E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fault Code 29F3

05-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fault Code 29F3

I am getting this code 29F3 which is..Fuel pressure sensor Electrical....I have CANbus clearing feature from the Procede, but for some reason this code is not clearing at all....I know the Canbus clearing feature works because other codes where cleared which dealt with DME not asleep while unplugging the unit out, but this one code never seems to clear at all...Anyone know if this sensor can be defective and faulty because my car is running like a champ, better than ever....There are no hiccups whatsover and smooth as can be....

Is part #7 the sensor that might be faulty?

Last edited by cn555ic; 05-17-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
bimmerlex
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 X5 xDrive35d

Garage List
I also have this code showing up. I was able to clear it with BT tool, but after restarting the car it popped up again. The car is running perfect though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

[QUOTE=cn555ic;5094966]I am getting this code 29F3 which is..Fuel pressure sensor Electrical....I have CANbus clearing feature from the Procede, but for some reason this code is not clearing at all....I know the Canbus clearing feature works because other codes where cleared which dealt with DME not asleep while unplugging the unit out, but this one code never seems to clear at all...Anyone know if this sensor can be defective and faulty because my car is running like a champ, better than ever....There are no hiccups whatsover and smooth as can be....

cn55ic, I had a similar problem when I first installed my V3.2. Don't you have the same tune also? I sent my unit back to Shiv and he said it was a corrupted file in the unit. All that he had to do was install the new firmware and reprogram the module. You might be having the same problem as mine?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Bimmer This;5095360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I am getting this code 29F3 which is..Fuel pressure sensor Electrical....I have CANbus clearing feature from the Procede, but for some reason this code is not clearing at all....I know the Canbus clearing feature works because other codes where cleared which dealt with DME not asleep while unplugging the unit out, but this one code never seems to clear at all...Anyone know if this sensor can be defective and faulty because my car is running like a champ, better than ever....There are no hiccups whatsover and smooth as can be....

cn55ic, I had a similar problem when I first installed my V3.2. Don't you have the same tune also? I sent my unit back to Shiv and he said it was a corrupted file in the unit. All that he had to do was install the new firmware and reprogram the module. You might be having the same problem as mine?

I will load up the firmware again to see if it will work, but I know the CANbus feature is working corrrectly because it cleared three other fault codes and they haven't come back so far, so I think the unit is working like it should...
ANyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlex View Post
I also have this code showing up. I was able to clear it with BT tool, but after restarting the car it popped up again. The car is running perfect though.
You are in the same boat as me, so what have you done, or you just left it as that because your car is running fine?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
bimmerlex
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 X5 xDrive35d

Garage List
Quote:
You are in the same boat as me, so what have you done, or you just left it as that because your car is running fine?
I just left it as it is for now. Was hopping to find an explanation and fix in one of those threads with all the BT tool codes listed, but this code is not posted there yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep

Mine was the same code yet acted very different. Everytime I plugged the V3.2 in, the car would not stay running. It started, stumbled, threw that code, and died. Everytime I unplugged the unit, it ran fine. Plugged it back in, same problem. Called Shiv and explained to him what's going on. He said he has never had that problem is any of these units. Told me to send it back, he installed it on his personal car and same problem. The only thing you could probably do it remove the V3.2 and see if the code sets while driving stock for awhile. Then you would really know if it is the unit or a failure with the vehicle. Just piece of mind. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
Mine was the same code yet acted very different. Everytime I plugged the V3.2 in, the car would not stay running. It started, stumbled, threw that code, and died. Everytime I unplugged the unit, it ran fine. Plugged it back in, same problem. Called Shiv and explained to him what's going on. He said he has never had that problem is any of these units. Told me to send it back, he installed it on his personal car and same problem. The only thing you could probably do it remove the V3.2 and see if the code sets while driving stock for awhile. Then you would really know if it is the unit or a failure with the vehicle. Just piece of mind. Just my opinion.
well my car is not exhibiting this problem, and just has this code that is not able to clear...Another person also has this problem and is running a JB tune, so this is not isolated to any tune which leads me to believe its possibly a faulty sensor because both my car and the other person both have this unclearable code of 29F3, but yet the car runs perfect without hiccups...Anyone know if part 7 of the diagram above is the part...I want to try to change it out myself...doesn't look hard at all IMO if its just a sensor plug!! Anyone that has experience with the N54 engine or a tech, please help me out! Just trying to be safe with my car even though there seems to be NOTHING wrong at all!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep

