New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Delivery info and test drive (UK)

Went round to the dealers today at lunchtime to get the paperwork sorted and had a go in their sDrive 35i. The spec was Deep Sea Blue, 18" multi-spoke wheels, white design leather package but no Sat Nav Fortunately it was a proper 6 speed manual (none of that DCT nonsense )

Coming from a 2.5i, all I can say is that the performance is astonishing . The gearbox was slick and I think it drives really well. I'm no expert on performance/handling so I'll stop there! In terms of looks and fit/finish, it seems really well put together. The roof works pretty silently (hardly any noise when the bits are moving) and the smoothness of the operation is amazing. The roof can be lowered and raised with the fob. With the roof down and the boot tray in place, (to allow the roof to be lowered) I think you could struggle to get bags of shopping in place, but no big deal.

A few observations...

On the white leather seats, there are bits of suede where the seat belts rest (there is also suede on the doors). The white leather actually looked a bit 'plasticy' - I guess this could be the sun protection treatment. I hope the black leather looks ok.

The red LED light on the parking brake controller seemed to flash when the door was opened (not sure what that was about),

I don't think the steering wheel is as chunky as the ones you find on M models (3 series M sport), or even the old Z4 sport models, but the 'weight' of it for me was fine.

I pointed out to one of the salespeople I thought the 18" wheels looked actually quite big and really suited the car's proportions (I had a momentary thought on whether the 19's would be too big ) but he actually thought the opposite!

Its difficult to capture the shape and proportions with photographs, but I was really impressed at seeing it in the flesh. The layout of the cabin certainly makes it a nice place to be.

Finally, the dealer said my car has landed in the UK and expected delivery is now confirmed as around the 27th May.

Overall, I really am now looking forward to taking delivery.
      05-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

I went and test drove a 35i this Saturday and had some fun with it...although I always seem to go down the fun roads and get stuck behind slow people.

I drove a 35i with DCT and the adaptive suspension.

I currently have a 135i and the handling is definitely different, I wouldn't say it is bad, just different. A lot of that is sitting behind such a long hood and so close to the rear axle. I am very used to my 135i and I think it is a very easy car to drive to the edge and very forgiving. The 35i didn't feel like that, but I will attribute a lot of that to me not being used to it.

I liked the adaptive suspension, on the smooth roads I dialed it up to sport+ and it limited body roll. On the rougher roads I lowered it to normal and it soaked up the bumps nicely. I really didn't like the gear selections the computer made in normal though, in sport and sport+ it did a great job.

DCT was great, I really liked it. When in sport or sport+ mode the shifts are near instantanious (spelling?). When downshifting there is often a burble, not a big deal but fun! I wish there was a way to have DCT and normal manual transmissions together. I am sure they could do it, but there probably aren't too many people that would want it.

About the steering wheel, my 135i has the M wheel and I really wish the 35i had it as well. It seems almost too thin. I didn't pay too much attention to how the steering worked in normal vs sport/sport+, I will go back and take it for another test drive and see how that feels.

The engine didn't seem as free revving as the one in my 135i, it was odd. I think that might be because mine has 14k miles on it now and engines definitely break in over a period of time. This might have been the difference in seating position as well though. At lower speeds the car seemed to be faster than my 135i, which was fun

Overall I loved the car, it was a lot of fun. I will hopefully have one early next month. I don't think it is as fast or well handling as my 135i, but I really liked the car a lot. And I love the way it looks (I also love the way the Z4M Coupe looks too). Build quality seemed a bit better than the 135i.

Oh, I almost forgot. There was a 30i and the 35i, the 30i had the 17 inch rims and the 35i the 18 inch rims. The 17s looked too small for the car, also I can't say I was a big fan of the spokes on it either. The 18s looked just right though, I ordered the 19s and hopefully they won't look too big on the car.

Now I have to figure out how to get back for anothe drive

Last edited by Z4-Archon; 05-11-2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Adding wheel comments
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Nebraska99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CLK 500, RX350

In reference to the driving position are the seats quite adjustable enough to be raised so that the hood isn't an obstacle, so to speak? I've heard the seating position is very low and the hood is quite high. I'm only 5' 10" and shrinking with age.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
milhouse
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: M4

[QUOTE=Z4 Beemer;5096886] Fortunately it was a proper 6 speed manual (none of that DCT nonsense ) + 10 for that coment!

On the white leather seats, there are bits of suede where the seat belts rest (there is also suede on the doors). The white leather actually looked a bit 'plasticy' - I guess this could be the sun protection treatment. I hope the black leather looks ok.

The nappa leather looks a littel plastic but it is heaven to have/use.

