New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Tunes with the Z4 35i

Will current simple PNP tunes eg JB+/SSTT be compatible with the N54 in the Z4 35i?

Would it be worth picking up a 2nd hand JB+ for example to put in a Z4?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

IMHO, two problems you'll run into:

!. Interface with Normal/Sport firmware changes - probably easily handled in code, but probably will need changes to the boxes (and to Dinan firmware tune).

2. More seriously for those opting for the 7-speed auto-manual, the DCT is rated at 370 lb-ft torque max. These tunes generally give figures above that, so it may risk your transmission. ICO Dinan, looks like Stage One is in range (379 lb-ft for 335i) but Stage Two not (~420 lb-ft in 335i). Acid test for Dinan will be status of their matching warranty: will they offer it as part of purchase price for Z4 tune? Would note that Dinan has been silent on this, including no response to PM to Steve Breen at Dinan, who has always been responsive before.

In general, I strongly suspect the N54 ECU in the Z4 sDrive35i has unique code and so will require software tuners to adapt.

I've got 20K+ miles with Dinan Stage Two in my E93 335i. My tentative conclusion vis a vis the new Z4 I'm buying is that I probably won't want to tune it. With my E93, the mid-range grunt is awesome, but I can probably get to about the same speed/acceleration with judicious gear selection and any attempt to max the output from a stop runs into the DSC - just not enough rubber on the road to match the incredible torque this tune provides. The Z4 is about 450 lbs lighter than my E93, so its innate untuned capabilities should be even nicer and I now plan to opt for driving better rather than raw torque. YMMV. And if I were tracking the car, all bets off.
Appreciate 0