E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > one more Quaife review on the 335... made my car feel 'slower'. sorta.(no complaints)

05-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

one more Quaife review on the 335... made my car feel 'slower'. sorta.(no complaints)

Well... With Stage 3 stuff... tons of power.. .and sorta loving being able to roll on the throttle in 2nd and spin the tire(s)... the kid in me was pretty happy with the stock one wheel drive....

Great for showboating... However... when it came down to MOVING fast... not so great...

Now I finally have 2 wheel drive !!!!

Stepping the back out now is far less dramatic than before... and rolling on in 2nd feels slower now that the wheels don't spin...

Turned the user torque up in 1st gear from 80% to 100%.... and sure it will sometimes spin through first now, but it's way easier to launch FAST...

Getting power down coming out of the corners is rockin now !!!! a little slide and A LOT of forward... (vs before... a lot of sliding and smoke, a battle with the steering, and just a little forward...)

Sorry this is a little less detailed than some of the other reviews.. but hey.. we've all read them before.... I just remember some saying it wouldn't help all that much in a straight line.. and i can say it certainly does ! ... and just makes fast and corners so much more fast, fun, and controllable...

I remember some saying they maybe left it out for safety, for people that can't drive... .. but personally i think it's a lot easier to drive with it than without.....YMMV though....

Just too bad for the kid in me it makes it 'feel slower' (less exciting) ... maybe i should put some crappy tires on ;-)

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST .... A BIG THANKS TO HAROLD AT HP MOTORWERKS for installing it for me on Friday.... it was worth the drive down there !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

nice! I never got to feel the 335 w stage III AND a LSD. I'm sure it feels great, my car on stage III was a joke in the 1st 2 gears if there was any sort of a curve, it was annoying eventually.
      05-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
nice! I never got to feel the 335 w stage III AND a LSD. I'm sure it feels great, my car on stage III was a joke in the 1st 2 gears if there was any sort of a curve, it was annoying eventually.
Trying to chase an exige up a curvy road was downright scary before..

It was like he was on rails.. and i was all over the road..... (mostly my back end)... I was probably sorta 'over driving' it... and surely coulda been smoother... BUT....

I think i'd have enjoyed it much more with the LSD in there..... (of course my sway bar mount tab on my kw v3 broke... so i was trying to do it with no sway bar in the front either... .. that's still the case... just starting to work with KW to get it replaced today..... in theory it should be covered under the lifetime warranty)

You've got an LSD in your "new" car... just get it up to 600+hp !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
Trying to chase an exige up a curvy road was downright scary before..

It was like he was on rails.. and i was all over the road..... (mostly my back end)... I was probably sorta 'over driving' it... and surely coulda been smoother... BUT....

I think i'd have enjoyed it much more with the LSD in there..... (of course my sway bar mount tab on my kw v3 broke... so i was trying to do it with no sway bar in the front either... .. that's still the case... just starting to work with KW to get it replaced today..... in theory it should be covered under the lifetime warranty)

You've got an LSD in your "new" car... just get it up to 600+hp !!!
workin on it....

should be 480-500whp in the next few months w same tq. on pump
      05-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

what tires are you on because im on 265 advan sports and in 2nd, i can stab the throttle and it starts to spin. 1st, i have user tq set to 75% just to keep it from spinning with the LSD.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
what tires are you on because im on 265 advan sports and in 2nd, i can stab the throttle and it starts to spin. 1st, i have user tq set to 75% just to keep it from spinning with the LSD.
goodyear F1 asymetrics brand new

I've got
Rev 2 CANbus... Global UT at 80% on the 4-30 maps
Vishnu Exhaust
DCI
VK Intercooler
Riss Catted DPs (but stage 3 doesn't seem to give me issues..... for the track i'd drop to stage 2 to be safe.. but for little bursts locally.. 3 seems ok)
1st and 2nd at 100%... it will still spin in 1st.. i haven't fine tuned that.. i'm thinking of dropping to maybe 92-95% ... for a light spin... ... although it's pretty easy to modulate with the foot as it is...

