BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

SCCA D Stock 135 build

Me and my co-driver are starting to look at replacing our current autocross car, a Shelby, with a 135i. We are both old M3 drivers, from when the e36 M3 had a chance in B Stock. We have campained a RX8 (3rd adn 9th at nationals over two years) and the Shelby is going into its 2 year where it has won some pro-solo events for us.

We would both like to move back to a BMW and have been waiting on a BMW to have a chance in a SCCA class. The 135i in D Stock looks to have a chance (the e46 M3 may have a chance in STU but I am not willing to put on together).

So, I am looking for help with the options that would be the best for a national level setup of a 135i. The options I was looking at or made the most sense to me were:

M tech package
short shifter

From there the aftermarket stuff looked like this:

Front sway bar UUC (set $450)

Shocks (vorschlag Terry Fair said he has a setup of class legal shocks in another thread but probably about 2k)

Cat back exhaust ? (looks like 1000 plus to get 35lbs off the car)

Wheels? (dforce if they come in 18 7.5 and 18 8.5)

I plan on ED for the car 1st of 2010 and was just starting to look at the car. Looks like about 30k for the ED invoice pricing, 1300 for the m tech package and about 500 for the short shifter. So, I am thinking the car can be purchased for about 32k plus another 3 to 4k in mods.

Side not, has anyone built a 135i for STU yet to test the waters there?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

For the wheels I would look into breyton gts-r as they are just as light and are already available for the 1er...

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
The gts-r is very similar to the stock size, but the offsets are a little different. Still legal for stock class.

I've heard good things about both the UUC and Hotchkis front sways. The shocks... I still don't know if there is any clear winner.

Your biggest upgrade will be tires. Hoosier has a lot of sizes available in 18, Kumho much less. They cost about the same, but the Hoosiers have a slight performance edge, while the Kumhos last significantly longer.

There was a post here a while back about the 135 in Nationals last year. Search around in this sub-forum, its got to be around somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

I believe a short shift kit would push you out of D Stock. Might want to double check the regs on that one. Also, I think that thread about the Strielniks 135i in DS Nationals last year got lost in the Bimmerpost switchover because it seems to have vaporized.
      03-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
I believe a short shift kit would push you out of D Stock. Might want to double check the regs on that one. Also, I think that thread about the Strielniks 135i in DS Nationals last year got lost in the Bimmerpost switchover because it seems to have vaporized.
I wondered about that but it is on the build a 135i part of the options. It maybe a dealer add that you can buy when building the car out online. If it is added at the factory, then it would be ok. I am going to go back and look.

Ok, I went back throught the online build and it looks like that is a part that is added at the dealer after car is dropped off. So, that makes it a no go for stock class in SCCA. Good catch.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry View Post
Ok, I went back throught the online build and it looks like that is a part that is added at the dealer after car is dropped off. So, that makes it a no go for stock class in SCCA. Good catch.
Besides, you probably don't need it:
- the 135i has so much torque, you won't necessarily shift so much.
- the 135i stock shifter is NOTHING like the E36 or E46 item, it's much tighter and positive

Good on the ED bit, it's an incredible experience - but if you can, go in the summer (many of the more interesting Alpine passes are closed until June).

Last edited by adc; 03-30-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, I think that thread about the Strielniks 135i in DS Nationals last year got lost in the Bimmerpost switchover because it seems to have vaporized.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=regret
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
nay. the short shift kit that comes from bmw is allowed because it is one of the options you can get while purchasing the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimmelnojerz View Post
nay. the short shift kit that comes from bmw is allowed because it is one of the options you can get while purchasing the car.
Actually, it's not allowed as it is a dealer installed option. If it were available from the factory as an option, then it'd be legal.

Same deal with the HFP suspension on my Civic Si. Yes, it's all OEM, however, since it's not available from the factory, and has different spring rates, it's considered a trunk option, and is, therefore, a one way ticket to STX.

Convoluted rules.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
andrew9223
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135

my question is can you loosen the alignment pins enough where you can get that extra bit of negative camber without them falling out. Loctite holding them on by one thread would be ok. I've been thinging about getting back into autox after a few years break just not sure if I want to use the 135 or go back to my f125 shifter kart.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesunit View Post
Actually, it's not allowed as it is a dealer installed option. If it were available from the factory as an option, then it'd be legal.

Same deal with the HFP suspension on my Civic Si. Yes, it's all OEM, however, since it's not available from the factory, and has different spring rates, it's considered a trunk option, and is, therefore, a one way ticket to STX.

Convoluted rules.
it is available from the factory though. if you go to the website its an option now.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew9223 View Post
my question is can you loosen the alignment pins enough where you can get that extra bit of negative camber without them falling out. Loctite holding them on by one thread would be ok. I've been thinging about getting back into autox after a few years break just not sure if I want to use the 135 or go back to my f125 shifter kart.
the shifter kart would probably be a blasty blast but the 135 has way more competition(at least where i am] seeing as how more people have cars than karts. but maybe in your area its different.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimmelnojerz View Post
it is available from the factory though. if you go to the website its an option now.
Nope. Still a dealer installed option. It even carries the note:
"For Manual Transmissions only. Each price is the suggested retail price and is subject to change. Price excludes installation and taxes."

And when you select it you are presented with another dialog:
"To order Original BMW Accessories, contact your local BMW center. All prices are suggested retail prices and are subject to change. Actual prices may vary and depend upon BMW center.
Please note, BMW Accessory prices DO NOT INCLUDE taxes, installation or painting, which may be required. Accessory costs of your configured vehicle ARE NOT INCLUDED in this site's payment estimator calculations.Check with your authorized BMW center for complete information, availability and installation costs."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep

my mistake sir.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Now, if we could just get one to the US shores without a sunroof... I'd trade my "Year One of the 1" ring and my VIN impressed coffee table book just to lose the sunroof. I'm 6' with stubby legs (30" inseam), and I have to put the seat at a pimpin' angle and cant my head to the right to wear a helmet and drive. A MINI can be had without a sunroof, why not a 135i?
Appreciate 0