BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Lowering springs and track handling

i know the optimal steup for track would be KW clubsport coilovers, etc... however i dont exatcly have close to 3500 to drop on suspension for this car at the moment. plus i have EDC, and i would hate to waste that option and have to disable it...

Now im thinking of getting H&R springs for 2 reasons 1)lower, 2) possibly slightly better handling at the track?

i will also be running on DOT comp tires and have proper brakes before my next track day.

so my question is, for those who HAVE EDC and LOWERING SPRINGS and took your car out to a track day, how did it feel compared to stock?

BTW, i have about 8 years of racing experience in Karts and formula cars, however im just getting into street cars, and i know it's a whole different animal.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks (next autocross) on the H&R Sports. I'm also pairing them up with the Dinan camber plates.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I don't have the answer but my suspicion is that Dinan would be best. There are a couple of people on this forum who are experienced on the track and have recently installed Dinan springs. I am hoping to hear their impressions. I really worry about making the car worse with lowering springs. I have a friend that put H&R springs on his 335 and it was bouncy at speed and he regretted it. I'm also concerned with the issue of having problems with the EDC while having lowering spings on as these units cost a fortune. At least with coilovers you are not going to damage the stock suspension because it is replaced. With the cost of installation and alignment I want to let the issue play itself out before I make a decision.
      05-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
I just got the dinan springs installed, subtle drop but the car feels tight. I found some isolated roads and let loose on some twisties, the handling was improved as I could take turns faster without having to put much effort into the steering. I'll be hitting the track and will be giving an update soon.
      05-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

I have H&R springs and have done a few autoXs and a lot of canyon drives. The car def. feels a lot better. Feels more controlled and u can carry a higher speed in the turns, coming in and out. Also I drove my car and another stock E90 M3 in a auto x event back to back basically and my car had a lot less under steer. So for 320 bucks I think it was def. worth it. Im sure eventually u will want coils anyway but for the price u can get springs and save for coils. Thats what im doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
fsiman3
4D Race Group
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 [E92]

I ran a few times on the track (Sebring and PBIR) with my car STOCK...I was a bit of a novice I must say, so the feel of the vehicle I felt was more driver imput. As I felt more comfortable on the track (and rode on some 911's) I started to feel that the E-92 had just a bit too much roll and understeer. (in adition to terrible stock pads and NO exhaust tone!).

I went to Active and went with their full x-pipe / exhaust system (sounds amazing on the track) and for the time being (also saving my $3K for P-Cups) I went with the economic option and slapped on some H&R Sport Plus Springs from Turnner.

I've taken this set up (along with new Pagid yellow pads) a few times over to HOMESTEAD and love it! Car feels a lot better. I figure once my shocks start to go I'll move to KWs, but for $300 + Install the HR Sport Plus are a great bang for the buck, especially on the track!
Appreciate 0