Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Woes. Will these Dunlops Fit?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Unhappy Tire Woes. Will these Dunlops Fit?

As some of you know, I've got bubbles in my front RFT. And while I swore I would denounce RFTs altogether, that may have to wait until a future day. Money and time considerations both dictate that the wisest thing to do might be to swap out for another, used RFT.

Anyways, I found these locally:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pts/1112931171.html

Dunlop SPs @ 245/40/18.

I'm wondering:

1. If these Dunlops are any good.
2. If they will fit as my front tires (I've currently got 225/40/18s up front), and
3. What kind of difference I can expect by going for the wider tire in the front (Dunlops vs. currents), and
4. If it's generally OK to have different tire makes in the front and rear, so long as they're paired. If I went for these Dunlops I'd have the original OEM tire in the rear (they're Italian, can't remember the name), and the Dunlops up front.

All advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Sorry chief the 245/40/18 are no good upfront. Not only is it wider than the stock but also taller. I am just about 100% positive it will rub. So this answers Q# 2

1. Dunlops in general are great. Tires are a very difficult item to gauge. Driving style has a lot to do with how you will like one tire over another but in general Dunlop makes quality stuff.

3. If you didn't have robbing issues you would experience less understeer and in some cases this is actually a good thing. The car becomes more balanced but easier to spin which makes a but unsafe in the hands of a less experienced driver.

4. It is OK, though if you like zipping around corners then I would recommend you 1st get a feel of the different adhesion capabilities of the front vs rear tires before pushing the car too hard. Ideally you want the same tire all around.

How about this, get on Ebay, search for 225/40/18 RFT, there are a ton of people selling the stock bridgestones off of BMWs. Some are patched but that shouldn't be a problem. I am sure you can find somebody to ship it to Toronto.

Best of luck.