Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 275/30/19 General Exclaim UHP

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

275/30/19 General Exclaim UHP

Replacing my GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 265/30/19 rears with a set of these...What do you guys think? I placed the order through already so won't change my mind at this point. I based my decision on the following:

1) Rarely visit track
2) This new set of tires has great reviews on Tire Rack
3) Price is very good so burning through a set of these won't feel as bad as doing it on my GY Eagle F1s
4) Lots of ppl on this forum are running them and have had no negative feedback

Especially interested in thoughts/comments from current/previous owners of this set of tires...Not interested in the type of comments: "you're driving a so and so car you should get a million dollar tire"...please keep it TECHNICAL!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

I haven't seen that many/if any people go from GSD3's to UHP's. BTW was there a big difference between your OEM RFT's and the GSD3's?
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I didn't have run flats on this car when I got it as I opted out of getting the stock wheels/tires from BMW as I had my own set of tires/rims to put on...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

I think going from GSD3's to Generals in a serious downgrade.

I had them for a season and couldn't stand them. Price and a vendor is what convinced me to get them. The money I saved wasn't worth it. Got F1 aymmetrics now and the difference is night and day. Judging by your mod list, you like to drive the car. Generals are not the tire for you. We have some similar performance mods.. running V3 and kw2's with generals makes no sense. I learned the hard way. Just my 2cents
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

The first 1.5k miles these tires don't grip that well dry. Wet they're awesome. After breaking in though, they stick really well. I'm very happy with them. They still look brand new after 2k miles, have a pretty aggressive look, and you can definitely go with 275's in the back.

My only real complaint is that they offer no real rim protection. The stock RFT's had that nice edge on them that jutted out over the rim lips. These don't have anything like that.

But for the price, they are totally worth it. You can spend a lot more, but I think it's unnecessary. For those who do...and who have the cash and want to...that's totally cool. I don't think they're wasting their money. But they shouldn't look down their noses at the rest of us. The margin of difference between the top end tires and the Generals is not the same as say BBS rims vs. Miros.

The only other tire I would consider in this price range is the Vredestein Sessanta UltraC. Those will probably be my replacements once the Generals go.
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep

How do you figure they have an aggressive look? They have an all season tread pattern and are rated M&S.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
I think going from GSD3's to Generals in a serious downgrade.

I had them for a season and couldn't stand them. Price and a vendor is what convinced me to get them. The money I saved wasn't worth it. Got F1 aymmetrics now and the difference is night and day. Judging by your mod list, you like to drive the car. Generals are not the tire for you. We have some similar performance mods.. running V3 and kw2's with generals makes no sense. I learned the hard way. Just my 2cents
No one is question if its a downgrade or not, absolutely it is. But for the price I wanted to know how "much" of a downgrade. I've honestly not been too happy with my GY eagle F1s because they got so noisy and seems that they've always been that way. Sure they might have better traction in cornering but as I said I don't go to the track. I do like to step on it quiet a bit but JUST for that I don't think these tires should be that bad considering all the numerous reviews on Tire Rack.

What in particular didn't you like about them?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you figure they have an aggressive look? They have an all season tread pattern and are rated M&S.
They meet minimum M&S tread standards. Let's not go crazy, here. Besides, there's actually something to be valued about having a basic mud and snow rating. It gives a little versatility with a minuscule decrease in dry performance.

"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
No one is question if its a downgrade or not, absolutely it is. But for the price I wanted to know how "much" of a downgrade. I've honestly not been too happy with my GY eagle F1s because they got so noisy and seems that they've always been that way. Sure they might have better traction in cornering but as I said I don't go to the track. I do like to step on it quiet a bit but JUST for that I don't think these tires should be that bad considering all the numerous reviews on Tire Rack.

What in particular didn't you like about them?
If I had to say a couple good things about them.. they were comfortable, and had good wet traction. Of course they were comfortable though, the sidewalls are soft as warm butter. They do well in the rain cause of the all season like tread pattern. They can't hold a line, and squeal when even slightly pushed. This car is 3500lbs or so.. the sidewall just rolls over and can't hold the car. I really just found they gave the car a very floaty and disconnected feeling, even on the highway. I was ok with them at first, but after a month or so their flaws began to show and I regretted them. You've ordered them.. and even if you dislike them, for the money you can just burn through em and get something better. Having the generals for me just really reaffirmed that tires are one of the most important parts of a car. Not something I would skimp on again, I felt like a wasted a summer with my car on them. Especially since the last half was with some new kw2's..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I had to say a couple good things about them.. they were comfortable, and had good wet traction. Of course they were comfortable though, the sidewalls are soft as warm butter. They do well in the rain cause of the all season like tread pattern. They can't hold a line, and squeal when even slightly pushed. This car is 3500lbs or so.. the sidewall just rolls over and can't hold the car. I really just found they gave the car a very floaty and disconnected feeling. I was ok with them at first, but after a month or so their flaws began to show and I regretted them. You've ordered them.. and even if you dislike them, for the money you can just burn through em and get something better.
We must have gotten two totally different tires.

