E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover adjustment w/o included wrenches?

04-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
ricolaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Coilover adjustment w/o included wrenches?

Hey guy - i'm supposed to have a local place adjustment h&r coilovers, but realized the spanner wrenches that came with the kit were accidently left at the shop where i got them installed..about an hour away. does anyone know if these included spanner wrenches are absolutely required, or should any bodyshop be able to have similar wrenches to do the adjusting? thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricolaw View Post
Hey guy - i'm supposed to have a local place adjustment h&r coilovers, but realized the spanner wrenches that came with the kit were accidently left at the shop where i got them installed..about an hour away. does anyone know if these included spanner wrenches are absolutely required, or should any bodyshop be able to have similar wrenches to do the adjusting? thanks for any info!
Some shops have the tools hanging around, just a thought.
      04-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
ricolaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

true...do you know if all the wrenches are the same or are they brand specific?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricolaw View Post
true...do you know if all the wrenches are the same or are they brand specific?
I know the one for my GC and Bilstein coils were different, but I can't say for H&R.
      04-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
jachien
Rep
Drives: '13 Audi S5

easy.. get a flathead screw driver a towel and a hammer. wrap the towel around the flat head and aim it at the groove. hit the screw driver with the hammer and it should loosen the locking collar enough to adjust it freely.

same thing to tighten it.. just in opposite direction
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachien View Post
easy.. get a flathead screw driver a towel and a hammer. wrap the towel around the flat head and aim it at the groove. hit the screw driver with the hammer and it should loosen the locking collar enough to adjust it freely.

same thing to tighten it.. just in opposite direction
Yikes.

Very often the springs will put enough pressure on the collars where this wont work. Besides if you slip with the screwdiver, youre going to scar the hell out of the alum collars...
      04-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
jachien
Rep
Drives: '13 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
Yikes.

Very often the springs will put enough pressure on the collars where this wont work. Besides if you slip with the screwdiver, youre going to scar the hell out of the alum collars...
Thats what the rag over the screw driver is for. With the car off the ground, theres not a lot of pressure in the spring.
Appreciate 0