Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tax Return = New Wheels!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Tax Return = New Wheels!

Ok, filed my tax return last night. Getting some $$ back, so i figured before
i get jacked on replacing my Potenza R1(?) run-flats (speaking of which, how much milage are they good for?), figured i can get some wheels with regular tires for just as much

I've been drooling over 19" Gunmetal VMR VB3's since the day i bought my car, so these are the wheels im going for. Staggered. Now, i need to get some tires with them. I like my run-flat Potenza's so i figured i will get same kind, just non-run-flat with these.

Anyone knows if i need spacers? What size? I'm on '08 E92 328i. Not dropped, and not planning on dropping it yet.

Does anyone sell a package? Wheels, Tires, Spacers, TPMS?
Also, what are wheel locks you guys use? I'm thinking of getting 2 sets... i guess this is my equivalent of "double wrapping". hahaha
      04-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Most vendors have tire packages. I know for sure Bobby@Bavarian and Supremepower can get you a package with TPMS, free mounting/balancing, etc. VMRs have 35 offset in front and 33 for the rears....so even if dropped (moderately) you won't have rubbing issues (assuming 235 fron tires and 265 on the back). You only need spacers if you want a more aggressive look (wheels sticking closer to the fender), but IMO it doesn't look good if the car is not dropped.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

With the Velocity CSLs, you won't need spacers. You can do them in a 19x8.5 ET40 and 19x9.5 ET33 which is the ideal offset for your car. I recommend a 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 tire size with those offset. There is also a 19x10 option out there if you want something a bit wider.

For wheel locks, I have had success with the RAD locks both on my E46 and 135.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
With the Velocity CSLs, you won't need spacers. You can do them in a 19x8.5 ET40 and 19x9.5 ET33 which is the ideal offset for your car. I recommend a 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 tire size with those offset. There is also a 19x10 option out there if you want something a bit wider.

For wheel locks, I have had success with the RAD locks both on my E46 and 135.
Nick...isn't the suggested offset of the e92 328 the same as the 335? I thought the closest VMR wheel offset for e92's was 35 front and 33 rear. Won't a 40 front offset made the wheel look too tucked in?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

As long as you get the correct offsets no spacers are needed! We've got several customers down in San Diego running our wheels, you'll probably have to find them in the regional forums. Or if you are free, feel free to make the drive up here to have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Ok, filed my tax return last night. Getting some $$ back, so i figured before
i get jacked on replacing my Potenza R1(?) run-flats (speaking of which, how much milage are they good for?), figured i can get some wheels with regular tires for just as much

I've been drooling over 19" Gunmetal VMR VB3's since the day i bought my car, so these are the wheels im going for. Staggered. Now, i need to get some tires with them. I like my run-flat Potenza's so i figured i will get same kind, just non-run-flat with these.

Anyone knows if i need spacers? What size? I'm on '08 E92 328i. Not dropped, and not planning on dropping it yet.

Does anyone sell a package? Wheels, Tires, Spacers, TPMS?
Also, what are wheel locks you guys use? I'm thinking of getting 2 sets... i guess this is my equivalent of "double wrapping". hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV335 View Post
Nick...isn't the suggested offset of the e92 328 the same as the 335? I thought the closest VMR wheel offset for e92's was 35 front and 33 rear. Won't a 40 front offset made the wheel look too tucked in?
They don't make the CSLs in a front 35 offset so 40 is what is recommended. I find the 40 offset to sit right on the car so you wouldn't need spacers.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah with the ET40 you don't really need spacers, but some people want to run them for an even more aggressive stance. But if you get the wheels, look at them, they should be just tucked in the fender for a nice clean look.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Wouldn't mind driving up to Irvine tomorrow to check out VMR shop.

AluFelgens are VERY nice, but i dunno if i can justify $300+ price difference plus $150 shipping (assuming there is no tax, buying from FL).... unless you guys want to sell them to me at your introductory price Also they seem to be new to the market, so no one knows anything about long-term quality of these wheels. No offense.

