New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Does anyone else feels the same.........

Does any when else feels the same? Not to ruin the mood for those of us who have purchased/leased the New Z4, but I AM JUST NOT FEELING THIS CAR. From the pictures and up close in dealership, the rear is just too plain and non sporty compared to the previous Z4 with its edgy, squarish and muscular rear end, especially with the 2006-2008 models (revised exterior look).

From the sides it some times resembles a Lexus, the SC class, sometimes. While the interior is second to non, it just does not grab you by the balls and give the feeling that your part of a cockpit (like in previous Z4 and certainly Boxster). When I sit in my 2007 Z4 roadster, I feel like I am WEARING the car (cockpit), but when I sit in the new Z4 I just feel that I am PART of the car, not the same feeling.

The Dynamics: Handling and Weight, It simply is not fun as the previous Z4 and you definitly feel the extra 300-500lbs (depending on model) around this corners and even in simple lane changes. It is also a world a way from Porsche Boxster (yes I know its not meant to compete with it)

Also, an iDrive on a Roadster, do I want to enjoy the driving experience or do I want to play with a knob to make some commands! iDrive comes standard when you opt for the Navigation, but if you do not want it like me than you are stuck with a car almost $55k with no navigation, that doesn't make sense.

Yes I must admit, the new Z4 has a better interior than the E85/86, more technology, 3 mode suspension and better comfort level however on the other hand it is 300-500lb heavier (Porsche would commit suicide if they have to make a roadster with these numbers), much bigger in size, less fun to drive and is more of a cruiser.

Don't get me wrong, I am the last guy that would take his Z4 to a track, in fact I never have done so and never will, I even got my Z4 with an auto transmission and I am just now starting to enjoy how to drive the car aggressively and as a proper roadster and once you do you can not go back to anything less. For those who complain about the ride quality I say they are 100% right, ONLY if you got the sport pkg, however if you have gotten a Z4 without one (especially models 06-08 re-tuned suspension) and switch your run flats with regular tires, problem is no more. If you have the sport pkg than you are out of luck.

BOTTOM LINE IS THE NEW Z4 IS NOT A TRUE ROADSTER IN THAT SENSE.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

My dealer had new and old Z4 parked side by side. Well, old Z4 is dated and looked like an old toy (looks so simple) compared to new Z4, which looks like a serious car and much more expensive car. And I really liked old Z4 before new Z4 was released. Not long ago I wrote that more I see new Z4 on pictures less I like it. But, after I have seen it in flesh, its stuning car and defenetly my next car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

To answer your question... No, I don't feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Why come here to bash someone elses car? I for one love the new Z4, its a step forward from the current Z4 (which isnt to say the current car is bad in any way shape or forum), but it is progress. I do think the car needs to be seen in person to really appreciate the lines and to get an understanding of the car as a whole. But all BMWs are like that, they need to be seen in person!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
uslic001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 s35i Z4

Personally I like the new styling better than the old styling. With the car set in the sport + mode the handling is like a roadster should be but the other modes are better for in town driving on a day to day basis. I loved the car even more when I saw it in person than when I saw it in pictures. Gotta see this baby in 3D, not 2D.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Z4Life
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TTS, BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

IMO the old Z4 is now looking its age i.e. a car from 2003, it needed to be refreshed and the new one has done it perfectly. The new one has definitely priced many people out of the market, but now it really does look like a premium car unlike the old one. Once you see the two side by side its really a no brainer
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Life View Post
IMO the old Z4 is now looking its age i.e. a car from 2003, it needed to be refreshed and the new one has done it perfectly. The new one has definitely priced many people out of the market, but now it really does look like a premium car unlike the old one. Once you see the two side by side its really a no brainer
I agree, unfortunately I am still unsure of how the new compares to the old ///M. Perhaps I just need to be patient and see how it does in the market and how anyone who might trade their ///M for the new 35i feels after they own it a while.
Appreciate 0