilt, most of the time when they ask you "do you know why I pulled you over" the first reaction is "um, I was speeding?" Boom you fell into the oldest revenue generating trap in law enforcement history. Just as when a dealership tells you "your warranty is void because..." and you take their word for it. They have to PROVE that whatever aftermarket part you install DIRECTLY lead to the failure of said part. So if you install a short shifter (even if it's BMW's short shifter) and say, the shift selector rod or the plunger behind it were to break, yeah, you're sh*t out of luck. However if you installed a reputable short shift kit and say, your guibo were to prematurely fail, there's no way to prove that the short shift kit lead directly to the failure of the guibo. There's no way for a dealership to "deny" your warranty claim.

Now, I'm not one to bad-mouth UUC. It's just not what I do. They make great products for BMWs. But don't believe for a second that since some BMW dealerships install UUC short shift kits in cars that they're "covered" by BMW warranty. Same rules apply to EVERY aftermarket part you install. If it CAN be proven that the part you installed lead directly to the failure of the warranty claim, then yes, you are sh*t out of luck. UUC isn't above that. And neither is BMW's own "performance" parts. ESPECIALLY BMW's own performance short shifters.

Why? If you know how a shifter works, you'll quickly come to a realization that BMW's own Performance Short Shift kit is very poorly engineered. The lever that controls the selector rod, the angle in which the plunger pushes the internal selectors in the transmission works, they have to be on a parallel in order to prevent premature wear of the plunger seal and also prevent extra effort in gear engagement. The way the BMW "performance" shifter is built, it's nothing but a fancy knob and a cool boot, in conjunction with a shifter rod from a different car that has a longer lower stick in proportion to the upper stick. So, what's the problem with that you ask? Since the pivot point hasn't changed, that leaves the lower lever that controls the selector rod and the plunger on the transmission side misaligned. That's why you see aftermarket units like UUC use a revised shift pivot cup to raise the pivot point while lengthening the lower lever in an effort to keep the lower lever and plunger on transmission side parallel and aligned. But what's the big deal you ask? If the selector rod and the plunger isn't in alignment, the result is undue stress on the plunger seal, and over time the transmission WILL LEAK. I've seen enough of this to tell you that those with the BMW short shift kit can safely assume that they'll need to pony up for a $500 job to fix a 30 cent part every 30,000-50,000 miles due to the extra stress put on the plunger. Guaranteed.

You're much better off buying the UUC unit or any other aftermarket unit that has a re-engineered pivot cup that moves the pivot point up in order to achieve the short shifter effect.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Man myths and misunderstandings abound here.

If the dealer tells you that the warranty will be void if you install said part, it doesn't mean SH*T. READ THE MAGNUSSON MOSS ACT. Your rights are stated clearly. The warranty implicitly supplied with your vehicle can not exclude parts installed in your car. The dealer can threaten to void your warranty all they want, they have NO RIGHT to do so. If you believe that bullsh*t I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

That tactic works, because the general public is uneducated and have no understanding of what their rights are. Just as when you're pulled over by a cop you don't need to admit any guilt, most of the time when they ask you "do you know why I pulled you over" the first reaction is "um, I was speeding?" Boom you fell into the oldest revenue generating trap in law enforcement history. Just as when a dealership tells you "your warranty is void because..." and you take their word for it. They have to PROVE that whatever aftermarket part you install DIRECTLY lead to the failure of said part. So if you install a short shifter (even if it's BMW's short shifter) and say, the shift selector rod or the plunger behind it were to break, yeah, you're sh*t out of luck. However if you installed a reputable short shift kit and say, your guibo were to prematurely fail, there's no way to prove that the short shift kit lead directly to the failure of the guibo. There's no way for a dealership to "deny" your warranty claim.

Now, I'm not one to bad-mouth UUC. It's just not what I do. They make great products for BMWs. But don't believe for a second that since some BMW dealerships install UUC short shift kits in cars that they're "covered" by BMW warranty. Same rules apply to EVERY aftermarket part you install. If it CAN be proven that the part you installed lead directly to the failure of the warranty claim, then yes, you are sh*t out of luck. UUC isn't above that. And neither is BMW's own "performance" parts. ESPECIALLY BMW's own performance short shifters.

Why? If you know how a shifter works, you'll quickly come to a realization that BMW's own Performance Short Shift kit is very poorly engineered. The lever that controls the selector rod, the angle in which the plunger pushes the internal selectors in the transmission works, they have to be on a parallel in order to prevent premature wear of the plunger seal and also prevent extra effort in gear engagement. The way the BMW "performance" shifter is built, it's nothing but a fancy knob and a cool boot, in conjunction with a shifter rod from a different car that has a longer lower stick in proportion to the upper stick. So, what's the problem with that you ask? Since the pivot point hasn't changed, that leaves the lower lever that controls the selector rod and the plunger on the transmission side misaligned. That's why you see aftermarket units like UUC use a revised shift pivot cup to raise the pivot point while lengthening the lower lever in an effort to keep the lower lever and plunger on transmission side parallel and aligned. But what's the big deal you ask? If the selector rod and the plunger isn't in alignment, the result is undue stress on the plunger seal, and over time the transmission WILL LEAK. I've seen enough of this to tell you that those with the BMW short shift kit can safely assume that they'll need to pony up for a $500 job to fix a 30 cent part every 30,000-50,000 miles due to the extra stress put on the plunger. Guaranteed.