Also, AluFelgen, if i purchase from you, how long would it take to ship? I'm seeing posts from people who had to wait for over 2 weeks for their wheels.

Looking forward to have new shoes before the bimmerfest
      04-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Wouldn't mind driving up to Irvine tomorrow to check out VMR shop.

AluFelgens are VERY nice, but i dunno if i can justify $300+ price difference plus $150 shipping (assuming there is no tax, buying from FL).... unless you guys want to sell them to me at your introductory price Also they seem to be new to the market, so no one knows anything about long-term quality of these wheels. No offense.

Also, AluFelgen, if i purchase from you, how long would it take to ship? I'm seeing posts from people who had to wait for over 2 weeks for their wheels.

Looking forward to have new shoes before the bimmerfest
We have been in the market for over 3 years manufacturing several cast wheels for different applications one of them being our 19" 162 wheels. There are several members running these wheels and having no issues with balancing, finish peeling off or wheels bending. Our long-term quality has definitely been proven. We also ship within 24-48 hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
Yeah with the ET40 you don't really need spacers, but some people want to run them for an even more aggressive stance. But if you get the wheels, look at them, they should be just tucked in the fender for a nice clean look.
1+

To answer your question regarding offsets, the most appropiate offsets for the E92 coupe is 8.5ET35 and 9.5ET33-35. 8.5ET40 will make your wheel look tucked in and will require a 5mm spacer to fit properly. This is something you might want to consider when making your selection.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Ok, so what about those General Exclaim UHP Tires? They look like they have an ugly square shoulder, but Tire Rack rates them higher than my Bridgestone Potenza RE050A.

And i do like the offsets...

Looking to purchase within the next 7-10 days, only if i could make a decision by then

Question though, without TPMS is the car gonna throw warnings all the time?

I don't think i want to go trough the trouble of transferring my OEM TMPS onto the new wheels, after everything has been mounted and balanced....
      04-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so what about those General Exclaim UHP Tires? They look like they have an ugly square shoulder, but Tire Rack rates them higher than my Bridgestone Potenza RE050A.

Looking to purchase within the next 7-10 days, only if i could make a decision by then

I don't think i want to go trough the trouble of transferring my OEM TMPS onto the new wheels, after everything has been mounted and balanced....
The General Exclaim are great tires. I`m not sure about comparing them to the RE050A

Since you have a coupe, you`ll need TPMS on your wheels+tires. We recommend getting a new set of sensors with the new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

The General Exclaim tire is a good tire for the money, but it's not a good performance tire when compared to the others out there. Tire rack might rate them higher than others, but trust me, the Bridgestone Potenza tires are MUCH better than the Generals, hands down.

You have to get TPMS for your car, otherwise yes it'll say you have a flat tire constantly. We suggest getting new ones, or if you just get the wheels, re-use the stock ones, but as you say, it can be a hassle to do.

If you want, send over a PM to talk about the tires, I usually go through several sets of tires every year just for kicks, and I have been racing for several years now, so I have a good feel for which tires really do well for DD situations in terms of Road noise, comfort, and overall performance.

Let me know if there's anything I can help out with

*EDIT*
Also I just noticed, since you're in San Diego, you can pick up the wheels if you like, or if we ship them, the package usually arrives the day after it ships since you're so local to us, if not it takes about 2 days
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
gtrokin330
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: TT

i got a set of 19" m6 reps wrapped in UHP's for 700 plus shipping.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

Solefad, if you can make your way down here on a weekday, that will be great! We are pretty much next to European Auto Source and you are more than welcome to come and check out what we have to offer. Most of our customers rely on forum research/opinions to make purchase decisions but its always good to see product(s) in person. We've got cars mounted on 35 offset front wheels and we've got cars mounted on 40 offset front wheels, so you can decide for yourself what is "better"
Appreciate 0