Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > I'm switching to GFTs: Michelin Primacy MXV4s

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
dmaccioc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

I'm switching to GFTs: Michelin Primacy MXV4s

At 22.5k miles my OEM Bridgestone Turanza's have a little less than 4/32's of tread left. I knew the tires weren't going to last long, but the loud noise from 25-45 mph and the slight vibration from uneven wear is what sucks. I was going back and forth between switching to Conti RFTs and switching to GFTs. Seemed like most people were happy with the Conti's but then I saw some postings where they got loud 20-30k in. Was impressed with all of the great reviews on the Michelin Primacy MXV4's, so I decided to go that route. New tires should be on the car hopefully this Wednesday, looking forward to a smoother ride!

If anyone has tips on what to carry for backup, let me know. Can't decide if I want the Conti Comfort Kit (where do you even buy one of those?) or an actual spare in the trunk.

Will report out on the change in driving experience!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
I'm curious to find out what you think of the Primacy MXV4's.

I bought a compact spare from leatherz.com. It was expensive and it takes up space in my trunk. Another option is to buy a 5th BMW alloy wheel and put a full sized tire on it. I'm starting to think that is the best option. With the staggered setup, I don't know whether I should get a 8x17 wheel or a 8.5x17 wheel so it would work in front or in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Everytime I see the term GFT I think "Girl-friend tire...wtf?"

Hehe.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
dmaccioc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok just got home from getting the Primacys installed. NIGHT AND DAY difference. The car is completely quiet, and rough, uneven pavement is no longer an issue. I hadn't even realized how accustomed I had become to hearing loud tire noise at 25 mph... I was in stop and go traffic for the first few minutes and had to keep checking the speedometer to make sure the car was actually slowing down when I braked! Just completely silent. I'm a happy camper.

As I mentioned above, the ride is definitely smoother without any suspension crashes on large bumps. The ride/handling blend seems much better balanced. Steering feel seems to be a little lighter, particularly at lower speeds, but still feels BMW-weighty. I haven't tested handling too much yet. There is a turn on the highway that is supposed to be 50mph, I usually do 65-70, it took the turn no problem though it seemed a little cushier than before. Not as much of that "I'm on rails" feeling as with the RFTs, but for my driving style completely acceptable.

Now I just need to figure the spare/backup kit plan out. Bottom line, I would definitely recommend for any current e90 owner to switch to go-flats.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Thanks for your report.

I think most people that spend lots of time on lousy roads will be happier with non-RFT's. I am.

If I lived in Germany, I would have kept the RFT's because of their razor sharp steering response and added safety. But given the terrible roads I drive every day, the RFT's were so harsh I had to slow down to avoid my car hopping around and getting beat up. I slowed down so much I took the turns slower in my E90 than I took them in my wife's Camry. Not any more...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
dmaccioc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

completely agree. the bay area is chock full o' rough roads, rfts are tough here. we shouldn't be getting passed by camrys!!! blasphemy.
Appreciate 0