E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Retrofitting BMS Cones onto Injen Intake

05-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

Retrofitting BMS Cones onto Injen Intake

After reading this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149543 I got to thinking. One of the complaints on the Injen intakes is the closed off cone filters, and how they restrict airflow due to their smallish size.

Has anyone tried to retrofit a BMS or BMS-style open-cone onto an Injen dual cone intake? Is it even possible to do without having air leaks or gaps? What about the cone size relative to the Injen location?

I love the look of the Injen, but prefer the performance of the BMS/Vishnu filter design.
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

sounds like a waste man. the injen looks great, but i think you would take away the aesthetics by changing the filters. your choice, form (looks) or function.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
sounds like a waste man. the injen looks great, but i think you would take away the aesthetics by changing the filters. your choice, form (looks) or function.
I personally prefer function over form, for the most part. I don't think an inverted cone filter is gonna "look worse" than the small crappy plastic end-capped Injen filters. Actually I think such a nice and aggressive intake design needs slightly larger and definitely more aggressive filters.. such as the BMS or even better yet the K&N ones like were used in the DIY thread. Either way if they don't fit then get couplers, also like in the DIY thread or like BMS uses.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I personally prefer function over form, for the most part. I don't think an inverted cone filter is gonna "look worse" than the small crappy plastic end-capped Injen filters. Actually I think such a nice and aggressive intake design needs slightly larger and definitely more aggressive filters.. such as the BMS or even better yet the K&N ones like were used in the DIY thread. Either way if they don't fit then get couplers, also like in the DIY thread or like BMS uses.
what i'm saying is that there's no point in spending how ever much the injen intake is to then buy other filters to mod it. why not just do what digital.james did. a lot cheaper, it's function and looks alright.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

There are people who already have Injen though. So I'm just thinking maybe there is some value in the idea.
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep

I see, my mistake. I wonder if you can order the Injen intake with no filters, and then just buy your own (better) filters and DIY those onto the end. I don't think the Injen design is restrictive, and it is (hopefully) getting a little bit cooler air and keeping the heat out a bit better (as compared to the DCI's like BMS and Vishnu). I think the red color is just plain SEXY! As I have said on other posts, I wouldn't touch the stock box without an upgraded FMIC... stock FMIC is both restrictive and crappy at cooling. Stock box is actually pretty decent at keeping temps down and probably supplies enough airflow with a stock FMIC still in place.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I see, my mistake. I wonder if you can order the Injen intake with no filters, and then just buy your own (better) filters and DIY those onto the end. I don't think the Injen design is restrictive, and it is (hopefully) getting a little bit cooler air and keeping the heat out a bit better (as compared to the DCI's like BMS and Vishnu). I think the red color is just plain SEXY! As I have said on other posts, I wouldn't touch the stock box without an upgraded FMIC... stock FMIC is both restrictive and crappy at cooling. Stock box is actually pretty decent at keeping temps down and probably supplies enough airflow with a stock FMIC still in place.

that's smart thinking. they can even sell diff filters on their site or at least say which ones are compatible with the intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Well I have a BMS already and an Injen on order...so once it arrives, I'll see about fitment and what adjustments would be needed.

I can deal with the smaller filter...it's the closed off endcaps that get me. I love the reverse concical design on the BMS filter. More surface area = more air intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

I dont believe there is much space left for any other type of filter. The area where the pipes point to is rather small, or else they can't fit. Once you receive your Injen, you will notice how tiny the filters are. Each cone is is like the size of a fist.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep

Like Thor said, even if size can't be increased the inverted filter design can still increase airflow significantly at the same size. x2 filters, even if each only gains like 10% that is still 20% more air... and I am SURE it is way more than 10% more per filter with the inversion.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm wondering if K&N (or whoever makes the BMS filter) has a patent on that design or something.

Can anyone find an open, reverse-cone filter that is the same dimensions or relative size to the Injen ones?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

I found these.

Can't tell the dimensions, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-8136-C...=pd_sbs_auto_1

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

that one looks a lot bigger than injens but then again, everything looks bigger in pics... injens are literally the size of your fist.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

This company let's you order custom-sized ones. Just not sure which dimensions are needed.

http://www.sbfilters.com/products/universal_filters.php
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMS DCI uses those sbfilters.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Why bother to change cones...you will see no change anyway.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #17
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
This company let's you order custom-sized ones. Just not sure which dimensions are needed.

http://www.sbfilters.com/products/universal_filters.php
that's a good find
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #18
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Just out of curiousity, what is the filter surface area of the Injen? Do you guys know for sure that the intake's problem is that it is not providing enough air?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Just out of curiousity, what is the filter surface area of the Injen? Do you guys know for sure that the intake's problem is that it is not providing enough air?
I've read that it's a combo of small filters, less surface area, and heat-soak from the metal pipes.

I would think that an aftermarket intercooler would solve the heat problem. So all that leaves is the small filters with less surface area.

If I can get the aesthetics of the Injen with the performance of the BMS by just switching to a different filter, I'll do it.

I'm just surprised nobody has tried anything like that so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've read that it's a combo of small filters, less surface area, and heat-soak from the metal pipes.

I would think that an aftermarket intercooler would solve the heat problem. So all that leaves is the small filters with less surface area.

If I can get the aesthetics of the Injen with the performance of the BMS by just switching to a different filter, I'll do it.

I'm just surprised nobody has tried anything like that so far.
If someone changes it and it dynos higher than you know it is the surface area of the filters.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
If someone changes it and it dynos higher than you know it is the surface area of the filters.
You would think a company as reputed as Injen would have done that during their R & D of these intakes. So maybe they did...and maybe the filters they are using are the best ones providing the best results possible for the intake design.

Then again, maybe they didn't. I'm willing to experiment, but I'm not going so far as to pay for different dynos just to see. I'll let the butt dyno be the judge I guess.

I know Terry did some testing to dispel the myth that an open, dual-cone design would perform worse because it would supposedly be sucking in all that hot air from the engine bay.

He showed that the air temps, after leaving the intercooler, were the same with dual cones vs. the stock box.

So that being the case, I doubt that the Injen would be any different. If there is a decrease in performance with the Injen, I think it HAS to be the filters.

If nobody else is gonna try this, hell....I will.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You would think a company as reputed as Injen would have done that during their R & D of these intakes. So maybe they did...and maybe the filters they are using are the best ones providing the best results possible for the intake design.

Then again, maybe they didn't. I'm willing to experiment, but I'm not going so far as to pay for different dynos just to see. I'll let the butt dyno be the judge I guess.

I know Terry did some testing to dispel the myth that an open, dual-cone design would perform worse because it would supposedly be sucking in all that hot air from the engine bay.

He showed that the air temps, after leaving the intercooler, were the same with dual cones vs. the stock box.

So that being the case, I doubt that the Injen would be any different. If there is a decrease in performance with the Injen, I think it HAS to be the filters.

If nobody else is gonna try this, hell....I will.
There is a lot of debate on whether a CAI will indeed provide colder AITs or not. His testing was on the dyno, so it is hard to tell. I just installed the STETT Performance CAI, and will finish AIT testing hopefully today. We should know the answer in real world testing soon.
Appreciate 0