You're much better off buying the UUC unit or any other aftermarket unit that has a re-engineered pivot cup that moves the pivot point up in order to achieve the short shifter effect.
wow, if you can type that much here and take your time and know what your talking about.. thank you.. I will look into the UUC one.. and also, ill send you a PM for some advice
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #20
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitBoyM View Post
Wouldnt I want to get the more expensive one that is made for the e92 335i?
I installed the more expensive one for the E92 335i and it blows goats.

Go for the UUC: it can't be worse and hopefully is better.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #21
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

I agree with what The HACK said...100%. I never stated that BMW would cover the UUC SSK in a warranty claim (BMW would never do that), but they (UUC) did in fact tell me that some BMW dealers are installing that as an SSK upgrade option (of course it is aftermarket), and that BMW would not "void" your entire warranty from just an SSK. But it is always best just to ask the "hypothetical" question to your dealer or SA and see what kind of reponse you get, if that is your main concern. But what everyone agrees on and is saying is that although most of us can agree that the aftermarket SSK's are better for numreous reasons, with the UUC being at the top, BMW can look for reasons to try to get out of paying any warranty claims if you have installed aftermarket parts or not. If you have them, it gives them more leverage to fire back at you, but I have even read where BMW was trying to not cover HPFP when it failed stating that the driver didn't put int the right gas (meaning from an apporved Top Tier gas station, so now gas is an aftermarket part, so you see where I am going with this)...give me a break, in this economy and with the state of car makers, they are all looking to put off paying for anything.

I am always worried about the warranty thing as well, but really, the UUC SSK is made so well and performs so well that I don't see anything in the mechanism failing to the point to where it could be the fault of the SSK, BMW or aftermarket. If the clutch wears out and they try to say it is the fault of the SSK then oh well, I fight with them, probably get my way, but in the end I know that I may have to nut up for a new clutch, but if my stereo stops working there is no way they can say it is the fault of the SSK and "void" my entire warranty. In all likely hood they will never even look for it or really care much about the SSK. My dealer saw my UUC/Corsa exhaust and said "nice" is that a cat-back? They liked that and were complimenting all of my mods (most all mine are cosmetic, but intakes, DP's, cat deletes, etc would be a different story), of course I pulled the tune and scanned the car with the BT before taking it in!

Long story short, in my opinion the UUC Evo3 SSK is the best of the SSK's available and with the new DSSR coming out for the car, it is a great SSK and a great time to buy it (that is why I am all over getting this, I can't wait to get it on my car), with the package buy going on. The whole package is only $399.50 and includes UPS ground shipping in the continental US. Check out the package buy in the sponsors section if you are interested. Thanks.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
XplicitBoyM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy335i View Post
I agree with what The HACK said...100%. I never stated that BMW would cover the UUC SSK in a warranty claim (BMW would never do that), but they (UUC) did in fact tell me that some BMW dealers are installing that as an SSK upgrade option (of course it is aftermarket), and that BMW would not "void" your entire warranty from just an SSK. But it is always best just to ask the "hypothetical" question to your dealer or SA and see what kind of reponse you get, if that is your main concern. But what everyone agrees on and is saying is that although most of us can agree that the aftermarket SSK's are better for numreous reasons, with the UUC being at the top, BMW can look for reasons to try to get out of paying any warranty claims if you have installed aftermarket parts or not. If you have them, it gives them more leverage to fire back at you, but I have even read where BMW was trying to not cover HPFP when it failed stating that the driver didn't put int the right gas (meaning from an apporved Top Tier gas station, so now gas is an aftermarket part, so you see where I am going with this)...give me a break, in this economy and with the state of car makers, they are all looking to put off paying for anything.

I am always worried about the warranty thing as well, but really, the UUC SSK is made so well and performs so well that I don't see anything in the mechanism failing to the point to where it could be the fault of the SSK, BMW or aftermarket. If the clutch wears out and they try to say it is the fault of the SSK then oh well, I fight with them, probably get my way, but in the end I know that I may have to nut up for a new clutch, but if my stereo stops working there is no way they can say it is the fault of the SSK and "void" my entire warranty. In all likely hood they will never even look for it or really care much about the SSK. My dealer saw my UUC/Corsa exhaust and said "nice" is that a cat-back? They liked that and were complimenting all of my mods (most all mine are cosmetic, but intakes, DP's, cat deletes, etc would be a different story), of course I pulled the tune and scanned the car with the BT before taking it in!

Long story short, in my opinion the UUC Evo3 SSK is the best of the SSK's available and with the new DSSR coming out for the car, it is a great SSK and a great time to buy it (that is why I am all over getting this, I can't wait to get it on my car), with the package buy going on. The whole package is only $399.50 and includes UPS ground shipping in the continental US. Check out the package buy in the sponsors section if you are interested. Thanks.

Cheers
Cincy, I dont know what the DSSR is, is it part of the SSK? If I were to add that to the SSK would the chance of BMW being a dick about it go up or is it something I hsould get, and is it easy to install as the SSK?(Im probably going to go with the UUC kit once i talk to my SA)
Appreciate 0