E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Service from BMW or other garage

04-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

Service from BMW or other garage

First service for the car coming up soon (July), ive read a few posts here and have some questions....

Should i have it done direct from BMW or a recommended garage? Any issues having it done from a garage?

Is there anything i can do to avoid BMWs silly costs or would they charge regardlessly i.e. Rumour is if i change the oil BMW will charge me for it anyway even though i have changed it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Never kept a car long enough to need a service or tyres

Cheaper to swap it!

04-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

had my first service done by H and C motors in maidstone, independent bmw, very good personal service cost £100 including changing the brake fluid and i supplied the oil £90 from halfords. as long as you have the invoice and genuine parts used should be no problem
bmw wanted 300
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

There was a recent change to the law I believe which was to stop the monopoly that dealers had over servicing. They cannot refuse warranty work on the grounds that the car was serviced elsewhere if the appropriate approved parts were used. However, there are two issues which have always swung it back to the dealer for me.

1. Sometimes (not always) a full manufacturer service history can make a car a little more valuable. Probably more so if selling private.

2. The main one for me that if the car goes out of warranty you are more likely to get a goodwill warranty claim to go through if it has been serviced by the dealer.

This may not have to be the case with BMW but with all other lesser cars I have owned this worry has kept me spending my hard earned with the dealer until the warranty ran out then I'd switch to my local which use genuine manufacturers parts and have the friendliest service I've ever known!

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0