E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ESS Stage 2 Review + Same dyno, same day...

05-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Helios
RFTs suck!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 MW M3

ESS Stage 2 Review + Same dyno, same day...

I was just reading through the forum (not too much going on Sat. mornings lol) and saw some ESS flash dynos that didn't look ANYTHING like the dyno's I've done.

I think posting up what I pulled on the dyno might help clear the air a bit since that day we dynoed a stock 335i (6mt) and an ESS Stage 2 135i (6mt) on the same Dynojet, back to back.

The stock 335i had about 30k miles and my 135i was barely broken in, so I'm positive an adaptation reset followed by some hard driving will yield higher numbers (it's what almost everyone does when they dyno these cars). BUT, I wasn't really too concerned with peak numbers but rather the difference between a stock 335i and my car. Also, numbers don't matter much to me considering that the ESS is by far the best performing tune in the market in my opinion. I've personally had Active's tune, and driven Procede cars and JB3 powered cars and the Procede is the only one that I would buy (of the piggy's).

I wanted something that had less boost, still made good power, and most importantly, DROVE WELL! Most of the other tunes I've driven on feel plainly unhealthy to be quite honest. I wouldn't take my car higher than 14 psi EVER, and some of these tunes are going higher, and leaner! I'm not an expert, but I've been around cars for a long time and that just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I don't want to bash or praise anyone, I'm just saying that in my particular case, I wanted somethin like the Dinan, but didn't want to pay that much, so I got the ESS.

The car feels as linear as stock, but way, way faster. It also doeesn't give out like before toward redline; it just keeps going! With a good set of tires, this thing must be scary!

Probably my favorite part, is that the car retains the ability to track well and be driven like a BMW, not a Camaro drag car. You can predict what the car wants to do, give it throttle bleeps around corners, and the car is completely linear. Some of the guys with other tunes on the track need to turn them off completely or go almost to stock levels because the car has crazy torque peaks and doesn't put the power down smoothly and in a predictable manner.

I also have a Bavarian Technic diagnostic tool and have yet to pull a code that had anything to do with AFR, manipulation, DME, etc.

It really sucks that the ESS is getting somewhat tarnished by some people, but at the same time it sucks that some people have had bad experiences as well. All I can do is *try* to give my opinion since I was in the market for a tune long before I even bought my 135i and ESS has exceeded my expectations.

I've had the tune for a couple of thousand miles now and just installed a new exhaust system. I re-dynoed last week (on a hotter/more humid day) and pulled +6 WHP and +8 Ft. Lbs, just to give you guys an update.

Anyway, enough blabbing, here are the dynoes:

** I know some people show SAE #'s, and they were like 2-3 HP off. I was more concerned about the difference with a stock car. Regardles I'll find the printouts and scan them **

*** Also, sorry that the RPM scale is different. The dyno operator recorded the run like this ***

BMW 335i: 100% stock w/ 30k miles

BMW 135i: ESS Stage 2, completely stock after that w/ 3k miles

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
SG333E
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 335 Sedan 6MT

Good info, but same dyno, same day, different car isn't exactly scientific.
2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er > MTBR.com
2008 German Shorthair Pointer > Shorthairs.net
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

~60whp and ~70wtq. Not bad.......
      05-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Dif cars invalidates your delta data...but glad to see reasonable #s on your dyno..now get a baseline for that 135i
      05-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG333E View Post
Good info, but same dyno, same day, different car isn't exactly scientific.
+1 Yea that's too much a leap between different cars. Baseline the 135i and let's see the delta with the ESS stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

That's pretty consistent with my 135i baseline, those gains are what's advertised and what should be expected. Glad it worked out for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
ar design
United_States
Rep

The Stage 2 flash is advertised at 375bhp. Looks like is making that, maybe even a hair more.

Where is all the ESS bashing now?
      05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
The Stage 2 flash is advertised at 375bhp. Looks like is making that, maybe even a hair more.

Where is all the ESS bashing now?
Are you serious?
Wow i find it hysterical how some of the sponsors on this site act extremely childish.
Seriously these numbers look great for the stage 2 flash.. the other person who is having issues with his flash does not even resemble numbers remotely close to these.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
ar design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Are you serious?
Wow i find it hysterical how some of the sponsors on this site act extremely childish.
Seriously these numbers look great for the stage 2 flash.. the other person who is having issues with his flash does not even resemble numbers remotely close to these.
IIRC he is making 312whp? This is a 6mt, that is an auto, and its a different dyno. Within reasonable margin, IMO.