BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
4u3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Novice at S. Point

Last Friday was my first time on any track. Driving 09 E92, two runs were in the rain. I was running on stock tires, and did not have any problem with traction, I say that with the note that I was driving some what conservative, passed by more than one car.

I will return to S. Point, Shenadoah course on the 17 of May ,TrackDAze has the track that weekend. Has anyone worked with them before?

? what should be my tire pressure on track day? Is 40 psi correct?

I am also going to New Jersey Motor Sport Park June 20-21 another Trackdaze operation.

Anything you can help a novice with, will be greatly appreciated?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

my advice for a Novice is run with a group with good in car and classroom instruction, otherwise you are out there practising the wrong line and developeing bad habits.
      05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Shenandoah is a tight course - has been likened to a giant auto-x course. Some don't like it because of it, but I absolutely loved it. Very technical, so try to get an instructor in the car for as many sessions as you can.

I'm at intermediate level and being signed off for solo drives was a mixed blessing. Some laps I learned a lot, some I didn't. I think next time I'll ask for an instructor at least initially.

And don't overdrive the car - the more you do that on Shenandoah, the more you will kill the tires. I wonder if this is the best circuit to stretch the M3's legs... probably not...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
kieranlavin
Rep
Drives: other

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u3 View Post
I am also going to New Jersey Motor Sport Park June 20-21 another Trackdaze operation.
On the Thunderbolt course? Because I will be there with NASA/PDA on the Lightning Course that weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I'm at intermediate level and being signed off for solo drives was a mixed blessing. Some laps I learned a lot, some I didn't. I think next time I'll ask for an instructor at least initially.
Any good club will allow you to ask for an instructor to ride with you and give you some pointers. I was at a brand new track last year that someone in the next group down from instructor asked me to ride with him. I had never been on the track myself so all I was able to do was help him find the line. We both found it together.

Even instructors will frequently go out with each other and/or point out places that they think a fellow instructor can try something different on the track to go faster. You're ALWAYS learning something new
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranlavin View Post
Any good club will allow you to ask for an instructor to ride with you and give you some pointers. (...) You're ALWAYS learning something new
At that time, getting some solo drives was definitely worth it - it taught me some self-confidence on one hand as well as some caution on the other. If I hadn't had that experience I am not sure, for instance, that I would have driven (solo) on the Nurburgring on my Euro Delivery...

Last Octoberfest at Watkins Glen first time in the rain, I would not have taken a solo drive under any circumstance... I definitely appreciate the benefits of instruction and have had only positive experiences so far.
Appreciate 0