Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Am I SOL or what?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Am I SOL or what?

I purchased a CPO 2006 325xi and took delivery 4/08. The CPO report shows the front tires with tread of 7mm outer 7mm center and 7mm inner for both tires.

Ever since I purchased the vehicle there has been this wobbling sound coming from the front at low speeds. I read somewhere that having x-drive caused some extra noise and since my BMW was the only xi I've ever been in I always figured the noise was due to that. My uncle recently purchased a 328xi and his car is silent! I immediately knew something was wrong with my car and mentioned it when I brought the vehicle in for service (rear brakes alerted). The SA says he will take a look and an hour later he tells me it's the tires and he will get me a quote. He calls me a few hours later and tells me the cost is $712 to replace the 2 front tires and that the right tire has less than 3mm inner tread left and the left tire has practically none. There is a ton of tread on the center and outer but the inner is what he calls "chopped".

I purchased the vehicle with 18500 miles and now have 30700 on it a year later. Is this really normal tread wear???

The tires are Bridgestone EL42... tirerack.com gives them horrible reviews.

I dunno.. it just seems like there is no way tires can go from 7mm tread to none in 12000 miles. The tire warranty I purchased also is useless in this situation.

If I am SOL should I switch to the Continental RFT's? I can get 4 for $600 shipped off tirerack.com and then another $80 or so for install.

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Completely normal. Those tires are horrible. Conti's are dfinitely better in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
CPO inspection happens before they put it on the lot.

Check the mileage at inspection and the mileage on your bill of sale and you will see the "demo" use. I suspect your car was abused during its time on the lot. You may also need a front end alignment.

The sales guy I bought mine from tried to explain that BMW trannies were so great I could shift without using the clutch.

PS. non runflats cost much less plus if you get a flat it can be patched whereas RFTs have to be replaced.

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenTul View Post
The sales guy I bought mine from tried to explain that BMW trannies were so great I could shift without using the clutch.
All manual transmissions can be shifted without the clutch if you know what you're doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
PS. non runflats cost much less plus if you get a flat it can be patched whereas RFTs have to be replaced.
Well I have the road hazard warranty.. which would cover the replacement if I do get a flat so that's not so much of an issue.

This sucks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
Quote:
All manual transmissions can be shifted without the clutch if you know what you're doing.
You can bet that a lot of customers will take the salesman claim as a suggestion. I don't believe all customers the salesman talks to "knows what they are doing?" Imagine all the wonderful things that can occur downshifting withou clutch. And will the gearbox of the demo will be pristine when someone comes to buy it?

Demos get abused. Salesmen don't care and even encourage driving they wouldn't do on their own cars. See the post of the saleman that junked a member's tuned e92. Compare the waiting room for used vs. the dealer showroom for new and you understand where the priorities are. Now consider all CPOs on the lot are essentially demos and you get the point I'm trying to make.

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0