E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How much to replace rear bumper & insurance question

05-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
milan_ns
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

How much to replace rear bumper & insurance question

Hi all! Great forum! I picked up a lot of useful information here and have finaly decided to register... not for a great reason though :S

I was involved in a rear-end collision ("involved" may be too harsh, as I was stationary at the time) with a VW Transporter.

My rear bumper got smashed and nothing else from what I could see.

I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone has an idea how much is to replace the bumper @ BMW dealer (inc railings; my car is an ES model, so no parking sensors)?

2) I've heard that it could take a while to get the other party's insurance to pay up, so I'm, considering to pay for the repair myself and than claim back the cash. Is this wise?

Thanks for the advice!

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Sounds like you have a clear cut case.

Enlist the help of an accident management company and let them deal with it. You should be supplied with a like for like car whilst yours is fixed and all costs will be recovered from the third party.

Try a search for - Drive Assist, Helphire, Angel Assistance etc.

You really shouldn't have to suffer for someone else's mistake.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
+1 what will says, end of the day your car was parked,i allways get the police there, makes the case much easyer, was you in the car when this happend, maybe not now but after a few days you could get neck pains, should get yourself checked out, and put in for a claim,
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
When mine got thumped per the thread below, the cost of the repairs was in the region of £1500.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98385

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I would not fix your car and try and claim back. You will struggle getting your money.

Let your insurance company persue the case.

I take it the other party has admitted liability

Welcome to e90post bud.
      05-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I thought all insurance companies repair the car asap and then claim it back from the 3rd party afterwards?

The missus had an MR2 roadster a few years ago that got rear ended but pushed her into the car in front. Took a year for the insurance companies to sort themselves out (arguaments over blame etc), but the car was taken in for repairs within a couple of days.

Hope you get it sorted soon, but as Carlos says, defo wait for the insurance to sort.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

I had my front replaced after the Mrs bent the lower splitter part on a low cut tree stump..

Ok, so there are a few more gizmos in the front, but the 'damage' at Wakefield BMW was about £1k.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
milan_ns
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the advice & the welcome guys!

The other party didn't admit in writing, yet (bump happened on Saturday), but seemed a decent person. I took photos at the scene and also have a copy of his driving licence.

@jjbirch
Yep, I was in the car - actually I was at a crossroad, just about to move away, when this happened. My neck did hurt for a bit, but was fine after 30 mins and it's still fine 2 days later - I still feel pain when looking at my bumper though )

I intend to get a quote from Blackheath BMW and offer him to pay up. If that doesn't work, my insurance says they will claim the damage from his insurance.

My worry is that my insurance says they will fix the car, but it also says I need to pay excess + my NCD bonus will be suspended untill (or if) they get their money back.

Should I just skip my own insurance and go to one of those 3rd party accident management agencies (if the guy doesn't want to pay cash)?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan_ns View Post
Thanks for the advice & the welcome guys!

The other party didn't admit in writing, yet (bump happened on Saturday), but seemed a decent person. I took photos at the scene and also have a copy of his driving licence.

@jjbirch
Yep, I was in the car - actually I was at a crossroad, just about to move away, when this happened. My neck did hurt for a bit, but was fine after 30 mins and it's still fine 2 days later - I still feel pain when looking at my bumper though )

I intend to get a quote from Blackheath BMW and offer him to pay up. If that doesn't work, my insurance says they will claim the damage from his insurance.

My worry is that my insurance says they will fix the car, but it also says I need to pay excess + my NCD bonus will be suspended untill (or if) they get their money back.

Should I just skip my own insurance and go to one of those 3rd party accident management agencies (if the guy doesn't want to pay cash)?
Hi Milan_ns

I really feel for you on this one. I hate anything like this and always feel I need it fixed yesterday. I hit a deer 3 weeks after picking up my car and the whole front bumper needed replacing. £850 from Douglas Park BMW in Glasgow. Also, you'll find that the is a 10% parts discount which can be applied, so always ask!

However I would recommend one of the accident management companies and don't pay anything out yourself at this moment (however tempting!). Insurance companies will take there time, since it make financial sense for them to do so.

I would avoid involving your own insurer at this point. They will muddy the water even further. Give the guy the option to go around insurance companies, however if he says no then get an Accident Management Company to start working on it.

Hope this helps, and you get it sorted soon
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
milan_ns
United Kingdom
Rep

I went with Angel Assist. What a difference from my insurance company. They booked me in with the BMW repair shop for the next day, with the replacement car waiting there. They did sell me a policy to cover the costs in the case the other insurance doesn't pay. Probably unnecessarily, but I went along as it's only £10.

They were slightly suprised that I contacted them directly and didn't go via insurance, which I found a bit strange.

Anyways, so far so good!

Thanks again for the advice guys. You saved me a ton of grief. If I went via my insurance I would probably still be chasing them and arguing, not to mention paying the excess & risking the NCD.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #11
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

glad it's getting sorted, let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
milan_ns
United Kingdom
Rep

... and I'm back in action

After 14 days of using replacement Alfa 159 2.4D (lots of buttons, but in all the wrong places - pretty quick though) I'm so glad to have my car back.

Damage was £1407 (they replaced bumper, support and all the neighbouring bits).

Angel Assist people were very helpful. Not sure why it took 14 days to replace a bumper, but since I had a replacement car, this was not too much of an inconvenience (I guess they try to make money on the rental by prolonging the process a bit). All in all, I would recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
yargnat
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport, Le-Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan_ns View Post
... and I'm back in action

After 14 days of using replacement Alfa 159 2.4D (lots of buttons, but in all the wrong places - pretty quick though) I'm so glad to have my car back.

Damage was £1407 (they replaced bumper, support and all the neighbouring bits).

Angel Assist people were very helpful. Not sure why it took 14 days to replace a bumper, but since I had a replacement car, this was not too much of an inconvenience (I guess they try to make money on the rental by prolonging the process a bit). All in all, I would recommend them.
Probably because they are actually a car hire company who assist you with your accident claim. Thats where they make there money. Most of the 14 days the car would be sat at the dealer waiting for the insurance assessor to visit and authorise the repairs.
if you present them with a "fault" accident, you'll probably find they won't take on your case.

Used similar companys myself a couple of times. Once when my E90 was rear-ended, and once when my E39 was rear-ended. A word of caution though. In the event of a write-off, they can only claim for the value of the car (at the time of the accident) minus the scrap value. eg, car worth 10K, scrap value worth 2K, you get 8K. It's up to you to sell the scrap, and recoup the 2K. Happenned to me on my E39.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
milan_ns
United Kingdom
Rep

Repair bill: £1407
Rental bill: £2200

I guess they made few quid on the rental bit

Sure wish they'd offer me £2.2k... that would have bought me lots of travelcards... or a scooter !

In my case, only the bumper went, but will keep in mind what you said about the write-off.

Sounds fair if they value the scrap properly (though it would be nicer if they took the scrap and paid the full amount... maybe it depends on the company).
Appreciate 0