ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW R50

Does anyone know the part number for the wiring harness to use for aftermarket HU?

I thought for over a year that I couldn't upgrade my HU. I would have changed it a year ago. I want to get a HU that can connect and control my ipod and possible receive digital radio. I would need the piece that goes onto the dash also and the radio antenna adapter. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep

I found 3 different options for the dash kit. One has 3 pieces, and the other two differ a lil. I even found a metra wiring harness for less that $6 with shipping. I guess I can figure it out myself, but if anyone recommends a particular harness for some reason please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep

I don't see a digital cable.

Here is a pic so correct me if I'm wrong. I have 10 speakers, but I don't seen any coaxial cable going into the amp. I found a kit that comes with everything I need. Does anyone know if there is a harness adapter so we can drop an aftermarket amp right in? I realize the speakers would have to be changed, but that would make it easy when changing the system out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
strokeZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3 6MT

Have radio like urs. Picked up harness hooked it up and everything ran fine. You should not need to replace speakers. Make sure to search threads around this. Lots of opinions but I can tell you that if you have the business CD w no DSP then this will work (did for me). I have an amp in the rear but these amps can accept a hi power signal and then do all cross over functions. You need to keep the amp if you want radio broadcast (this is where the antenna electronics lie). On your after market, make sure to use the little black knob from teh back of your factory radio. It will make things more stable. Again, I used harness w new head unit and did not change speakers and it all works just fine. You do need to wire the remote on Blue wire on harness up to the remote wire from the HU.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Jeffrimerman
Private
Rep

Thank you so much StrokeZ. I'll make sure I use that wire=). I can't wait!
Appreciate 0