ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Z4M Need Help Exhaust SEC 2 or 3 removal ?

2007 M Coupe: I need more sound. If I replace sec 3 this is the sec with the resinator and X pipe would that help increase the sound? I can remove the 2nd cats but worried if the sound would be to loud + any law issues.

I have an exhaust company that can replace any sec.
Sec 3 they would make an X pipe and do away with the small resinator. If we did that would the sound increase at all?
The exhaust company said the best bang would to remove the center cats. I am concerned that would be to loud, laws and engine codes
I have the Remus reae exhaust that only replaces the cans with a small incease in sound vrs stock.

Any info would be great
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Hey- I hear ya. My humble opinion-

1. Get a tune from ESS first (if you fiddle with the x-pipe, section 1, headers without a tune you will lose torque).

2. Get headers- you will get the most bang for your buck here (real power and torque)...get ebay headers if you are in a pinch but make sure you get oem gaskets/bolts. This will make your car sound really nice and faster than stock assuming you have a tune.

3. If you still want more sound get an xpipe of your liking.

4. i am going to leave my secondary cats (section 1) alone as they really don't do that much and act as a resonator limiting rasp. If you change section 1 you will want to get resonators installed (AR25 or etc...)

Hope that helps.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Hey- I hear ya. My humble opinion-

1. Get a tune from ESS first (if you fiddle with the x-pipe, section 1, headers without a tune you will lose torque).

2. Get headers- you will get the most bang for your buck here (real power and torque)...get ebay headers if you are in a pinch but make sure you get oem gaskets/bolts. This will make your car sound really nice and faster than stock assuming you have a tune.

3. If you still want more sound get an xpipe of your liking.

4. i am going to leave my secondary cats (section 1) alone as they really don't do that much and act as a resonator limiting rasp. If you change section 1 you will want to get resonators installed (AR25 or etc...)

Hope that helps.
Thanks Burt your still up.

Do you think I will lose torq if I change the X & remove the little resonator? My Remus cans look to be as restrictive as factory. We removed the tips on Sat to install the Corsa tips. We were surprized that the outer tip goes from 3'' to less than 2'' inch once in the can. The exhaust guy said it was closer to 1.75'' or less. He said that is a way to control the sound reducing the inside diamator. I was very surprized and would have never noticed unless we removed the Remus tips to install my fav from Corsa at $80.00 per tip.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Is it possible just to put those corsa tips on the factor cans? They are nice.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I think Earl (aka Palantarian) did quite a bit of dyno testing with various configurations for the BMS exhaust over on Bimmer(fest or forum..cannot remember). Might go check that out for more info. I still maintian the tune is a good idea.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Corsa is 3 1/2 inch tip. You would need to make sure the factor is spaced correctly. I put the tips on every car I own. I had them on my factory e46M3 looked great. They fit the coupe and look perfect. A exhaust guy I use has a copy tip that is a 3'' That is what we had to put on the M coupe. The remus exhaust outlets were to close for the 3 1/2 corsa. The only difference mine dont say Corsa on the top of the tip. Corsa throgh my muffler shop was going to make an exhaust for my car. I decided to pull out of the deal. I know wished I tried it. I had corsa on my Z06 quite durring normal driving and loud at wot.
www.kinneysmufflershop.com he dose great work
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

dose tune remove top speed limiter?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
dose tune remove top speed limiter?
Yes, they do. Unless you ask ESS to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had the sec 2 resonator removed

The car sounds just right after I removed the sec 2 resonator. I also have the Remus cans with Corsa Tip. Its funny after we replced the remus tips the exhaust note changed. Not saying it better bur the note did change. I think the Remus exhaust would be perfect if I had a Euro Z4M. I feel the two extra cats the US cars have make a differeance in the sound over the euro Z4M's.

I am happy for now but ever time I drive the 07 Z06 my coupe sounds quite.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
The car sounds just right after I removed the sec 2 resonator. I also have the Remus cans with Corsa Tip. Its funny after we replced the remus tips the exhaust note changed. Not saying it better bur the note did change. I think the Remus exhaust would be perfect if I had a Euro Z4M. I feel the two extra cats the US cars have make a differeance in the sound over the euro Z4M's.

I am happy for now but ever time I drive the 07 Z06 my coupe sounds quite.

Yes, sure. That and the fact of the headers being completely different are the main reason why sound reports from US users donīt work for me.
Appreciate 0