Either that, or my Hotchkiss Chassis Brace really makes that big of a difference.

My tires never EVER squeal, even when pushed as hard into corners as I am comfortable doing. I have all the performance mods you can think of, minus an LSD.

Maybe we're both right, and it just depends on which batch you get, but I can tell you my experience is nothing like what you have described.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
If I had to say a couple good things about them.. they were comfortable, and had good wet traction. Of course they were comfortable though, the sidewalls are soft as warm butter. They do well in the rain cause of the all season like tread pattern. They can't hold a line, and squeal when even slightly pushed. This car is 3500lbs or so.. the sidewall just rolls over and can't hold the car. I really just found they gave the car a very floaty and disconnected feeling, even on the highway. I was ok with them at first, but after a month or so their flaws began to show and I regretted them. You've ordered them.. and even if you dislike them, for the money you can just burn through em and get something better. Having the generals for me just really reaffirmed that tires are one of the most important parts of a car. Not something I would skimp on again, I felt like a wasted a summer with my car on them. Especially since the last half was with some new kw2's..
Here is the thing though...With my now worn out GY eagles, they were really load man, crazy...in terms of side wall, that's important if you really take your corners at a track event I assume...If I do end up tracking the car it'll most likely be some 1/4 miles again but that's about it and most likely will be on some drag radials not these tires, with 17'' Kosei K1 rims (much lighter than my current)...

Also for me, the GY eagles that I had used to follow grooves on the highway which I didn't like at all and I've read quite a few ppl on Tire Rack reviews said that this was never the case with these tires...

I guess bottom line is these tires are not for track junkies but I get the feeling that they're better than average for a daily driver where most of the time is spent in rush hour traffic, especially considering their price and thread wear rating...

EDIT: ...and I mean, again, look at the price difference, 1/2 as much...I really don't think they're anywhere close to be half as good as any other tire in its category...in the end, they're also made by Continental...hmmm
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
EDIT: ...and I mean, again, look at the price difference, 1/2 as much...I really don't think they're anywhere close to be half as good as any other tire in its category...in the end, they're also made by Continental...hmmm
Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Based on price difference, they are no way literally half as good as a tire that is twice as much.

Unlike rims (where there is that much difference in terms of quality), these tires will suit you fine for a daily driver...even a spirited one.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #13
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

We have sold many sets of General Exclaim's with our wheel & tire packages and none of our customers came back and said bad things about this tire. With that being said, the GSD3's are in fact a better tire when it comes to traction and performance, but, this isn't a difference that you'll notice while daily driving the car.

If you end up getting the UHP's please give us a back to back comparison between GSD3's and General Exclaims. Its definitely good to see some real world comparisons from someone who drives the same car as all of us. For all I know, we may be surprised at your comments
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

If this is the only set of tires you run then I'd say you probably let yourself down to save a few $. Performance wise, these tires mitigate a significant bit of the car's potential, unlike good tires which exploit them. Sidewall deflection is one the things that comes to mind.

I hear you on the $$ spent on the high perf tires going down the drain in daily driving. I burned through a set of F1's in a year. It's a pain because you can easily go through $600 a year just on rears.

You can do what I did, keep the cheapos for the daily commute and have a second set of wheels with true performance tires on them for when you need them.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

UHP's are garbage.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrokin330 View Post
UHP's are garbage.
I wonder if it's a climate/temperature thing? Being in South Texas, even on the coldest days in winter it rarely gets below 40F.

So my "average" experience vs. someone in the North might be different based on that?

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
I think the thread design's fugly!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
I think the thread design's fugly!
Talk to the e90post admins.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I have them and I definately don't consider them performance let alone Ultra high Performance tires. They are great street tires for what they are given the price. They actually would make a great track tire for a first timer learning as they will "give" at lower/safer speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

I have the same tire 275/30/19 on the rear for my setup.
I think it is a lot better than the OEM Turanza tires that came with my car... a lot less noise, better traction etc.
Then again, it is not "high performance" by any means. I drive my car fairly aggressively (20mph ramp at 45-50, etc) and on a cold day, or when the streets are wet, it's not hard to lose grip. (then again, my only point of reference is the Turanza tires, which were even worse)

I'm pretty happy with them for what I paid and the way I use it.
I think good enough is good enough?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i am getting them
      04-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

So the general opinion is that these are comparable to stockers. I think this will be good enough for many
Appreciate 0