I don't think the steering wheel is as chunky as the ones you find on M models (3 series M sport), or even the old Z4 sport models, but the 'weight' of it for me was fine.
I agree the steering wheel is a littel to small(not thick) I think
QUOTE]

We will get a 35 to test drive tomorrow!!! But my car should be her soon, the guy at backoffice are going to kill me soon. Where is my car? Why isent it her? Where is it now? An now?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska99 View Post
In reference to the driving position are the seats quite adjustable enough to be raised so that the hood isn't an obstacle, so to speak? I've heard the seating position is very low and the hood is quite high. I'm only 5' 10" and shrinking with age.

Thanks.
Agreed, you do sit very low inside, although there are good levels of adjustment on the seats. I owned the previous Z4, so hopefully it won't take too long to get used to the long hood!
      05-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska99 View Post

Thanks.
I'm 5'10" as well and I wouldn't look at the seating position as an obstacle. Yes, you can raise the seat up to get a more downward looking view if you like. I just like having he seat down low and with the long hood of the car (relative to the size of the car) it makes for a different view out of the car. For someone with a current Z4 I doubt they would notice much of a difference in the view.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I'm just over 5'10 and sat in the car this weekend. I would agree that you do sit quite low down and therefore cannot see the end of the car but I don't see this as being too much a problem (I've driven plenty of vehicles where the bonnet just drops down out of my view line and have never had problems). Whilst I didn't get a chance to play with the height of the seat, I don't think I'd be able to raise it up too much more without my head hitting the roof.

Without even tweaking the seats, I was impressed with the seeting position but, in all honesty, glad I ordered the front and back parking assist. I'd be just too scare of bumping into something whilst getting used to the car's dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Went round to the dealers today at lunchtime to get the paperwork sorted and had a go in their sDrive 35i. The spec was Deep Sea Blue, 18" multi-spoke wheels, white design leather package but no Sat Nav Fortunately it was a proper 6 speed manual (none of that DCT nonsense )

Coming from a 2.5i, all I can say is that the performance is astonishing . The gearbox was slick and I think it drives really well. I'm no expert on performance/handling so I'll stop there! In terms of looks and fit/finish, it seems really well put together. The roof works pretty silently (hardly any noise when the bits are moving) and the smoothness of the operation is amazing. The roof can be lowered and raised with the fob. With the roof down and the boot tray in place, (to allow the roof to be lowered) I think you could struggle to get bags of shopping in place, but no big deal.

A few observations...

The red LED light on the parking brake controller seemed to flash when the door was opened (not sure what that was about),

I pointed out to one of the salespeople I thought the 18" wheels looked actually quite big and really suited the car's proportions (I had a momentary thought on whether the 19's would be too big ) but he actually thought the opposite!

Its difficult to capture the shape and proportions with photographs, but I was really impressed at seeing it in the flesh. The layout of the cabin certainly makes it a nice place to be.

Finally, the dealer said my car has landed in the UK and expected delivery is now confirmed as around the 27th May.

Overall, I really am now looking forward to taking delivery.
Awesome news! I've got a testdrive in the 2.3 this weekend but really can't wait until I get my 35. I may have to take a day off work to "play".

I've been told that I'm due my car on the 22nd (fingers crossed) in time for the bank holiday.

Regarding the boot size when the roof is down, I had a look over the weekend and it looks like there's a fair bit of space (relatively speeking) but the access hole is so small it's going to be difficult to get anything in or out whilst the roof is down. Personally, I don't see this being too much of a problem. If I need to put travel bags or whatnot in there I can easily do that before I put the roof down.

Not long now...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post

Regarding the boot size when the roof is down, I had a look over the weekend and it looks like there's a fair bit of space (relatively speeking) but the access hole is so small it's going to be difficult to get anything in or out whilst the roof is down. Personally, I don't see this being too much of a problem. If I need to put travel bags or whatnot in there I can easily do that before I put the roof down.

Not long now...
Yes, thats what I meant - access into the boot space is through a narrow gap when the shelf is in place, but as you say, not a problem.

The soft close on the boot lid is another nice touch.
      05-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Yes, thats what I meant - access into the boot space is through a narrow gap when the shelf is in place, but as you say, not a problem.

The soft close on the boot lid is another nice touch.
There are lots of little touches which shout quality to me. I was pretty anxious when I went to the dealers on the weekend, just in case I didn't like it. But, as I left, I was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. I couldn't be happier.
Now we just need to wait for them... I’ve a sneaky feeling the next few weeks are going to really drag.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
manufc4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

ive seen the 19s on a black 30i in person omg u wont b disappointed makes the car look 10 times better
Appreciate 0