#7 is a fuel rail pressure sensor which you are correct. I looked at All Data and it is showing that part at that location also. It shouldn't be too hard to replace if you know a little bit about cars. Just make sure to open your gas cap to purge fuel pressure before you take out that sensor or you'll get fuel sprayed all over your face. You will want to pull your eyeballs out because of the intense burning you get when fuel gets in your eyes. Trust me, been there. Just a warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
#7 is a fuel rail pressure sensor which you are correct. I looked at All Data and it is showing that part at that location also. It shouldn't be too hard to replace if you know a little bit about cars. Just make sure to open your gas cap to purge fuel pressure before you take out that sensor or you'll get fuel sprayed all over your face. You will want to pull your eyeballs out because of the intense burning you get when fuel gets in your eyes. Trust me, been there. Just a warning.
I will try to get the part and see if it indeed plugs directly into the fuel line or hopefully its just a plug sensor that is outside the fuel line which I think it would be, so maybe this sensor doesn't actually have gas on it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
fnc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 540

Quote:
well my car is not exhibiting this problem, and just has this code that is not able to clear...Another person also has this problem and is running a JB tune, so this is not isolated to any tune which leads me to believe its possibly a faulty sensor because both my car and the other person both have this unclearable code of 29F3, but yet the car runs perfect without hiccups...Anyone know if part 7 of the diagram above is the part...I want to try to change it out myself...doesn't look hard at all IMO if its just a sensor plug!! Anyone that has experience with the N54 engine or a tech, please help me out! Just trying to be safe with my car even though there seems to be NOTHING wrong at all!!

If you PM me the last 7 of your VIn I can get the code description for you.

Number 7 in your diagram is NOT the fuel rail pressure sensor. It IS the low pressure fuel sensor. It is installed at the low pressure fuel line inlet to the high pressure fuel pump. It is not easy to access, the intake manifold likely has to come off. (I have not done one without removing the intake.)

if number 7 is at fault and is in fact defective your car will not run poorly. In the contrary when that sensor fails your low pressure fuel pump will be commanded on at 100% duty cycle, giving you maximum fuel delivery to your high pressure fuel pump at all times (engine running).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnc View Post
If you PM me the last 7 of your VIn I can get the code description for you.

Number 7 in your diagram is NOT the fuel rail pressure sensor. It IS the low pressure fuel sensor. It is installed at the low pressure fuel line inlet to the high pressure fuel pump. It is not easy to access, the intake manifold likely has to come off. (I have not done one without removing the intake.)

if number 7 is at fault and is in fact defective your car will not run poorly. In the contrary when that sensor fails your low pressure fuel pump will be commanded on at 100% duty cycle, giving you maximum fuel delivery to your high pressure fuel pump at all times (engine running).
I know the code description....fuel pressure sensor electrical
Can't you get that info without my vin? I am not understanding...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
fnc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 540

Quote:
I know the code description....fuel pressure sensor electrical
Can't you get that info without my vin? I am not understanding...
The VIN allows me to get the specifics as they apply to your vehicle. All fault codes are no longer the same accross the board for models / engines.

Your code was not read by a factory scan tool. Therefore the description may not be 100% accurate. Clearly it is not, it does not specifiy the exact part, being there are multiple fuel pressure sensors. Do you have the associated P-code?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
There is another fuel pressure sensor at the fuel rail. Part Number 13537537319. $60 at Tischer.

Part number 2 on this page:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=13&fg=15
Attached Images

Last edited by scottp999; 05-13-2009 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Also, they are writing the Bentley service manual for our cars right now. Please hurry and give input to things you want to make sure are covered. I posted about the 2 main fuel pressure sensors, injectors, coils, and HPFP: http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/th...34638&tstart=0

To get on the notification list when the manual is ready go here and sign up:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw...35i/2007-2009/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #16
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 E92 335

Anyone have any more information on this fault code?

My car just started giving me this code, but the car still runs great. However, on cold starts, I have noticed minor misfires for about 10 seconds. Could be unrelated...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

To report back on this issue....I have this code like forever and it never clears but the car still runs perfect which leads me to believe its a faulty sensor....Anyway about two weeks ago I cleared codes with my Procede and the 29f3 code disappears and never returned...It been two weeks and the code hasn't come back, whereas before as soon as I clear it, it immediately comes back!! I don't know what happened but I guess it must of somehow starting to work properly again...Now all I see on my Can DME code is "0" which means no codes!!! The new V4 map 6-16 is making my car run like a champ...I know everyone says "BLA BLA BLA car is running better than before" but it truely is because now its optimizing my setting to allow me to run it to the max with my mods with different temps outside! I have the Can-clear option turned off!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #18
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

code is still no longer present! Very confused, but I am very happy I am no longer seeing that annoying code..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
evas10n
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

did anyone ever change this part? i found it after installing my jb4
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #20
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evas10n View Post
did anyone ever change this part? i found it after installing my jb4
I get this code occasionally and its seems to be just that, a faulty sensor...So far I cleared it about 10 times and it comes back once in a while...I have had this code since I first read it about 1000 miles of owning the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
JDrillingJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I just posted about this and I can't get the sucker to clear. I am running JB+ at 100% and using the BMS CAN Tool.
      12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #22
335iBoii
Take Off*
Rep

in the same boat, very interested to hear for a solution!!