Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > BBS versus VMR Question/Help

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
flyguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, Alpine White

BBS versus VMR Question/Help

Have viewed many threads and I am not asking this to bash any wheel manufacturers as being in business I understand there are different "price points" based on quality, finish, design, etc. Its good there a wheel suppliers from high to low, but as much as I appreciate HRE, iForged, and others I am not willing to spend $4500 plus for wheels and tires. Having said that I will spend $3000 range and down. Was just getting ready to order BBS CH's but have a liking for VMR as well. Have know BBS for years but what am I getting for the added cost? Are they stronger, do they have better balance, better finish? Again don't want to pick on any manufacturer but seems like you usually get what you pay for and I am trying to decide what to do here. Any constructive and fair comments would be appreciated since winter almost over in Minnesota and want to order wheels and tires. PS: Have '09 335ix coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2012 B8 S4 & 2013 F30 328xi

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
2011 Audi A4 Avant  [10.00]
Well no offence to the VMR guys but the quality of the BBS wheels is not in the same category vs. VMR. On one spectrum you will find HRE, DPE then Iforge, Enkreuz somewhere between the two BBS wheels (depending on models). After that VMR, Linea Corse, Alfulgen, etc... great products none the less.

I'm forgetting other brands as well (no offence to them) but I think you get the point.
gone: '06 E61 530xi Sapphire Black/Black with aluminum/premium/panoramic sunroof/Logic7/PDC
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos335i View Post
Well no offence to the VMR guys but the quality of the BBS wheels is not in the same category vs. VMR. On one spectrum you will find HRE, DPE then Iforge, Enkreuz somewhere between the two BBS wheels (depending on models). After that VMR, Linea Corse, Alfulgen, etc... great products none the less.

I'm forgetting other brands as well (no offence to them) but I think you get the point.
BBS has been around for many years, and is the manufacturer of a vast number of OE wheels.

BBS>HRE, IForgery, DPE, etc, etc.
      04-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Most of the rep wheel manufacturers still go through various manufacturing certifications, so you should be concern about quality as long as you don't buy from Ebay. I have not heard of people in this forum complaining about the VMRs, except for one OP that got paint/coating damage (probably from the tire shop during balancing). No doubt BBS is one of the top wheel manufacturers. At one point I was debating between the BBS RS-GT (20-21 lbs) and the VMR 710 (25-26lbs)....$4k vs $900. Since I'm not tracking my car, I decide to get some VMRs (although 713) and use the extra $3k for some other mods. If you are not carefull with potholes, etc it doesn't matter what wheel you pick you might still get bents, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 13'FR-S/15' F80 M3

there shouldn't be a comparision between WELL MADE BBS than VMR!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

The key between BBS and many other manufacturers is that BBS makes a forged wheel of such quality that it has been used by OEMs. This is important because this means that the wheel meets governmental standards of strength and durability.

Another important factor is that BBS wheels are forged while most other wheels are cast. Cast wheels are subject to casting imperfections and grain irregularities that make it weaker than a properly forged wheel. Though to be fair their are other forged wheels that cost less money than BBS.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
The key between BBS and many other manufacturers is that BBS makes a forged wheel of such quality that it has been used by OEMs. This is important because this means that the wheel meets governmental standards of strength and durability.

Another important factor is that BBS wheels are forged while most other wheels are cast. Cast wheels are subject to casting imperfections and grain irregularities that make it weaker than a properly forged wheel. Though to be fair their are other forged wheels that cost less money than BBS.
not all BBS wheels are forged btw...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
(I have briefly skimmed the OP's post and read the subject line. I have not read any of the subsequent replies, so I apologize in advance if my post is tangential/a regurgitation)

Relative to actual brand image, VMR has come a long way. I would compare VMR to Vorsteiner. From the information I have gathered, Vorsteiner used to be a replica parts manufacturer known for horrible fitment in the e46 forums. However, in our forum, it has a proven reputation and positive brand equity. So I'd wager VMR's brand image will continue to improve as will its popularity. However, it still has a reputation for straight 1:1 replica, but I can guess it will start actual innovation soon.

As for BBS, the perceived value of the brand remains consistent. I have never heard of a BBS forged wheel bending so the actual value of BBS wheels is usually consistent with its perceived image. BBS wheels also hold value over time very well--often appreciating in value as opposed to, for example, iForged wheels which depreciate tremendously. At one time I swear there were at least ten threads of private sellers trying to get rid of their iForged swifts or something or another. The only major issue of BBS which often comes into contention is it's traditional styling. This may arguably be a positive aspect or a negative aspect and is subject to individual opinion.

I own a set of BBS wheels. However, I see VMR as an improving brand. I only get annoyed when people put HRE caps etc on replica wheels. That's a no no.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

for the price, I love VMR wheels. I, too, am not rich enoughto fork out $4500 for rims + tires on a $50K car. (I'd have bought the M3 if I were going to spend $4500 on wheels, $2K on coilver and $3k in cosmetics/kits).

All in all, for $2000, I love my wheels.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
The BBS wheels are strong as hell. I went of track and managed to hit the backside of a corner curb at well over 70mph. The wheel, coil over, and lower control arm all took some brutal punishment. However the rims stayed together and allowed me to maintain as much control as possible. Any other wheel would have been in pieces.
So...no wheels are invincible. But BBS are known to take a beating. And then some.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
So...no wheels are invincible. But BBS are known to take a beating. And then some.
Wow is that yours? How....
      04-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

get used bbs's for 3k...
Appreciate 0