I used to be on the F1 All Seasons.... pretty worn... with the 1st gear UT set at 80% and it would still spin like crazy (PRE-LSD) though ... (i did have the new new tires on for a couple days before the LSD.. and they would also spin pretty easy)

I'm running on 91 octane here in CA (haven't looked at where you are to see what you might have)... so that might be a difference...

6MT.. assuming you have the same... but if you are an AT.. slightly lower gearing maybe ?

All that said... perhaps I've got my UT set too high or too low... I had thrown 100 octane in it before the diff, and ran around figuring out what UT worked well.. (I think i settled in at 90.. or 85.. can't remember which...) ... .. but i haven't done that with the non race gas map yet... a couple guesses by the seat of the pants.. but i haven't had a chance to put my co-pilot/mechanic in the passenger seat to play with the laptop while i drive... )

perhaps my settings aren't great, or my octane sucks... or your tires suck
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
FWIW, i used to have yokohama advan sports... they were pretty good but wore out very fast IMHO.

i now have dunlop derezza Z1 street / track tires.
only on for a week or so, but they are awesome - car handles alot better ... not sure about treadware though - but they are rated at 200 versus 180 for my old advans.

tire rack rates the derezza Z1 as the best non track dedicated tire you can buy for the street.

btw, i love my quaife LSD

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

yeah, I think thats the next bullet for me to bite.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I appreciate you non-wordy review. Do ThunderHill with the CCA in Aug. Convince Harold to make the long haul up there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Great review. I know exactly what you mean, I too was used to spinning my tires and then when they hook up the car would rocket launch me forward.

The LSD puts all that power and torque down so no more useless wheel spinning. I still spin my tires with DTC completely off, but nothing like before.

Also agree that it does help straight line acceleration, mainly because you get consistent powerful launches..and agree that it is not any harder to drive/control.

Now we both just need more power, upgraded turbo's sound good.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
Well... With Stage 3 stuff... tons of power.. .and sorta loving being able to roll on the throttle in 2nd and spin the tire(s)... the kid in me was pretty happy with the stock one wheel drive....

Great for showboating... However... when it came down to MOVING fast... not so great...

Now I finally have 2 wheel drive !!!!

Stepping the back out now is far less dramatic than before... and rolling on in 2nd feels slower now that the wheels don't spin...

Turned the user torque up in 1st gear from 80% to 100%.... and sure it will sometimes spin through first now, but it's way easier to launch FAST...

Getting power down coming out of the corners is rockin now !!!! a little slide and A LOT of forward... (vs before... a lot of sliding and smoke, a battle with the steering, and just a little forward...)

Sorry this is a little less detailed than some of the other reviews.. but hey.. we've all read them before.... I just remember some saying it wouldn't help all that much in a straight line.. and i can say it certainly does ! ... and just makes fast and corners so much more fast, fun, and controllable...

I remember some saying they maybe left it out for safety, for people that can't drive... .. but personally i think it's a lot easier to drive with it than without.....YMMV though....

Just too bad for the kid in me it makes it 'feel slower' (less exciting) ... maybe i should put some crappy tires on ;-)

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST .... A BIG THANKS TO HAROLD AT HP MOTORWERKS for installing it for me on Friday.... it was worth the drive down there !!!

My 335XI 6MT is completely stock and I can't even bark the tires 2nd gear or spin anything but a quick chirp in 1st.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

you must not be trying hard enough... i was able to light up all 4 wheels in my WRX wagon when i had it.... stage 2 from cobb... not all that powerful.... and i had put like 205s on it or something too i think.. or 215 or something.. i can't remember... whatever fit....

not that it's good for it.. but if you wanna spin em... rev it up a bit more before you drop the clutch... just don't blame me if your drivetrain breaks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I have a nice curve with a launch pad that I am working up to getting a one-wheel wheelie off of. The Quaife is amazing -- it just keeps powering the weighted (outside) wheel.
Appreciate 0