E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MY08 320d LPG fumigation

05-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
zhuntai
Rep
Drives: 2009 320d Space Grey

MY08 320d LPG fumigation

Hmmm... I can't believe I've only had this bad boy for a little while and I'm contemplating a mod.

Looking into LPG fumigation (where LPG is added to the air intake to help the diesel burn) for a number of reasons:

1. Increased power and torgue
2. Increased responsiveness/reduced turbo lag
3. Increased range (bi-fuel + better consumption
4. Other stuff (enviro, cost)

Doing some research and wondering if anyone on here has done anything similar. Note that diesel and petrol lpg mods are very different so I'd prefer to hear about diesel.

On another note, I'm in Australia and there are a number of companies that do the work (DieselGas Technologies, DieselGas Australia, D-GAS). Has anyone had any experience? I don't read too much into the testimonials they put on their websites hahaha.

Also wondering what effect this will have on my new car warranty. The companies say legally they can't void anything because their systems are so advanced nothing can go wrong but I'm taking that with a dash of salt.

Spare $0.02?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
GR8DEL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I've done some research on LPG. That being said, I am not an expert; rather I have a baseline knowledge.

LPG is known to increase performance by up to 40%, reduce fuel consumption and burns cleaner. Basically the gas is mixed in with the air, and when ignited promotes a more even and complete burn which results in the aforementioned benefits. As you may already know it requires some pretty heavy modifications to implement a system like this in a vehicle. Also, you have to be very careful that you don't introduce too much LPG into the system as it will destroy the engine in a hurry.

That being said, LPG does in-fact accomplish all your bullets listed. However, I would pretty much guarantee that it voids your warranty as a LPG rich mixture will destroy the engine. The company can claim that it will not void the warranty because their system is "advanced," but that's like Shiv saying a procede won't void a warranty because it has overboost protection.

Just be careful with your decision, don't just jump on the performance bandwagon without taking into account the costs, both actual and potential, with using LPG.
      05-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

I thought about doing the same for my X5 diesel but did not go ahead as the car is in the company name therefore I can not get any rebate from government. I think the cost is around $5000 and you should be able to get around half of it back.

I know there are a lot of 4WD with these systems. My advise is not to touch it before warranty expired. Plus your engine is still running-in as it is diesel.

Have you thought about where you will be putting the LPG tank?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Tank would have to go in the trunk as they tend to be not so small. I have a neighbor who has it on his pickup. He loves it. Ridiculous torque.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
zhuntai
Rep
Drives: 2009 320d Space Grey

Mmm I was hoping to avoid putting it in the trunk. Not only would that take up space but it'd also ruin the point of folding seats etc.

My idea was to put it under the trapdoor in the trunk. I guess it would come down to size. I think especially in the sedan it'd be hard to find undercarriage space. I was gonna work out these technical things when I get to the installer.

Seems like a really good idea. Tried to ask someone from BMW about it but they've never heard of it haha.

I like the idea of holding off until my warranty expires. Even then I'm wondering if remapping is a better idea (also saves me filling with 2 things at the pump).
Appreciate 0